Thread: All Of The Media Is Corrupt Except The Ones I Choose To Believe

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,

OK, so what they are doing is soliciting funding to cover the expense of presenting the news. Seems reasonable enough. Production has to get paid for one way or another. This way, you're not getting news that's partial to any advertisers. What you see is a lot of trusts and philanthropists supporting public news.

If you tune in to Fox you're getting the NRA news. Gee. I wonder if you are going to see sensationalist stories about the use of guns? You're getting the Big Pharma news. I wonder if you are going to see lots of stories about illness?
    You're acting like Fox News is unique. You think it's any different than CNN or MSNBC other than the politics of the latter is closer to what you support?

The NBC, CBS & ABC Nightly News shows are all about ratings. It's the nature of the beast.

A lot of what's out there today is about confirmation bias. We listen to those who give us what we want to hear.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

OK, so what they are doing is soliciting funding to cover the expense of presenting the news. Seems reasonable enough. Production has to get paid for one way or another. This way, you're not getting news that's partial to any advertisers. What you see is a lot of trusts and philanthropists supporting public news.

If you tune in to Fox you're getting the NRA news. Gee. I wonder if you are going to see sensationalist stories about the use of guns? You're getting the Big Pharma news. I wonder if you are going to see lots of stories about illness?
    I don't think Fox is the only one pandering to big pharma. A majority of the commercials on the NBC Nightly News program are for OTC and script meds. You'd think everyone watching it was very elderly and in need of lots of drugs. lol

And that brings up another interesting thing. It's often claimed that most of TRE45ON's base consists of elderly whites. It's also claimed that NBC, ABC, etc. are "liberal media." So why would NBC, that alleged liberal media outlet, be advertising to elderly whites if they're all conservative?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

PoliTalker (12-13-2019)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    You're acting like Fox News is unique. You think it's any different than CNN or MSNBC other than the politics of the latter is closer to what you support?

The NBC, CBS & ABC Nightly News shows are all about ratings. It's the nature of the beast.

A lot of what's out there today is about confirmation bias. We listen to those who give us what we want to hear.
    So Fox is just as bad as the fake news sources. I agree.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Owl,

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I don't think Fox is the only one pandering to big pharma. A majority of the commercials on the NBC Nightly News program are for OTC and script meds. You'd think everyone watching it was very elderly and in need of lots of drugs. lol

And that brings up another interesting thing. It's often claimed that most of TRE45ON's base consists of elderly whites. It's also claimed that NBC, ABC, etc. are "liberal media." So why would NBC, that alleged liberal media outlet, be advertising to elderly whites if they're all conservative?
    Very good point.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-13-2019)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello cawacko,

LOL, what?

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,779 Times in 3,066 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    he was talking about people like you.
    "people like me"??

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

Truth Detector (12-13-2019)

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I like the non-profit news sources.

PBS Newshour, BBC, DW
    Oh, so you like the government funded ones??

They're not trying to sell you anything. It's done as a public service.
    Yes they are. They are trying to sell you liberal propaganda, using the money that they stole from your pockets.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

12. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello cawacko,

They also steal money from taxpayer pockets to present that crap.

FOX is not controlled by the NRA nor "Big Pharma".

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

14. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yeah, Poli does the very thing that he bashes in his thread title and OP... Typical of liberals.

Personally, I don't listen to ANY of the mainstream media, and that includes FOX News.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

16. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

I think it's called: 'Trying too hard.'

The news is the news. They are there to make a buck (at least the commercial for-profit news) and sensation sells, so guess what? They present sensationalized news. Isn't it amazing how much mileage they get out of an event? You know really, there isn't that much sensational news 24-7. The trick is to over-dramatize it, pump it up, buff it off, rearrange it, augment it, present it just so. Like a boquet of flowers. Actually, it's a very slick and bizarre art form. Ever evolving. Addictive for some, revolting to others, regardless of being conservative or liberal.

There is no 'deep state' controlling the news. If it seems like most of the news is to the left, that means you are to the right.

If you have to swallow some pretty tall tales to make your politics work, you might want to take a fresh look at your politics.

You might be trying too hard.

It's pretty hard to believe that only one network has the real news, and all the rest are part of some conspiracy to misinform people.

It's a lot easier to believe that one network found a niche group and figured out how to tell them what they want to hear. Especially if victimhood and boogiemen are involved.
    Major problem is cable news and the reality that most people would rather have someone tell them the news rather than actually reading the news themselves.

With the profit motive involved, infotainment is the way most get their news, it is easily tainted and framed, a melodrama, good guys/bad guys, aimed to attain the targeted audience, MSNBC and FOX are prime examples

Personally, got to read, and be aware of the bias everything contains, but there are legitimate sources out there, the Hill and WSJ lean slightly right, Politico and the WP/NYT lean to the left, but none of those sources are in the array of Brietfart, RAW, Blaze, Daily Kos, Huffington, etc., or anyone you would hear on any cable channel or radio

17. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

PoliTalker (12-13-2019)

18. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

I responded to your post where you said:

Perhaps I read too much into your statement when I responded:

LOL, what?
    Perhaps you do think Fox is especially unbiased, while the others are strongly biased?

I think all the commercial ones are reporting the same news but they paint a pretty different picture because of what material they select to present, and the opinion spin they put on it. None contain many outright mistakes in their actual reporting, but that reporting comprises such a small part of their programming there isn't much for them to get wrong.

