Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 131

Thread: Nearly half of American workers have low-wage jobs

  1. #91 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    28,931
    Thanks
    10,048
    Thanked 17,658 Times in 12,190 Posts
    Groans
    23
    Groaned 430 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Too many people with degrees? That is just ridiculous. A society flourishes with an educated populace.

    An educated citizenry is a vital requisite for our survival as a free people." Thomas Jefferson
    Democrats and the left who just love to bullshit they have more degrees and education than conservatives certainly do not prove that to be true.
    Consider the Oyster.

    C-4 is just angry playdoh.

  2. #92 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    11,158
    Thanks
    16,593
    Thanked 4,089 Times in 2,952 Posts
    Groans
    10
    Groaned 1,730 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Democrats and the left who just love to bullshit they have more degrees and education than conservatives certainly do not prove that to be true.
    I hear that the price of crack is going up, so I hope that you get a pay raise to cover the extra cost.

  3. #93 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    28,931
    Thanks
    10,048
    Thanked 17,658 Times in 12,190 Posts
    Groans
    23
    Groaned 430 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    ^Go wipe your chin.
    Consider the Oyster.

    C-4 is just angry playdoh.

  4. #94 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    9,925
    Thanks
    386
    Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,911 Posts
    Groans
    157
    Groaned 82 Times in 80 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Ah. Finally we get your opinion and honest response to what I said. Thank you. Now we can begin an honest discussion. Now I can respond.

    Then what happened to American superiority? We are not better than them? Ya wanna know why some well-paying jobs go to people from India? Several reasons. One of those reasons is that those are the jobs Americans don't want because they have seen how good jobs are. They can clearly see that a lot of these unfilled well-paying jobs can be dangerous or make it impossible to have a daily family life. Since employers are able to get desperate applicants from places of zero opportunity those jobs do not pay what they actually should to compensate for their undesirability.
    We are talking about two very different job markets. You said I didn't correctly describe your views but you said the reason those highly paid jobs were unfilled was because they were not good jobs and incorrectly described many of those as having bad conditions. The people we hire from India is not because
    Americans don't want those jobs but because the U. S. does not produce enough qualified people in math, science, computing, and engineering. Hindus have the highest per capita income in the U. S.

    [Politalker] "Ya wanna know why some well-paying jobs go to people from India? Several reasons. One of those reasons is that those are the jobs Americans don't want because they have seen how good jobs are. They can clearly see that a lot of these unfilled well-paying jobs can be dangerous or make it impossible to have a daily family life."

    Those 44% making low income don't take those higher paying jobs because they are dangerous or bad jobs but because they cannot qualify for them. Web development and software engineer are not bad jobs. A person can't complain they are only making $18,000 if they aren't qualified for a better job and don't want to work too many hours.

    I think blaming capitalism for any of those problems is a straw man in itself. You mention smoking and drinking but those are usually more common in socialist countries (not because they are socialist). Those who work in government jobs in the U. S. (city offices, education) seem to have the same conditions, problems, and complaints as those workers in capitalistic private sector jobs.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

    Earl (12-07-2019), Sailor (12-07-2019)

  6. #95 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    18,872
    Thanks
    11,523
    Thanked 9,791 Times in 6,597 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 4,636 Times in 3,991 Posts

    Default

    Hello Flash,

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    We are talking about two very different job markets. You said I didn't correctly describe your views but you said the reason those highly paid jobs were unfilled was because they were not good jobs and incorrectly described many of those as having bad conditions. The people we hire from India is not because
    Americans don't want those jobs but because the U. S. does not produce enough qualified people in math, science, computing, and engineering. Hindus have the highest per capita income in the U. S.
    Also true. Which is why I said SOME well paying jobs go to people from India. I would presume the religion exemplifies good parenting. I have no doubt that if Americans applied themselves with the same diligence that we could parent and educate our children to be more successful. We need to make some changes. I don't agree that religion is the answer, but I can certainly see that it works for some people so I wouldn't want to rule it out. I think our federal government should take a greater role in educating our people.

    Schools should be required to teach things that help young people understand that no matter where they come from they really do have a chance to build themselves a good life. That can be difficult when they are the children of losers. Poverty in America is very cross-generational. Most poverty comes from poverty. Most wealth comes from wealth. There is some encouraging upward mobility, but it is not enough to keep up with the birth rate among the poor. There is an insufficient birth rate among the rich to displace the birth rate among the poor. Poverty grows. This happens across the world under all kinds of governments. Nobody seems to have the answer. We are not great enough to have solved that one, either.

    [Politalker] "Ya wanna know why some well-paying jobs go to people from India? Several reasons. One of those reasons is that those are the jobs Americans don't want because they have seen how good jobs are. They can clearly see that a lot of these unfilled well-paying jobs can be dangerous or make it impossible to have a daily family life."

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Those 44% making low income don't take those higher paying jobs because they are dangerous or bad jobs but because they cannot qualify for them. Web development and software engineer are not bad jobs. A person can't complain they are only making $18,000 if they aren't qualified for a better job and don't want to work too many hours.
    Also true, but doesn't tell the whole story. Everybody isn't a nerd. The thought of staring at a computer screen 14 hours a day is not appealing to most people. Vitamin D deficiency is not a good way to go. That's only going to work for a segment of the population. Not 44%.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I think blaming capitalism for any of those problems is a straw man in itself. You mention smoking and drinking but those are usually more common in socialist countries (not because they are socialist). Those who work in government jobs in the U. S. (city offices, education) seem to have the same conditions, problems, and complaints as those workers in capitalistic private sector jobs.
    My perception is that people working government jobs may have to put up with some bureaucratic BS but they make the most of it and stay in those jobs for the benefits. And they like to feel like they are really making a difference in the hands-on work of making America great, so they really are dedicated to their work and goal oriented. A government job is seen as a good job with excellent job security. You can often get paid more for the same work in the private sector but the trade offs are questionable job security and less benefits.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

  7. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

    Earl (12-07-2019)

  8. #96 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    15,116
    Thanks
    3,940
    Thanked 3,775 Times in 3,272 Posts
    Groans
    11
    Groaned 151 Times in 147 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    There is no 'would bring' about all the good socialism has already produced.
    Correct. Socialism does not bring about any good.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    It has already happened. It is happening now and it will continue to happen.
    No. No socialism has brought about any good.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    People who have the mistaken idea that we are in some kind of battle between capitalism and socialism are out of touch.
    Not at all. This battle has gone on for thousands of years in one form or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    We already have socialism and it has lifted the poor from destitution.
    No. The poor are still there. They choose not to work. The poverty in the cities are caused by socialism.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    We use capitalism to pay for that socialism and the two work together to produce the highest standard of living ever known.
    They never work together. They are opposites of each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Delusional people who are afraid of socialism and afraid it is going to wipe out capitalism are under completely false impressions,
    Where socialism is strongest, people suffer the most. False dichotomy fallacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    hopelessly mixed up by capitalist propaganda.
    There is no such thing as 'capitalist propaganda', just as there is no such thing as 'socialist propaganda'. They are economic systems, not propaganda.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    The greediest capitalists among us foment and produce stupid propaganda for the sole reason of greed.
    So you abhor profit, do you? Guess that's why you're destitute?
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    The greediest richest few want to suppress our socialism
    It is not your socialism. You don't own socialism.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    simply to increase their own profits
    There it is. All hanging out pink and naked. You abhor profit. You abhor people working for themselves to bring themselves up and improve their own standard of living. You believe in the 'elite' making all their decision for them, and stealing the labor of others to benefit themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    and reduce their taxes
    Taxes are not an expense. It does not cost the government anything to reduce taxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    and their financial burden to help pay for the government programs.
    Government programs are expenses. There is no need for any government program that is unconstitutional.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    They strongly support the Republican party
    WRONG. You forget about the rich that are Democrats and support socialism.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    and circulate the false rumor that taxing is too high
    It is.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    and that we should always be trying to cut taxes.
    There is no need to take from others to support government programs that are u nconstitutional.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    That's wrong.
    Socialism is wrong. You cannot justify it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    They have been far too successful in spreading their lies.
    Socialism is the lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    That has produced the largest tax cut for the rich in history and with it the largest deficit in history.
    Tax cuts are not an expense. It doesn't cost the government a single dollar to cut taxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Fool's gold. We run our government on credit.
    No, we run it on tax revenue, bonds (credit), and by just printing money.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    The deeper in debt the government sinks, the greater their profits.
    Government has no profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Foolish and irresponsible.
    Think so? Get Congress to change. Unfortunately, the Democrats are currently in charge of the House.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Oh yeah, the economy is 'doing great,' they claim.
    It is.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    And the numbers look really good.
    They do.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    More people working than ever,
    They are.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    (at jobs that don't support them,)
    Who are you to decide what an 'acceptable' job is? Who are you to decide whether it 'supports' them? You are not the king.

    People like you disgust me. You take for granted those that make a living driving the trucks, running the farms, fix your powerlines, keep the sewer systems and fresh water systems running, service the restaurants, man the retail stores, and all the other things YOU deem 'the working poor'.

    YOU don't get to decide. You are not the king. YOU don't get to speak for what other people want to do for a living.

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    and the stock market is soaring.
    It is.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Not a word about the debt or the deficit because that is a sore subject.
    Guess who adds to that the most? DEMOCRATS!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Republicans were *SO* worried about the debt when Obama was President that when they were finally able to wrest control of the government away from the irresponsible Democrats they took matters in their own hands and made the debt problem FAR greater.
    The House is currently under the Democrats. Trump has managed to accomplish everything he has accomplished WITHOUT the help of the idiots in the House. There is, however, only so much he can do alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    It was totally irresponsible to have a tax cut for the richest when we had so much debt and the economy was strong.
    Tax cuts are not an expense. The government does not have to pay a single dollar for tax cuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    The responsible thing to do would be to use the power of that strong economy to pay down the debt they complained so bitterly about.
    Cutting government programs is the ONLY sustainable way to reduce the deficit or the debt. The government spends too much money. That's the problem...not tax cuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    We now borrow over a trillion dollars a year to run our government and the rich enjoy the lowest taxes in decades.
    Cut government programs, particularly those that are unconstitutional anyway.

