Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Why do so many incompetent men become leaders?'

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Regards to the assertion that Trump is "unread, uneducated". Who cares? I look at results. Some of the most competent people that I know never went to college.

We have the best economy ever in my lifetime, and it is built on a solid foundation of energy independence and American manufacturing. What liberals fail to understand is that those two measures also give us tremendous strength in Mideast affairs, and we have to be involved there because of decisions made at the end of WW2.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

The positives today of the economy are the work of Pres Obama and the policies that brought us back from the Bush disaster. The deficits today are the work of Trump and they will once again bring the economy down. While I hope he loses in 2020, whoever wins will have to deal with his reckless deficits and stupid tax policies. Lost of regulatory structure has a way of catching up on the economy. It appears to be a cycle that repeats after every republican? What should sadden Americans is that none of his promises on healthcare or drugs has materialized, but he has hurt a lot of Americans and immigrants and children. Nothing to be proud of or to honor.

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/23/181942...acare-medicaid

'Across America, working-class people — including many of our friends — are dying of despair. And we’re still blaming the wrong people.'

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/o...r-poverty.html
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

While this is slightly off topic, it helps to explain how America could have elected so dishonest and incompetent a president.

'The Audacity of Hate' By Thomas B. Edsall

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/19/o...nger-fear.html

"Karl Rove had a novel idea for how to organize President George W. Bush’s 2004 re-election campaign.

He and the chief campaign strategist, Matthew Dowd, decided on a “base strategy.” They reallocated the bulk of the campaign’s media budget to focus on social conservatives instead of on moderates — a decision predicated on the fact that the swing, or persuadable, share of the electorate had shrunk from one in five voters to less than one in 10. The most effective use of campaign funds, the thinking ran, was to invest in turning out more of the millions of white right-wing voters who needed to be motivated to show up at the polls.

The result was a shift that year from a traditional centrist strategy to an emphasis on anger and fear, a shift that turned out to have profound long-term consequences.

Campaigns in the past had relied on activating resentment and hostility, of course, but the re-election drive for Bush in 2004 was the first to make this the centerpiece of a mainstream presidential effort.

American politics were irrevocably transformed, polarization strategies became institutionalized and the stage was set for the explicit racial and anti-immigrant themes dominating Donald Trump’s campaigns for election and re-election.

Three major events over the next 10 years bridged the gap between the White House campaign of George W. Bush and the White House campaign of Donald J. Trump.

The economic meltdown of 2007-9 devastated faith in the American economic system and in the nation’s elected leaders — especially the Republican establishment."

See rest of article at link on top.

Evil when we are in its power is not felt as evil, but as necessity." Simone Weil
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire