Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's The Problem With Extreme Wealth Inequality? How Does That Hurt?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default What's The Problem With Extreme Wealth Inequality? How Does That Hurt?

What if we consider a generic society. A fictitious place on a fictitious planet.

And in this society they have extreme wealth inequality.

Most of the people work really hard, but most of the spoils go to a relatively few.

Can that society endure when everybody knows the wealth controlled by the few is enough to make everyone quite comfortable, but they are not?

How are they going to feel, knowing that their work generates plenty of wealth, they just never get to enjoy it.

Why, that sounds like the seeds for a revolt.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-12-2020), Trumpet (01-11-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

They might get away with it if the people were uneducated and didn't know what's going on.

And we do see lots of power-junkies fighting hard to ham string education.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-12-2020), Trumpet (01-11-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    They might get away with it if the people were uneducated and didn't know what's going on.

And we do see lots of power-junkies fighting hard to ham string education.
    Who are these power junkies ham stringing education?

And how are we quantifying how well educated our populace is? If it’s knowledge of government a number of people are ignorant to how it functions. Do we even teach civics class anymore?

Are you judging it by the percentage of people who graduate high school? That number is increasing but are the kids more educated? We all know about grade inflation and many graduates go to college and aren’t prepared.

What are the metrics we either are or should be using?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Truth Detector (01-13-2020)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post

And how are we quantifying how well educated our populace is? If it’s knowledge of government a number of people are ignorant to how it functions. Do we even teach civics class anymore?

Are you judging it by the percentage of people who graduate high school? That number is increasing but are the kids more educated? We all know about grade inflation and many graduates go to college and aren’t prepared.

What you Trumperoos won't do to muddy the waters.

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    LOL, ok. So no answer to the question?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

since cronyism has been going on for over half a century, how is this the 'trumperoos' fault?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

What you leftist hacks won't do to look like morons.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

No, we can't teach civics any more because Republicans cut education funding too much.

Compared to other nations.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello cawacko,

No, we can't teach civics any more because Republicans cut education funding too much.

Honestly, your first response is fvcking lazy. Almost to the point of ignorant. Since education is basically funded at the state and local level pick any two states but let's go with California and Texas. Both are big and basically dominated by one party on the state level. Show us how California supposedly invests a large sum of money into Civics classes that Texas doesn't. Back up you words with some evidence.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

hello cawacko,

Honestly, your first response is fvcking lazy. Almost to the point of ignorant. Since education is basically funded at the state and local level pick any two states but let's go with California and Texas. Both are big and basically dominated by one party on the state level. Show us how California supposedly invests a large sum of money into Civics classes that Texas doesn't. Back up you words with some evidence.
    Pardon me I am having a lazy day.

I am not going to argue state by state.

Generally, Republicans don't want government spending that Democrats do. Democrats support teacher unions. Teacher unions support more education spending, more classes better classes smaller class sizes. It all takes more funding. Republicans want to kill the DOE. Republicans don't care about good education for the masses, only for the rich kids. If you are an outlier good on you.

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

hello cawacko,

Pardon me I am having a lazy day.

I am not going to argue state by state.

Generally, Republicans don't want government spending that Democrats do. Democrats support teacher unions. Teacher unions support more education spending, more classes better classes smaller class sizes. It all takes more funding. Republicans want to kill the DOE. Republicans don't care about good education for the masses, only for the rich kids. If you are an outlier good on you.
    I have more lazy days than I care to admit. They're not always a bad thing though.

You're just giving me partisan political rhetoric with nothing back it up. You have to look beyond the rhetoric of politicians and at the actions.

I grew up in Oakland, CA and have lived in San Francisco for 20 years. Those are both big, diverse and liberal cities. I know all about the educational issues these two cities face. Which is why I know the actions don't match the rhetoric.

So you feel better about yourself making these claims that liberals care about education but you can't actually back it up.

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Revolutions result only in replacing one set of wealthy with another.
    Politics exist to ensure the status quo. Thats whats so great about having a non politician as president and why the politicians hate him.
    People receive the rewards they earn. If they want more this IS the land of opportunity. 1.15m new millionaires in 2019. America produces half the new ones worldwide.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Revolutions result only in replacing one set of wealthy with another.
    Politics exist to ensure the status quo. Thats whats so great about having a non politician as president and why the politicians hate him.
    People receive the rewards they earn. If they want more this IS the land of opportunity. 1.15m new millionaires in 2019. America produces half the new ones worldwide.
    BFD, A million dollars isn't what it use to be, do the math.

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

BFD, A million dollars isn't what it use to be, do the math.
    The guys pulling down $20k would beg to differ. But that was an example of how America is the land of opportunity which was the point.
    There is money to be made but its not just going to be given to you nor can you steal it via revolution.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.