  9. #97 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    15,116
    Thanks
    3,940
    Thanked 3,775 Times in 3,272 Posts
    Groans
    11
    Groaned 151 Times in 147 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,



    And like I said the cost of living is too high and the traffic is a nightmare. You wonder why people seem crazy out there, there's your answer. Living there drives people crazy. That's why all the 'opportunity' of those 'great jobs' is being left unfilled.
    Life in the SOTC...a socialist enclave.

  10. #98 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    15,116
    Thanks
    3,940
    Thanked 3,775 Times in 3,272 Posts
    Groans
    11
    Groaned 151 Times in 147 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,



    Every time I visit out there I always leave with the same thought. I can't understand why anyone would live there. Great place but it has been spoiled by too many people. I just can't live that life. No more than I could live in NYC.
    Yet you advocate the very thing that destroyed California and turned it into the SOTC.

  11. #99 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    15,116
    Thanks
    3,940
    Thanked 3,775 Times in 3,272 Posts
    Groans
    11
    Groaned 151 Times in 147 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,



    I do not equate Bernie with irresponsible budgeting. That is propaganda from the greedy rich who don't want to pay the higher taxes required of a responsible society. Bernie says nothing about having any intention to run high deficits. He talks about taxing the wealthy to pay for responsible social programs meant to promote the general welfare.
    Socialism and communism are not responsible government programs.

  12. #100 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    15,116
    Thanks
    3,940
    Thanked 3,775 Times in 3,272 Posts
    Groans
    11
    Groaned 151 Times in 147 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
    Working Class Spiraling Into Poverty

    So leave.

  13. #101 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    9,925
    Thanks
    386
    Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,911 Posts
    Groans
    157
    Groaned 82 Times in 80 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Also true, but doesn't tell the whole story. Everybody isn't a nerd. The thought of staring at a computer screen 14 hours a day is not appealing to most people. Vitamin D deficiency is not a good way to go. That's only going to work for a segment of the population. Not 44%..
    I agree. I know many men who would not be happy inside an office all day. But if you want to work less hours to spend time with your family and avoid jobs you find undesirable and have no special skills, you are making the decision to earn less money and be in that 44%. That is equally true under capitalism or socialism.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

    PoliTalker (12-08-2019)

  15. #102 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    In my house
    Posts
    13,443
    Thanks
    1,599
    Thanked 4,701 Times in 3,543 Posts
    Groans
    4
    Groaned 277 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Celticguy,



    Fools are born every day. If we don't do anything to wise them up then we are a nation of fools.

    That doesn't make America great.
    I think Ron White said it best, "you cant fix stupid".
    America is great despite it's idiots because its about opportunity. Other lands simply dont offer that.
    ERIC CIARAMELLA whose name may not be spoken

  16. #103 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    93,193
    Thanks
    6,066
    Thanked 26,540 Times in 21,144 Posts
    Groans
    2,213
    Groaned 2,201 Times in 2,097 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
    Nearly half of American workers have low-wage jobs.
    isn't it funny how averages work?......nearly have do, nearly have don't......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  17. #104 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    56,086
    Thanks
    3,434
    Thanked 17,139 Times in 11,887 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 617 Times in 584 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,



    Well there has to be something for everybody. Diversity makes us great.
    America is the greatest country in the world but I don’t think we are unique in terms of having Cities, suburbs and rural/country areas. That is something you can generally find anywhere.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

    PoliTalker (12-08-2019)

  19. #105 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    56,086
    Thanks
    3,434
    Thanked 17,139 Times in 11,887 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 617 Times in 584 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    There's already far too many people with degrees. People are complaining that they need a degree for a job that only pays $15-20 an hour. Why make it worse? Why is supply and demand such an elusive concept for you liberal idiots?
    To me it’s more about the quality of the degrees. A large number of people with sociology, psychology, social work degrees etc. aren’t going to get people higher paying jobs. The return on that investment isn’t high.

Similar Threads

  1. Almost half of Americans work in low-wage jobs
    By guno in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12-05-2019, 07:55 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-20-2019, 02:21 PM
  3. The White House is only telling you half of the sad story of American jobs
    By signalmankenneth in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-26-2017, 08:33 AM
  4. Trump announces 8,000 more jobs for American workers
    By anatta in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 305
    Last Post: 01-01-2017, 02:18 PM
  5. McDonald's workers sue for wage theft!
    By signalmankenneth in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2014, 04:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •