Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Why Is America So Depressed?

1. #241 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Black life expectancy is rising drastically in the USA as they improve their chooses. Whites are the ones with declining life expectancies. So Woko Haram is correct that blacks have shorter life expectancies, they are increasing. Whites have longer life expectancies, but are decreasing.

But only some whites. Most whites also have rising life expectancies. There is a subsection of whites in America that have crashing life expectancies. It is so bad that even though they are a minority of Americans, they are bringing down the average for everyone. America has had three years of loss of average life expectancy. That is nearly unheard of. That is Syria level problems. Even North Korea could not mess up for three years straight.

The whites losing life expectancy are most closely correlate to trump voters. It is almost like trump is another one of those poor life decisions.
    Lower life expectancies among whites is correlated typically with opioid drug abuse, not any specific voting habits.

2. #242 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Woko Haram View Post
    lol Sieg heil then.
    Hey, if you like the dictator we have, then sure, I can understand you supporting Fascism. But what if you don't like the next dictator? What if, instead of the Republicans eliminating elections, AOC gets elected president? Will you be ok with President AOC rigging elections so that she gets reelected?

See, that's what we're doing by reelecting Trump. We're helping to normalize what he did for future presidents.

3. The Following User Groans At StoneByStone For This Awful Post:

Earl (01-19-2020)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-19-2020)

5. #243 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

In the case of Islam, it does call for violence. It's just that most followers of it don't interpret it as literally as Al Quida and ISIS. I guess we're lucky that they don't.

"Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

7. #244 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,628 Times in 16,561 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good morning The vast majority of America is not depressed, you know...
    Just swing clear of this place for a couple of hours...you'll see

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Post:

Earl (01-19-2020)

9. #245 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Anti globalists remind me of the Luddites.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

10. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (01-19-2020)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

12. #246 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,654 Times in 17,915 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Good morning The vast majority of America is not depressed, you know...
    Just swing clear of this place for a couple of hours...you'll see
    Indeed, the gloom and doom radicals don't want to admit that this Trump booming economy is lifting all boats.

Just wait til President Trump is exonerated in the Senate and reelected.

Bring on the tissues and hot chocolate and safe rooms.

Top of the morning, TOP.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

TOP (01-19-2020)

14. #247 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,628 Times in 16,561 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Indeed, the gloom and doom radicals don't want to admit that this Trump booming economy is lifting all boats.

Just wait til President Trump is exonerated in the Senate and reelected.

Bring on the tissues and hot chocolate and safe rooms.

Top of the morning, TOP.
    Indeed....same to you, but hope it's warmer in GA...lol

15. #248 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,313 Times in 53,224 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lower life expectancies among whites is correlated typically with opioid drug abuse, not any specific voting habits.
    That's true; the opioid epidemic has skewed life U.S. expectancy numbers for the last 4-5 years. That being said, poor health habits -- smoking, vaping, drinking, poor diet, lack of exercise, obesity -- are dragging us down as well.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Saudade (01-19-2020)

17. #249 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Hey, if you like the dictator we have, then sure, I can understand you supporting Fascism. But what if you don't like the next dictator? What if, instead of the Republicans eliminating elections, AOC gets elected president? Will you be ok with President AOC rigging elections so that she gets reelected?

See, that's what we're doing by reelecting Trump. We're helping to normalize what he did for future presidents.
    The odds of AOC getting elected are pretty low, but sure, Warren could possibly win. Maybe Warren would try to be authoritarian about certain things. It would be a bad situation, but I think our checks and balances are pretty strong. Nothing Trump has done makes me think that any president could actually "rig" an election.

Now, plenty of media corporations will certainly try to slant public perceptions in extreme directions, but that's one of the burdens of a free press. Freedom of the press means that, if the biases of media mostly tilt one way, then that can affect elections to an extent. Media bias is something that I have a lot more concern about, because it results in people believing false narratives. Granted, there's only so much that can be done about that.

18. #250 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

The odds of AOC getting elected are pretty low, but sure, Warren could possibly win. Maybe Warren would try to be authoritarian about certain things. It would be a bad situation, but I think our checks and balances are pretty strong. Nothing Trump has done makes me think that any president could actually "rig" an election.
    But a president could cheat in an election. And now, if Trump gets away with this, presidents will be able to cheat more blatantly. Warren could bribe multiple countries to help her and when she gets caught, well hey, Trump did it too. As Mulvaney would say, "get over it."
    And this is moving the Overton Window in a direction where rigging elections the way the Soviets did would be acceptable.

Now, plenty of media corporations will certainly try to slant public perceptions in extreme directions, but that's one of the burdens of a free press. Freedom of the press means that, if the biases of media mostly tilt one way, then that can affect elections to an extent. Media bias is something that I have a lot more concern about, because it results in people believing false narratives. Granted, there's only so much that can be done about that.
    I feel the same way about media bias and I think it should be illegal for a program that presents itself as news to lie. Other than that, there isn't much we can do, since if we have a free press, we can't force stations to be unbiased.

19. #251 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

But a president could cheat in an election. And now, if Trump gets away with this, presidents will be able to cheat more blatantly. Warren could bribe multiple countries to help her and when she gets caught, well hey, Trump did it too. As Mulvaney would say, "get over it."
    And this is moving the Overton Window in a direction where rigging elections the way the Soviets did would be acceptable.
    That's assuming that it becomes proven that Trump engaged in a quid pro quo. It hasn't so far. Just because someone is under suspicion of something, it doesn't mean it was done. So, if it does become proven that he did this and he isn't punished, then yes, your argument is correct. Until then, the worst that could happen is that Warren would be under suspicion of doing something like this.

I feel the same way about media bias and I think it should be illegal for a program that presents itself as news to lie. Other than that, there isn't much we can do, since if we have a free press, we can't force stations to be unbiased.
    I agree. We do already have libel and slander laws that handle some of this, but they are necessarily limited in scope.

20. #252 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    "Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle"
    That's from the Old Testament. Christians usually follow the New Testament more closely.

By contrast, the Quran is more uniform in structure.

21. #253 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,593 Times in 4,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,203 Times in 1,060 Posts

And drug abuse can't possibly be related to policies which are and have been destroying opportunities? And this actually goes way back to Reagan.
    BLUEXIT
    A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red

Dear Red-State Trump Voter,
    Let’s face it, guys: We’re done.

It is a tragedy that so much of the work that so many men and women toiled at for so long to make this a better country, and a better world, has been thrown away, leaving us all in such needless peril.

This is why our separation in all but name is necessary.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1409...mp-red-america

22. #254 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
    And drug abuse can't possibly be related to policies which are and have been destroying opportunities? And this actually goes way back to Reagan.
    Drug abuse can be tied to many things. In the case of opioids, I would argue most of it is tied to overprescribing painkillers and such.

Too much of our system is based on doping people up rather than addressing root causes. We see something similar with the welfare state and gun policies.

23. #255 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,310 Times in 8,474 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

Opioid overdose deaths are twice as high among whites as they are among blacks. Whites are able to skew the arrest numbers towards blacks, but we are not able to change the death numbers. But it is not all whites. Educated whites, urban whites, whites in the upper class, etc. are having almost no problem.

Opioids are hitting rural, uneducated whites, especially men, very hard. And who is most correlated with trump voters? Rural, uneducated whites, especially men.

In fact, that was the best correlation with trump voters around, until someone looked at "worsening health outcomes". Literally, trump voters are the most sick among us.

It is not just opioid abuse. There rates of diabetes is rising off the charts. They are committing suicide at incredible numbers. Everyone else is seeing dropping homicide rates, but not them.

They are dying from even simple things. They are wearing their seatbelts at lower numbers. They are taking up smoking at greater numbers. 40 year old trump voters are starting smoking, which is unheard of in any other population of that age. It is almost like they want to die.

Whatever this is, it has killed far more Americans than AIDS, and all in a much shorter time. This is so bad that it is lowering our overall life expectancy. It is an epic health disaster, that no one noticed. And somehow trump voting is correlated with it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post: