Thread: Trump has asked

1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,112 Times in 11,685 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Sorry you and the President have shit as big as a grown aardvark. The rest of us have no issue with the tissue.
    Because you malnourished. That affects your ability to think, you know.

2. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,112 Times in 11,685 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    No mercury in LEDs, but other icky stuff. Bottom line: TANSTAAFL. There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...bulb-concerns/
    https://www.organicconsumers.org/new...t-fluorescents
    Nothin in LED's. Are you afraid of a few molecules of arsenic locked in stone? Gawd. Maybe you should go hide under your blanket and pretend all those elements of the periodic table don't really exist! I bet you're afraid of your house wiring and plumbing too.

3. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,184 Times in 25,719 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

I love your remodeling stories. We love everything about this kitchen except for wanting to replace the current countertops with stone. Read your post to Christie; so marble has issues with staining?

Our cabinets are actual wood, maple I think. They're a light wood and solid. We won't be changing those out! Whoever built this house originally went with quality all the way... except for the countertops. Question for you: The main living area bathroom is right off the kitchen. If you replace the kitchen counters with stone, would you also use the same stone in that bathroom? Or a different color/type?
    I would use the same stone for the cohesiveness in rooms so close to each other.

Now I'll bow out and let the expert answer.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-10-2019)

5. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello christiefan915,

Obviously he is taking his own behavior and projecting it upon others.

When he says 'people are doing' that, he means HE is.
    I can't argue with that. Same thing with "they say" or "everyone says", like this comment about getting a Nobel: Asked during a Cabinet meeting at the time whether he thought he deserved the honor, Trump told reporters: “Everyone thinks so, but I would never say it."

― Charles Dickens

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

PoliTalker (12-10-2019), ThatOwlWoman (12-10-2019)

7. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I didn't know you can't put hot items on quartz. I thought it was advertised as being the most resistant to damage. Now I'm bummed out.

― Charles Dickens

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Althea (12-11-2019), evince (12-11-2019)

9. #156 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Interesting that they don't even mention marble. I wouldn't recommend it in the kitchen...ever. We treat the bathroom counter with kid gloves.
    I hear ya. My bathroom counter needs some sanding and polishing due to various "accidents."

I bought an vintage/antique white marble topped table. The style resembles the picture below. The marble isn't chipped but it's not very pretty either. Mr. Google told me I can bring it back to life by sanding with three increasingly smaller grit sizes, ending with 600, and then polishing. I haven't gotten that far yet but the top is looking a lot better. Also, I painted the base white and then "distressed" it. I know you're not supposed to paint antiques but am not planning on selling it, so what the heck.

― Charles Dickens

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

evince (12-11-2019), ThatOwlWoman (12-10-2019)

11. #157 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello christiefan915,

Sounds like an unaddressed dental issue.

Thanks for the clarification about Christie. Makes more sense that way. Most politics fans would not primarily think of that Christie.
    You're welcome. I've used the name since I first started on internet forums and didn't even know about Chris Christie. In my mind there's only one Christie but many others thought differently!

― Charles Dickens

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

PoliTalker (12-10-2019), ThatOwlWoman (12-10-2019)

13. #158 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,135 Times in 33,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    I hear ya. My bathroom counter needs some sanding and polishing due to various "accidents."

I bought an vintage/antique white marble topped table. The style resembles the picture below. The marble isn't chipped but it's not very pretty either. Mr. Google told me I can bring it back to life by sanding with three increasingly smaller grit sizes, ending with 600, and then polishing. I haven't gotten that far yet but the top is looking a lot better. Also, I painted the base white and then "distressed" it. I know you're not supposed to paint antiques but am not planning on selling it, so what the heck.

Nice table

14. #159 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Nice table
    Yes, it resembles mine but is just a random one on Google images.

― Charles Dickens

15. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Phantasmal (12-10-2019)

16. #160 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,384 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Re. refinishing. I had a good client who wanted me to make a replica of an antique vanity. They have quite a few nice pieces in their bedroom. This condo has a master bath, with another formica counter/sink outside the bathroom door. Everyone in this community hates it. It looks like a hotel room. They wanted an antique vanity. Rather than pay me to build one, I suggested that they go shopping for an old 3' dresser, and I'll convert it. They found this dresser/mirror for $100. I already cut the hole to rough in plumbing before I thought to take the picture.

