Thread: Trump has asked

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,427 Times in 53,292 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Truthfully, what a lot of these 'designers' do is to 'borrow' something they've seen elsewhere. In the beginning, it's nothing more than 2nd grade math. You know that you need certain amounts of space for typical applications, and you work on layout from there.

GF was worried about making the room too cramped, as it used to have a ridiculous layout. It's a huge room....15'x7'. Bathrooms are supposed to be 'cozy', as opposed to a kitchen that should be spacious and have large work areas.

I think the knee wall would have been perfect, but I'm not in charge of executive decisions. I have a few antique tables that I can refinish and put near the toilet. Design kept changing as the room came together. Originally, I was going to frame a closet next to the vanity. I suggested we use matching pantry cabinets instead. Much cleaner, and less obtrusive. (Hey...what's another $2k?) It created a unique situation where I pulled the 21" deep vanity cabinets forward to 24" which made for a deeper countertop. I put a 4" shelf atop the splash. It was a fight at first "Why do I need a f'ing shelf on the backsplash?"

Now she loves it. The door on the right wall is a medicine cabinet. I framed the shower wall out an extra 6" in order to have a 10" deep hollow to build a matching cubby with a door. Best medicine cabinet ever. It holds all of our crap.

Cabinets are Kraftmaid with a plywood upgrade. About $5k after discounts at HD. I took the old mirror and cut it down. Made a matching frame. I went a bit hog wild with the lighting. You can see the sconces. There are recessed lights above the vanity. A ceiling fixture in the middle of the room, with a fan/light in the shower. We can make movies in there.

Attachment 13183

Attachment 13184
    Would you come do ours now? lol

Your work is beautiful.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Althea (12-08-2019)

3. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,037 Times in 14,531 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Gorgeous!

LOL @ shiplap.

How hard is it to do a DIY remodel like this?
    The hardest part is paying! Obviously, she doesn't pay for labor. (This job, app. $10k) All electric is new from the panel. All plumbing was moved. I don't do tile, so I had my buddy do it. If Countryboy lived near me, I'd have him do it if he left his MAGA hat in the truck.

Old (1960) pink floor tile was set in 2" of mortar. That was a bitch to get up. I found some scary electrical work (ironically, the guy who built the house was an electrician) during the job, so I was changing a lot of wiring.

On and off it took a couple of months. 5 week wait for the cabinetry. My one tile guy told me he couldn't get there for a month. We waited, and he still wasn't ready. I called my other tile guy...who I should have called first.

She's probably got about $12k-$14k in material and tile labor. This is a $25,000 bathroom if she paid for labor. We love it. I'm going to look for the 'before' pictures.
    This discussion started because we hate the toilet! I think we're changing it soon.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Althea For This Post:

christiefan915 (12-10-2019), ThatOwlWoman (12-08-2019)

5. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Would you come do ours now? lol

Your work is beautiful.
    I get that a lot! I would do yours just to see the birds.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

6. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We watch those home remodeling shows a lot. How DO they come up with those ideas just looking at plain walls? Of course those programs are all scripted so no doubt they've already looked at the proposed remodel, drew out the ideas, and are just following a script that makes the rest of us think they're building geniuses.
    You are correct. I read a piece about 3 weeks ago about 'fake' reality shows. Some of those shows made the list. I love (not) when I get home from working all day, and GF has those shows on. I'm always laughing about how they start the renovations...with sledge hammers. That's ridiculous. It's quicker/cleaner to cut sections of sheetrock out and walk it out to the truck.

Also amusing, is when 'The Property Brothers' always seem to incur extra costs in the kitchen. "We found pipes in the walls that we didn't think would be there"

How the hell can you not expect to find drain/vent pipes behind the sink base? Also...all of those clients have contracts on the eventual house that they buy before they start filming. Notwithstanding the tension created by 'shopping' for houses.

A lot of those shows put crap cabinets in the kitchens, but you can't tell by watching. I also hear that many of those houses have myriad code issues in the end.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-08-2019)

8. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Old layout...renovation was just underway. You can see the old tub, which is where the vanity is. Toilet sits where the new shower is. When you entered the room, there were cafe doors in that opening you are looking through now. Crazy layout.Vanity to the left of the picture, and a closet on the right. Another vanity on the right side just forward of the toilet. I got rid of the baseboard heat, and put an efficient electric heater in the wall. This is great, and there's no clumsy baseboard anymore.
    thumbnail (11).jpg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

10. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    I hate birds...and cats
    i hate dogs. love cats and birds. but my cat loves birds more

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

12. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello christiefan915,

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    2.5 boxes of Tic Tacs? My imagination's running wild trying to figure that out.
    Sounds like an unaddressed dental issue.

Thanks for the clarification about Christie. Makes more sense that way. Most politics fans would not primarily think of that Christie.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (12-08-2019)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

15. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Gonzomin,

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    Rightys simply deny how stupid Trump is because they think admitting they voted for him, makes them seem stupid. It does. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...florence-video
    Trump is stupid. Smart people do not say things like that. Trump does this regularly.
    Logical.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

16. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (12-08-2019)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

18. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello christiefan915,

Yes, along with his germophobia and other tics.
    Shades of Howard Hughes...

19. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (12-08-2019)

20. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Althea,

LMAO.

I just finished renovating GF's bathroom. We now have a 4'x 41/2' shower. What a joy.
    A forty one foot shower? Wow. Is there a Slip n Slide?

21. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (12-08-2019)

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Althea (12-08-2019), ThatOwlWoman (12-08-2019)

23. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello christiefan915,

One of my calicos likes water, too. She'll come up to me to be petted and her fur is wet, so I know that somewhere she played in water.
    Our cat loves water. Wants you to turn the sink on to a dribble so he can dunk his head under it and drink what dribbles off his face. Then shakes like a dog. So the routine is do so and then turn the kitchen timer on to 444. That's about the time he needs. Then go shut off the water and we got a wet cat.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

christiefan915 (12-09-2019), ThatOwlWoman (12-08-2019)

25. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Phantasmal,

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    The EPA to look into the disaster of people having to flush their toilet 10-15 times. The rest of his screed I will need help deciphering the meaning.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...-times-2019-12

He also dislikes the new lightbulbs, they make him look orange. He had them change the lights in several rooms in the White House.

I can’t wait for SNL
    ""We have a situation where we're looking very strongly at sinks and showers and other elements of bathrooms, where you turn the faucet on in areas where there's tremendous amounts of water, where it all flows out to sea because you could never handle it all, and you don't get any water," he said. "They take a shower and water comes dripping out, very quietly dripping out. People are flushing toilets 10 times, 15 times, as opposed to once; they end up using more water. So EPA is looking very strongly at that, at my suggestion."

What the hell does that even mean?

It DOES sound like a drunk talking.

OK, I think I got the issue from context. Our idiot President doesn't want to have to conserve water. Well, if we had not overpopulated our world we wouldn't have to. But we did, and conservation has bought us some time. But it hasn't solved the issue.

And what's HE concerned about?

All the wrong things, of course.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

christiefan915 (12-09-2019), Phantasmal (12-09-2019), ThatOwlWoman (12-08-2019)

27. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You are correct. I read a piece about 3 weeks ago about 'fake' reality shows. Some of those shows made the list. I love (not) when I get home from working all day, and GF has those shows on. I'm always laughing about how they start the renovations...with sledge hammers. That's ridiculous. It's quicker/cleaner to cut sections of sheetrock out and walk it out to the truck.

Also amusing, is when 'The Property Brothers' always seem to incur extra costs in the kitchen. "We found pipes in the walls that we didn't think would be there"

How the hell can you not expect to find drain/vent pipes behind the sink base? Also...all of those clients have contracts on the eventual house that they buy before they start filming. Notwithstanding the tension created by 'shopping' for houses.

A lot of those shows put crap cabinets in the kitchens, but you can't tell by watching. I also hear that many of those houses have myriad code issues in the end.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all about the code violations and the crappiness of the materials they use. They seem to go for the "glam" and less for the quality. I know one thing's for sure -- I would *never* buy a completely renovated house after watching those shows. Rats, roaches, mold, termites, and other infestations -- how do you know those things were safely addressed, or the evidence just covered up? We always laugh at the sledge hammer shit too. WTF, why would you totally destroy cabinets that could be taken down, refinished, and sold?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

28. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Old layout...renovation was just underway. You can see the old tub, which is where the vanity is. Toilet sits where the new shower is. When you entered the room, there were cafe doors in that opening you are looking through now. Crazy layout.Vanity to the left of the picture, and a closet on the right. Another vanity on the right side just forward of the toilet. I got rid of the baseboard heat, and put an efficient electric heater in the wall. This is great, and there's no clumsy baseboard anymore.
    thumbnail (11).jpg
    You did an amazing remodeling job. Love it!

Our next project, which fills me with dread, is replacing the original Formica or whatever they're made out of kitchen counters with quartz or marble. We're not doing it ourselves obviously. How long would you estimate a job like that to take? It's a pretty large kitchen, lots and lots of counter space.

29. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I wouldn't be surprised at all about the code violations and the crappiness of the materials they use. They seem to go for the "glam" and less for the quality. I know one thing's for sure -- I would *never* buy a completely renovated house after watching those shows. Rats, roaches, mold, termites, and other infestations -- how do you know those things were safely addressed, or the evidence just covered up? We always laugh at the sledge hammer shit too. WTF, why would you totally destroy cabinets that could be taken down, refinished, and sold?
    Yes. And even if the cabinets aren't worth saving, why would you make 1,000,000 pieces of sheetrock to be swept up and bagged, when you can cut out large sections?