Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolution vs Creationism---Is there a God? Or is it all just random chance?

1. #241 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Leftist View Post
    Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”[/B] - Luke 18:22
    its sad athiests always insist that the first part is important but the last part isn't....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

gfm7175 (02-17-2020), USFREEDOM911 (02-17-2020)

3. #242 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    You willfully ignore that I cited the writings of Luke which includes the Gospel and Acts

"In the Gospel of Luke, Jesus brings good news to the poor and oppressed and tells rich people to sell their possessions. In Acts, early christians live out that vision by sharing their property and wealth with the poor and with each other. Luke tells us believers retained no private property but they held everything in common."

- Dr. David Brakke, PhD, professor of religious history, Ohio State University
    No he didn't; because he was reciting a parable to his disciples.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

4. #243 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If Jesus had access to the Trillions of dollars hidden away in offshore banks, what do you think he'd do?
    clean out your offshore bank account?.......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

5. #244 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Unlike you I don't pretend to be a Christian. Also Jesus does give parables of himself.
    Which has nothing to do with your acknowledgment and admission that Jesus was talking to his disciples and that you lied in your earlier post.

6. #245 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,517 Times in 52,735 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    I've worked with the poor my entire life...I love people
    You?
    When did that start?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

7. #246 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What? That wasn't a disciple, that was a rich man, a ruler, asking how to be more Christ like in front of others. The rich man says I have followed all the rules but how do I guarantee I get into heaven?

It is you that is lying about the contents. Read for yourself Luke 18:18-29 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...18&version=NIV
    and is it your understanding that Christianity teaches that anyone who gives away all that he has to the poor is guaranteed to go to heaven?......the key to that passage is that human perfection is unattainable......it is only through God that it is possible......

26 Those who heard this asked, “Who then can be saved?”

27 Jesus replied, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.”

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

gfm7175 (02-17-2020), USFREEDOM911 (02-17-2020)

9. #247 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    some here will say I am not........God says I am......the issue isn't whether God wants people to help the poor......the issue is whether atheist political hacks should tell us what God wants us to do......

10. #248 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Unlike you I don't pretend to be a Christian. Also Jesus does give parables of himself.
    so tell us....what DO you pretend to be?......

11. #249 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,517 Times in 52,735 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    You willfully ignore that I cited the writings of Luke which includes the Gospel and Acts

"In the Gospel of Luke, Jesus brings good news to the poor and oppressed and tells rich people to sell their possessions. In Acts, early christians live out that vision by sharing their property and wealth with the poor and with each other. Luke tells us believers retained no private property but they held everything in common."

- Dr. David Brakke, PhD, professor of religious history, Ohio State University
    My, how things have changed, haven't they? Now American Xtians (many of them, not all) say "I got mine so screw the poor." Oddly, they say this at the same time they insist that it's not the government (i.e., the ppl) place to provide a social welfare safety network -- let the poor rely on charity.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (02-17-2020)

13. #250 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 17 Posts

some here will say I am not........God says I am......the issue isn't whether God wants people to help the poor......the issue is whether atheist political hacks should tell us what God wants us to do......
    God says you are? You talking to God Joan of Arc style?

14. #251 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

its sad athiests always insist that the first part is important but the last part isn't....
    Only one political party says to represent both billionaires and God.

15. #252 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    Which has nothing to do with your acknowledgment and admission that Jesus was talking to his disciples and that you lied in your earlier post.
    Jesus doesn't talk about himself in the 3rd person. The parable was written by the disciples.

16. #253 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

God says you are? You talking to God Joan of Arc style?
    if Joan of Arc read the same Bible that I did then yes.......do you have a problem with people who read the Bible?.....God told me a lot in John chapter 3......are you familiar with it?......if not, here...

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. 19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. 21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.
    God has told me that if I believe in him I am not condemned.......are you prepared to contradict that?.....if so, back it up with your divine authority......

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (02-17-2020)

18. #254 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Only one political party says to represent both billionaires and God.
    not familiar with any party that says that......I am familiar with demmycrats who lie though.........might this be an example of that?.....

19. #255 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,778 Times in 3,065 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Quote: When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” - Luke 18:22
    This was not at all Jesus telling rich people to share everything they have with the poor. Like many people do, you are taking a single Bible verse out of context.

The full context is contained in Luke 18 verses 18-30. The story starts off with a ruler asking Jesus what he needs to do to gain eternal life (a question everyone should ask at some point in their lives, in my opinion). Then Jesus notes that the man knows the 10 commandments, and then the man proudly proclaims that he has kept them from his youth and up. Then comes the verse that you mention, the verse where Jesus points out the one thing that this man lacks. Here, Jesus tells the man to "go sell everything that you have and follow me" as a way to drive home the point to the man that the man values his earthly treasures more than he does heavenly treasures.

The main lesson here is not that rich people absolutely must share everything they have with the poor, but rather that we need to place God above our Earthly wealth, not letting our Earthly wealth get in the way of our relationship with God. Even more-so, we need to realize that we can't save ourselves.
    Last edited by gfm7175; 02-17-2020 at 04:16 PM.