Attachment 13250

I made a new top that goes wall to wall, and refinished the entire piece. They ended up paying $2000 for the job, including all the plumbing work I had to do. Refinishing isn't cheap.

Attachment 13252

They got a nice dresser/mirror for the price. All solid wood. Mirror makes the piece. Come to think of it, maybe I got the idea for the shelf on the backsplash in our bathroom from doing this one? I didn't want to hang the mirror on the wall and lose the beautiful base.

Attachment 13253

I don't recommend it for kitchens. I don't even recommend it for baths, but we're being very careful. It is beautiful.

I don't think you have to match the bath to the kitchen. If you can get a better price because you're using the whole slab, it won't hurt to ask about doing the bath top in the same stone.
    What would you recommend for the kitchen counters?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

17. #161 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,026 Times in 14,522 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

I would use the same stone for the cohesiveness in rooms so close to each other.

Now I'll bow out and let the expert answer.
    There is no right or wrong answer. I'm always amazed by some of my clients who ask me if the color they pick it the 'right one'. I tell them that if it appeals to them, then it's the right color. I NEVER dissuade/persuade any client when it comes to style/color. If they don't like it later, it's my fault. I've done some work with some pretty ugly colors! Sometimes, I'm surprised. A lemon yellow bedroom set actually blended beautifully in the room once it was installed.

I do a lot of work with the gay community. I love it. They know exactly what they want, and all I have to do is achieve it. Many have second homes up here in the mts.. Many travel to California a lot. Industry secret: All new trends start in California, and eventually make their way east. I never question my gay clients. Within a year or two, it's a trend everywhere.

A vibrating sander with 1000 grit or higher will create a polished finish. That's what all stone/solid surface finishing is done with. Some 'antiques' are meant to be painted. The wood isn't special, which was the plan from the beginning. Painting a base hunter green, with a natural stone/wood top is a tried and true combination that always works. Likewise for burgundy paint. Sometimes, painting creates a contrast that stain won't.

What would you recommend for the kitchen counters?
    We're adults. We're capable of using trivets when necessary, and avoiding working on a counter with something that will stain. So the question comes down to:

How much is in your budget? If you get a great price on a piece of granite that you like a little less than quartz, but will save you $1000, you might opt for granite. If you have a large kitchen, the square footage adds up quickly. If you have an 8'x8' L shaped kitchen, that's 32 square feet plus backsplash. If you save $30/sq. ft. on a stone, that's almost $1000 in the end.

The other side of the coin comes down to the opposite. No matter the budget, if you are going to spend $5000 on the job, then it makes no sense not to spend $5500-$6500 and get something that you will absolutely love, given that you are going to live with it for the rest of your life.

In the kitchen, I would opt for granite or quartz. There are a plethora of colors available. Soapstone/marble might be dramatic, but not as functional as you want. No matter how careful you are, shit happens.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Althea For This Post:

christiefan915 (12-11-2019), ThatOwlWoman (12-11-2019)

19. #162 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,242 Times in 7,657 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

The EPA to look into the disaster of people having to flush their toilet 10-15 times. The rest of his screed I will need help deciphering the meaning.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...-times-2019-12

He also dislikes the new lightbulbs, they make him look orange. He had them change the lights in several rooms in the White House.

I can’t wait for SNL
    I don't blame him for disliking the new lightbulbs. They not only make him look orange...they make him look slovenly. Don't know for sure how they do that...but lightbulbs sometimes work that way.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Althea (12-11-2019), christiefan915 (12-11-2019), ThatOwlWoman (12-11-2019)

21. #163 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,026 Times in 14,522 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Well, that could be the case, he was joking, if I didn’t recall him doing it on several occasions before.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...lbs/index.html
    Isn't it sad that the best defense of the damned POTUS is 'don't take anything he says seriously. He's such a joker'?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Althea For This Post:

christiefan915 (12-11-2019), ThatOwlWoman (12-11-2019)