Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Hours

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Happy Hours

This struck me as very funny. How many people here have gone to a work happy hour, over the years, and ended up making out with a co-worker? Or, even worse?

"The term "happy hour" may have been created by the U.S. Navy to describe a designated period of time for entertainment and refreshment. Of course, happy hour has long since become a universal catchphrase. People around the world know it as a time to unwind and imbibe after a long day of work. But for some workers, their concept of "unwinding" can land them in hot water. Cynthia,* the CEO for a gourmet gift business, recalls one employee who was full of surprises. "Several years ago, I hired a new employee around holiday time. I took my staff out for happy hour, hiring two limousines. After a drink or two, I was looking for the new employee so we could present her with keys to the office, a welcome ritual we do for management. I found her in the limousine, with the driver, getting very 'acquainted'on my Burberry Coat!"

Get Happy

Happy hour is intended to be jovial and relaxing, and can be an important tool in creating a bond between groups of co-workers. But, despite good intentions, there are some "unhappy hours" where the good times go bad. A recent CareerBuilder.com survey offers a snapshot of our happy hour habits. Here's what it found out about our post-work festivities:
    • One in five workers attends happy hour festivities with co-workers at least once a month.
    • Eighty-two percent go to bond with co-workers, while 11 percent go specifically for quality time with the boss.
    • Fifteen percent of the attendees were all about the office gossip.
    • Men and women were equally likely to attend.
    • Workers ages 25 to 34 had the highest attendance across all age groups.
    The survey revealed a number of incidents and events where a worker's happy hour experience went from smooth sailing to crash and burn.
    • Sixteen percent of those who responded said that they talked negatively or inappropriately about a co-worker or manager.
    • Ten percent said they shared a secret or confidence about a co-worker.
    • Eight percent kissed one of their co-workers, and another 8 percent admitted that they drank too much and acted unprofessionally.
    • A surprising 5 percent breached a confidence or secret about the company.
    • And 4 percent of workers admitted, with regret, that they sang karaoke.

http://jobs.aol.com/article/_a/happy...631x1200403955

2. #2 | Top
    Cancel3 Guest

When I worked in the Hospitality Industry, I went to a lot of Happy Hours, Meet & Greet functions, and hosted a lot of Happy Hours at the hotel bar.

Its amazing what people end up doing at those things.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries

• Eighty-two percent go to bond with co-workers, while 11 percent go specifically for quality time with the boss. Check • Fifteen percent of the attendees were all about the office gossip.
    The survey revealed a number of incidents and events where a worker's happy hour experience went from smooth sailing to crash and burn. Check
    • Sixteen percent of those who responded said that they talked negatively or inappropriately about a co-worker or manager. Check
    • Ten percent said they shared a secret or confidence about a co-worker. Check
    • Eight percent kissed one of their co-workers, and another 8 percent admitted that they drank too much and acted unprofessionally.
    • A surprising 5 percent breached a confidence or secret about the company. Check

http://jobs.aol.com/article/_a/happy...631x1200403955[/QUOTE]
    "Fuck you niggers" July 11, 2009 Tinfoil explaining how conservatives are unfairly labeled as racists.

"You deserve to be beheaded and for your head to placed on a pike, in the middle of the park, where children can see what happens to those that act the way you do." August 5, 2009 USFreedom911's response to a left leaning opinion.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LadyT View Post
    • Eighty-two percent go to bond with co-workers, while 11 percent go specifically for quality time with the boss. Check • Fifteen percent of the attendees were all about the office gossip.
    The survey revealed a number of incidents and events where a worker's happy hour experience went from smooth sailing to crash and burn. Check
    • Sixteen percent of those who responded said that they talked negatively or inappropriately about a co-worker or manager. Check
    • Ten percent said they shared a secret or confidence about a co-worker. Check
    • A surprising 5 percent breached a confidence or secret about the company. Check

http://jobs.aol.com/article/_a/happy...631x1200403955
    LMAO. So basically, you have done every wrong thing, except for make out with a co-worker?

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd hate to do this and not at least sing a bit of Karaoke.... Nothing like everybody knowing what your drunk singing voice is like.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Solitary View Post
    When I worked in the Hospitality Industry, I went to a lot of Happy Hours, Meet & Greet functions, and hosted a lot of Happy Hours at the hotel bar.

Its amazing what people end up doing at those things.
    Yes, so I’ve heard.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    LMAO. So basically, you have done every wrong thing, except for make out with a co-worker?
    pretty much and sing karaoke - even I wont go that far
    "Fuck you niggers" July 11, 2009 Tinfoil explaining how conservatives are unfairly labeled as racists.

"You deserve to be beheaded and for your head to placed on a pike, in the middle of the park, where children can see what happens to those that act the way you do." August 5, 2009 USFreedom911's response to a left leaning opinion.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I bet that the person who wrote this one, works with Cawacko:

Drinking is Not a Team Sport. Some workplace environments may be incredibly competitive. Avoid the urge to match co-workers drink for drink or shot for shot.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I bet that the person who wrote this one, works with Cawacko:

Drinking is Not a Team Sport. Some workplace environments may be incredibly competitive. Avoid the urge to match co-workers drink for drink or shot for shot.
    Now that's total BS Darla and you know it!

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LadyT View Post
    Now that's total BS Darla and you know it!
    LOL, yeah sure!

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I always drank too much at them too. I don’t go to them anymore frankly. I hate to say it, but I have no self-control, and I got tired of being the talk of the place some time ago. I mean, I have actually, I guess “dirty danced” would be the description, with male coworkers.
    Last edited by Cancel7; 08-13-2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Removed the song name so Dave doesn't make fun of me!

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

I always drank too much at them too. I don’t go to them anymore frankly. I hate to say it, but I have no self-control, and I got tired of being the talk of the place some time ago. I mean, I have actually, I guess “dirty danced” would be the description, with male coworkers.
    A+ post Darla.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    A+ post Darla.
    Thank you water. I put a lot of thought into it. You've been making some good ones too today.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

LOL - man you must be a blast to work with.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

We liberals need to pat ourselves on the back more.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34