Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Trump signals he will use executive privilege to block Bolton testimony in Senate

1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,761 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Yes it does. It prevents their bills from becoming law, as intended.
    Exactly, constitutional checks are not illegal attempts to block or hinder a congressional proceeding like refusing subpoenas.

You fail to make the simple distinction between a constitutional check and an illegal obstruction.

2. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,834 Times in 17,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

Rightys are quite comfortable with Trump not only ignoring subpoenas and refusing to turn over documents but prohibiting everyone else from doing it either. This is simply obstruction. Not hard to see there must be a reason trump is doing it. He has a ton to hide. It is tantamount to a confession and sticking his tongue out at the law.

3. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Rightys are quite comfortable with Trump not only ignoring subpoenas and refusing to turn over documents but prohibiting everyone else from doing it either. This is simply obstruction. Not hard to see there must be a reason trump is doing it. He has a ton to hide. It is tantamount to a confession and sticking his tongue out at the law.
    I am very comfortable with Trump following the precedent of Obama

4. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    You cannot delay obeying a subpoena unless the courts block that action.

If I am convicted for a crime I cannot delay my sentence until my appeal is completed. If I appeal a judges pre-trial ruling I cannot delay the trial and sentence until the appeal is complete.

When the House issues a legal subpoena (which the courts have already established the congressional power to subpoena) that order must be obeyed.
    I applaud Your remarkable attempt at comparing criminal trial to legislative hearings as if they are the same thing. However, They are different..... Now on to your last sentence-" When the House issues a legal subpoena "(stop there) The legality of the power of the Congressional subpoena is what the executive branch is challenging. The courts will be the the branch that interprets that and not the House. The executive branch has every right to wait on the Judicial review before action. At its most basic, executive privilege is the proposition that certain confidential or sensitive communications within the executive branch are constitutionally protected from compelled disclosure to the executive’s coequal branches.

5. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 10 Posts

Nonsense

6. #156 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,129 Times in 11,701 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Exactly, constitutional checks are not illegal attempts to block or hinder a congressional proceeding like refusing subpoenas.

You fail to make the simple distinction between a constitutional check and an illegal obstruction.
    No. You are trying to make a difference where there is none. False dichotomy fallacy.

7. #157 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,129 Times in 11,701 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Negative proof fallacy.

8. #158 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Chicken View Post
    The legality of the power of the Congressional subpoena is what the executive branch is challenging. The courts will be the the branch that interprets that and not the House. The executive branch has every right to wait on the Judicial review before action. At its most basic, executive privilege is the proposition that certain confidential or sensitive communications within the executive branch are constitutionally protected from compelled disclosure to the executive’s coequal branches.
    I was not trying to make impeachment and criminal trials similar--they are very different. I was talking about subpoenas.

The courts have long established the power of Congress to subpoena meaning they don't have to stop and wait for the courts before carrying on their investigation unless the courts order them to stop. The courts have also ruled executive privilege cannot be used to protect criminal activities.

Sometimes the courts block these attempts and sometimes they do not.

Appeals court refuses to block House subpoena for Trump's Financial Records
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ncial-records/

Supreme Court stops House subpoena for Trump financial Records
    https://www.rollcall.com/news/congre...ancial-records

9. #159 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No. You are trying to make a difference where there is none. False dichotomy fallacy.
    There is a big difference between an illegal obstruction and a constitutional power.

10. #160 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Republicans never even once considered that Trump might be guilty. Instead, they assumed he was innocent, and came to his defense, refused to consider the evidence.
    Isn't that what they are supposed to do until enough evidence convinced them he should be impeached?

11. #161 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You don't understand the difference between engaging in illegal acts to block an investigation and exercising a constitutional power to veto a bill?

False equivalence fallacy.

12. #162 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Isn't that what they are supposed to do until enough evidence convinced them he should be impeached?
    They should be open minded about it, not totally reject and fight any evidence with prejudice. They were not trying to make up their minds. They were trying to defend him. They were not fulfilling their Constitutional obligation to take impeachment seriously. There is no oath to defend the president, show allegiance to him. But that is exactly what Republicans did. They were the partisans.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. #163 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Flash,

They should be open minded about it, not totally reject and fight any evidence with prejudice. They were not trying to make up their minds. They were trying to defend him. They were not fulfilling their Constitutional obligation to take impeachment seriously. There is no oath to defend the president, show allegiance to him. But that is exactly what Republicans did. They were the partisans.
    Agreed, but no more partisan than the Democrats. Posters on JPP have been calling for Trump's impeachment for three years. Every week they had a new issue that was sure to impeach him.

Democrats introduced articles of impeachment in the House on 5/17/2017 and voted on this issue 12/6/2017, 1/19/2018, 7/17/2019. When the impeachment proceedings started did you ever think he might not be guilty or did you want him impeached even prior to the articles being written?

14. #164 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Agreed, but no more partisan than the Democrats. Posters on JPP have been calling for Trump's impeachment for three years. Every week they had a new issue that was sure to impeach him.

Democrats introduced articles of impeachment in the House on 5/17/2017 and voted on this issue 12/6/2017, 1/19/2018, 7/17/2019. When the impeachment proceedings started did you ever think he might not be guilty or did you want him impeached even prior to the articles being written?
    I've followed none of this impeachment process. Have paid no attention. But the idea that anyone in Congress is impartial about any of this is laughable to me. Just as there are Republicans who will fight to their dying day to defend Trump some of these Democrats who have hated him and wanted him gone from Day One now professing principled and non prejudicial positions in backing impeachment is a joke.

15. #165 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I've followed none of this impeachment process. Have paid no attention. But the idea that anyone in Congress is impartial about any of this is laughable to me. Just as there are Republicans who will fight to their dying day to defend Trump some of these Democrats who have hated him and wanted him gone from Day One now professing principled and non prejudicial positions in backing impeachment is a joke.
    The final result was determined before it started. We all knew he would probably be impeached but acquitted in the Senate.

If the Ukraine had agreed to investigate (which Zelensky did) that would have much produced very little or no news; instead, all kinds of publicity has been generated about the Bidens. Trump couldn't have benefited more if he had planned it.