Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, Blackwater Lunchbreak, The Anonymous, /MSG/, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, philly rabbit, Niche Political Commentor, canceled.2021.2, J Craft, MAGA MAN, Darth Omar, CFM, DBCooper, chink, Superfreak, PraiseKek, TOP, excommunicated, AnnieOakley, Tommatthews, Q-Tip, volsrock, Grugore, Rob Larrikin, BodyDouble, ptif219, Loving91390, fandango, United76America, Yurt, Into the Night, Tkaffen, gfm7175, Enlightened One, Anarchon, Proud Boy, Earl, Nate Higgers, Terri4Trump, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and deadcatbounce

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The world's greatest art...according to me

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,717 Times in 27,347 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    How many kids became aware of this because of Don McLean?
    I do not actually know to what you are referring.

I personally think Van Gogh should have tempered his obsession with sun flowers. But Monet became obssesive about water lillies, so while I appreciate those two painters, I get a little fed up with sunflowers and water lillies!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Althea (01-13-2020)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,040 Times in 14,532 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,388 Times in 1,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I do not actually know to what you are referring.
    Hmmm. I might be older than I think.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Lots of great art, today I am more into photography but love Edward Hopper. Americana and American roads and byways are my favorite topics. Love back road America, have been photographing it for years. 'Are we stopping again!'

https://www.edwardhopper.net/edward-...-paintings.jsp

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=edward+hopper
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

5. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

Cypress (01-13-2020)

6. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I saw an exhibition of her work in Ottawa. She was on a par with any of the European master painters from what I can tell, and considering she lived in the 18th century it was groundbreaking at that time for a woman to become a prominent and sought-after artist.

Élisabeth Louise Vigée Le Brun
    Vigée Le Brun: A Delayed Tribute to a French Trailblazer
    https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/a...ailblazer.html

7. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hmmm. I might be older than I think.

I was not immersed in pop music in 1971, and I do not think that song had much staying power because I do not recall hearing in on the rock stations I listened to later in the 1970s. That painting is pretty iconic, but I still run across garden variety people who are not aware of that painting. So I believe it takes some cultural awareness and education to recognize a Van Gogh painting

Vilhelm Hammershøi

Lyubov Popova

8. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,040 Times in 14,532 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,388 Times in 1,306 Posts

I was not immersed in pop music in 1971, and I do not think that song had much staying power because I do not recall hearing in on the rock stations I listened to later in the 1970s. That painting is pretty iconic, but I still run across garden variety people who are not aware of that painting. So I believe it takes some cultural awareness and education to recognize a Van Gogh painting
    Anecdotes aside, 'American Pie' broke records. The song spent 1 month at number 1. 'Vincent' had quite a bit of success as well, which would bring attention to Van Gogh in an age group that probably wasn't aware of classic artists. Maybe 'pop' stations didn't give much time to the song, but it was a staple on the rock stations across the country. Back in the 70's many stations didn't limit the DJs with setlists. They had free rein to compose their own shows.

Having grown up in a house that was filled with classic paintings, I found out that McLean was singing about Van Gogh from WNEW fm in NY.

I think I've gone way too far in order to make my original point.

McLean wrote the lyrics in 1971 after reading a book about the life of van Gogh.[1] It was released on McLean's 1971 American Pie album, and the following year the song became the No. 1 hit in the UK Singles Chart for two weeks.[2] and No. 12 in the US.[3] In the US, "Vincent" also hit No. 2 on the Easy Listening chart.[4] Billboard ranked it as the No. 94 song for 1972.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Cypress (01-13-2020)

10. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,197 Times in 33,877 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

There is a Rockwell exhibit at the Houston Museum which I am excited to see. His art touched my feels!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Cypress (01-13-2020)

12. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,197 Times in 33,877 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Anecdotes aside, 'American Pie' broke records. The song spent 1 month at number 1. 'Vincent' had quite a bit of success as well, which would bring attention to Van Gogh in an age group that probably wasn't aware of classic artists. Maybe 'pop' stations didn't give much time to the song, but it was a staple on the rock stations across the country. Back in the 70's many stations didn't limit the DJs with setlists. They had free rein to compose their own shows.

Having grown up in a house that was filled with classic paintings, I found out that McLean was singing about Van Gogh from WNEW fm in NY.

I think I've gone way too far in order to make my original point.

McLean wrote the lyrics in 1971 after reading a book about the life of van Gogh.[1] It was released on McLean's 1971 American Pie album, and the following year the song became the No. 1 hit in the UK Singles Chart for two weeks.[2] and No. 12 in the US.[3] In the US, "Vincent" also hit No. 2 on the Easy Listening chart.[4] Billboard ranked it as the No. 94 song for 1972.
    I wrote a paper on American Pie for my Advanced English course in high school. Thanks for the Flashback

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Althea (01-13-2020)

14. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    There is a Rockwell exhibit at the Houston Museum which I am excited to see. His art touched my feels!
    A Rockwell painting is like an old friend, and it serves a different purposes than a Raphael, Caravaggio, or Goya. Who doesn't like Rockwell!?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Althea (01-13-2020)

16. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,253 Times in 7,663 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Vilhelm Hammershøi

Lyubov Popova
    I won a contest once sponsored by the president of a company for which I was working...by correctly identifying one of Van Gogh's early paintings...one of his "windmill" paintings. (Looks quite different from his later work.) This was more than 40 years ago...before stuff could be Googled.

I still have the letter:

Dear Frank,

It gives me great pleasure to present you with the Van Gogh Book of Art Masterpieces, which you won in our recent contest.

The purpose of the contest was to stimulate an interest in excellence as demonstrated by the great works illustrated in this book. We hope it will give you the added inspiration to to apply to your own work the fun and excitement that come from dedicated performance.

Leo.

Leo later played a part in one of my most famous resignations...a story I may tell at some point.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Cypress (01-13-2020)

18. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    I won a contest once sponsored by the president of a company for which I was working...by correctly identifying one of Van Gogh's early paintings...one of his "windmill" paintings. (Looks quite different from his later work.) This was more than 40 years ago...before stuff could be Googled.

I still have the letter:

Dear Frank,

It gives me great pleasure to present you with the Van Gogh Book of Art Masterpieces, which you won in our recent contest.

The purpose of the contest was to stimulate an interest in excellence as demonstrated by the great works illustrated in this book. We hope it will give you the added inspiration to to apply to your own work the fun and excitement that come from dedicated performance.

Leo.

Leo later played a part in one of my most famous resignations...a story I may tell at some point.
    ^^ You have to acknowledge a poster of such cultivated tastes, they can share personal stories about the art of Vincent Van Gogh.

Sadly, jpp dot com is mostly known for unrelenting racism, ubiquitous misogyny, and as a prominent venue for buck-toothed barely educated rightwing hillbillies

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Althea (01-13-2020), Frank Apisa (01-13-2020)

20. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

As a cure to my ignorance, I took an art history class on American painters, and I was scarcely aware of Thomas Cole -- arguably the most highly regarded American artist of the early 19th century, and who appears to my eye to easily be on a par with the European neoclassical and romantic master painters.

https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/cole/hd_cole.htm

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-27-2020)

22. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,188 Times in 25,723 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

As a cure to my ignorance, I took an art history class on American painters, and I was scarcely aware of Thomas Cole -- arguably the most highly regarded American artist of the early 19th century, and who appears to my eye to easily be on a par with the European neoclassical and romantic master painters.

https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/cole/hd_cole.htm
    Click on the embedded link in your link for the Hudson River School. I just love their work. Another painter I love whose work is similar to the HRS is J. M.Turner. He has a real talent for painting skies, IMO.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

23. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Cypress (05-27-2020)

24. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    Click on the embedded link in your link for the Hudson River School. I just love their work. Another painter I love whose work is similar to the HRS is J. M.Turner. He has a real talent for painting skies, IMO.
    You have good taste. Love Turner.

I was only vaguely aware of the Hudson School, but now realize it is incredible art.

I was under the mistaken impression that American painting in the early 19th century was mediocre and subpar. But my ignorance has been dispelled at this point!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-27-2020)