That's why I use so many different sources myself, and I primarily avoid the for-profit news. Any story that smells like spin I like to double-check with numerous sources.

The thing is, most Trump fans listen only to Fox and don't read newspapers, or research stories online. They are getting a LOT of spin, but it confirms their bias, so they consider it fact.

So, for instance, when Fox says there was no pressure, and they can show clips of Zelenski saying 'no pressure,' they run with that. And then they show Republicans referring to those same clips. What they don't show in the same context is all the evidence brought by all the non-partisan professional diplomats and Civil Service workers that explained why Zelenski may have felt obligated to say the words (without meaning) because politically, he cannot risk angering Trump. Now, there's mountains of evidence that lots of pressure was applied, but Fox skips right over that and focuses on two words, and they're done. People who want to believe there was no pressure have all they need. They are not going to doubt it, not going to wonder why Zelenski would do that. He's a politician. Politicians sometimes have to say things they don't really mean. Ukraine knew there was pressure. They're not dumb.

Jordan was a perfect example of this. He got to those two words and he was good. Had all he needed. He had a story and a clip and he stuck to it. What he had was a simplification of the overall story. Obviously you can't give the details of something in two words. In this case the simple version and the in-depth version are exactly opposite.

The look on Zelenski's face when he said 'no pressure' gave him away. Any unbiased person who really wants the truth can understand why he said that. He had to say that, even though he knew better. And it was a nebulous term. He was never going to be held to task for saying 'no pressure.' He's looking out for his country. He cannot afford to anger Trump. He's playing the game well. Trump could make life very difficult for him. He already showed that.

Trump fans get something they can cling to. The only thing that's missing from their clutches is the truth.

I distinctly got the impression the Republican House members were grandstanding for the camera. They kept spouting these sound bytes the whole time, trying to distinguish themselves as defenders of Trump.

19. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello archives,

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Major problem is cable news and the reality that most people would rather have someone tell them the news rather than actually reading the news themselves.

With the profit motive involved, infotainment is the way most get their news, it is easily tainted and framed, a melodrama, good guys/bad guys, aimed to attain the targeted audience, MSNBC and FOX are prime examples

Personally, got to read, and be aware of the bias everything contains, but there are legitimate sources out there, the Hill and WSJ lean slightly right, Politico and the WP/NYT lean to the left, but none of those sources are in the array of Brietfart, RAW, Blaze, Daily Kos, Huffington, etc., or anyone you would hear on any cable channel or radio
    No wonder you are so well informed. Bravo.

20. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello cawacko,

I responded to your post where you said:

Perhaps I read too much into your statement when I responded:

Perhaps you do think Fox is especially unbiased, while the others are strongly biased?

I think all the commercial ones are reporting the same news but they paint a pretty different picture because of what material they select to present, and the opinion spin they put on it. None contain many outright mistakes in their actual reporting, but that reporting comprises such a small part of their programming there isn't much for them to get wrong.

That's why I use so many different sources myself, and I primarily avoid the for-profit news. Any story that smells like spin I like to double-check with numerous sources.

The thing is, most Trump fans listen only to Fox and don't read newspapers, or research stories online. They are getting a LOT of spin, but it confirms their bias, so they consider it fact.

So, for instance, when Fox says there was no pressure, and they can show clips of Zelenski saying 'no pressure,' they run with that. And then they show Republicans referring to those same clips. What they don't show in the same context is all the evidence brought by all the non-partisan professional diplomats and Civil Service workers that explained why Zelenski may have felt obligated to say the words (without meaning) because politically, he cannot risk angering Trump. Now, there's mountains of evidence that lots of pressure was applied, but Fox skips right over that and focuses on two words, and they're done. People who want to believe there was no pressure have all they need. They are not going to doubt it, not going to wonder why Zelenski would do that. He's a politician. Politicians sometimes have to say things they don't really mean. Ukraine knew there was pressure. They're not dumb.

Jordan was a perfect example of this. He got to those two words and he was good. Had all he needed. He had a story and a clip and he stuck to it. What he had was a simplification of the overall story. Obviously you can't give the details of something in two words. In this case the simple version and the in-depth version are exactly opposite.

The look on Zelenski's face when he said 'no pressure' gave him away. Any unbiased person who really wants the truth can understand why he said that. He had to say that, even though he knew better. And it was a nebulous term. He was never going to be held to task for saying 'no pressure.' He's looking out for his country. He cannot afford to anger Trump. He's playing the game well. Trump could make life very difficult for him. He already showed that.

Trump fans get something they can cling to. The only thing that's missing from their clutches is the truth.

I distinctly got the impression the Republican House members were grandstanding for the camera. They kept spouting these sound bytes the whole time, trying to distinguish themselves as defenders of Trump.
    I think you and I are having two different conversations. I have no idea who Zelenski is or what their relevance is to what I wrote about media sources.

21. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post

This Harvard study will give you a glimpse into which news out lets are more balances and which are not.

https://shorensteincenter.org/news-c...irst-100-days/

The NYT and the WaPo didn't score very well.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to FastLane For This Post:

23. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,544 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

They're trying to sell you themselves. They have to raise money like everyone. They just replace commercials with fund drives.
    so BBC and DW has fund drives?
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם