Thread: The Sun God has a 'Day' named after it ...

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default The Sun God has a 'Day' named after it ...

... Jesus, not so much.

(I doubt Red Team even knows this)

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"The name "Sunday", the day of the Sun, is derived from Hellenistic astrology, where the seven planets, known in English as Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, the Sun, Venus, Mercury and the Moon, each had an hour of the day assigned to them, and the planet which was regent during the first hour of any day of the week gave its name to that day. During the 1st and 2nd century, the week of seven days was introduced into Rome from Egypt, and the Roman names of the planets were given to each successive day."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    ... Jesus, not so much.

Actually Jesus has much of December for those that celebrate actual Christmas. It's about half as much as corporate Christmas has though. Corporate Christmas starts after you eat on Thanksgiving and ends when the sales stop at the end of the year. Jesus also has the sabbath and is why many places closed or didn't sell alcohol on Sunday.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Actually Jesus has much of December for those that celebrate actual Christmas. It's about half as much as corporate Christmas has though. Corporate Christmas starts after you eat on Thanksgiving and ends when the sales stop at the end of the year. Jesus also has the sabbath and is why many places closed or didn't sell alcohol on Sunday.
    1. Yes. 'Corporate Christmas'. Shareholders count on 'Retailers' to bring home the bacon.
    2. New Orleans has ALWAYS sold alcohol on Sundays.

Do you like stories, Jar Jar?
    When I first came to New Orleans in 1965, me and a roommate were looking for a car. We were on this Lot looking at cars and this Policeman shows up and asks us what we are doing. We say 'Looking at cars'. He says "You know this place is closed". I say "Why would it be closed, you only have 2 days to shop, Saturday and Sunday". He looks at me for a moment, then asks "Where are you from?" I say "California", my friend says "Wisconsin". Then my friend says "They have Blue Laws down here". Then I say "What are 'Blue Laws'?" All this time I'm looking towards the Office waiting for some Salesman to come and approach us. When I turn back, I see the Policeman walking off.

Another time, I was going to Sears to buy something (it was on a Sunday) and my friend says "They'll be closed". I said "I doubt that". When I got there ... sure enough, it was closed.

As an aside, it was also illegal to make a 'Right-turn' on Red.

At that time, Bars were open 24 hours a day. I don't even remember Bars having doors on them. ... when I first arrived, I slept in a Bar. I bought a Beer around 11pm, found a booth, and fell asleep after hitch-hiking 2,000 miles from San Diego. The Barmaid woke me up at sunrise. I walked outside and ran into 2 other fellow Adventurers, we went to the Hummingbird Restaurant (a New Orleans Landmark) for Breakfast.

"The Hummingbird Grill would probably be a wildly successful restaurant if it were still open. It was a twenty-four-hour diner—one of the few in New Orleans. And it was unarguably a dive. A little harder to grasp was that it was a hotel restaurant. The Hummingbird Hotel never won any stars for its accommodations."
    https://nomenu.com/posts/hummingbird-grill

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

1. Yes. 'Corporate Christmas'. Shareholders count on 'Retailers' to bring home the bacon.
    2. New Orleans has ALWAYS sold alcohol on Sundays.

Do you like stories, Jar Jar?
    When I first came to New Orleans in 1965, me and a roommate were looking for a car. We were on this Lot looking at cars and this Policeman shows up and asks us what we are doing. We say 'Looking at cars'. He says "You know this place is closed". I say "Why would it be closed, you only have 2 days to shop, Saturday and Sunday". He looks at me for a moment, then asks "Where are you from?" I say "California", my friend says "Wisconsin". Then my friend says "They have Blue Laws down here". Then I say "What are 'Blue Laws'?" All this time I'm looking towards the Office waiting for some Salesman to come and approach us. When I turn back, I see the Policeman walking off.

Another time, I was going to Sears to buy something (it was on a Sunday) and my friend says "They'll be closed". I said "I doubt that". When I got there ... sure enough, it was closed.

As an aside, it was also illegal to make a 'Right-turn' on Red.

At that time, Bars were open 24 hours a day. I don't even remember Bars having doors on them. ... when I first arrived, I slept in a Bar. I bought a Beer around 11pm, found a booth, and fell asleep after hitch-hiking 2,000 miles from San Diego. The Barmaid woke me up at sunrise. I walked outside and ran into 2 other fellow Adventurers, we went to the Hummingbird Restaurant (a New Orleans Landmark) for Breakfast.

"The Hummingbird Grill would probably be a wildly successful restaurant if it were still open. It was a twenty-four-hour diner—one of the few in New Orleans. And it was unarguably a dive. A little harder to grasp was that it was a hotel restaurant. The Hummingbird Hotel never won any stars for its accommodations."
    https://nomenu.com/posts/hummingbird-grill
    Your little tale made me think of this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Charoite For This Post:

Jack (12-14-2019)

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I was walking down Canal Street (the Main Street) without a shirt (like people in Southern California do) and was approached by 2 Policemen. They told me I needed to put a shirt on.
    ... it was a totally different Culture.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,966 Times in 32,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

what about Jackass Day.......anyone know who that is named after?.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    what about Jackass Day.......anyone know who that is named after?.....
    hahaha ...
    You know the Sun God can beat the crap out of Jesus, so all you got is a personal attack. (Sad)

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,625 Times in 9,293 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

... Jesus, not so much.

Cue The Beatles-Here Cums the Sun
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?