You never know what Donald Trump is going to say next. But then, at times he doesn’t seem to know what he said before, either.

Take the extraordinary press conference he gave yesterday in London. He treated reporters to a 48-minute outpouring, during which he pronounced on everything from what he calls “the impeachment hoax” to the seemingly endless failings of Barack Obama.

The one subject he tried not to express a view on was our own election. Apparently he has “no thoughts” on the election. He did, however, declare it was completely false to claim that America wanted the NHS “on the table”. “I don’t even know where that rumour came from.”

He may be interested to learn that it came from him. Just six months ago, during his state visit to Britain, Trump told reporters: “When you’re dealing in trade, everything is on the table. So NHS or anything else.”

That wasn’t the only thing that seemed to have slipped his mind. “I don’t know Prince Andrew,” he insisted. “I don’t know him.” The president was pictured with Prince Andrew most recently last June.

Although determined not to comment on British politics, Trump did reiterate his support for Brexit. Not for the first time, he boasted that he’d predicted it.

“I called it the day before,” he told reporters, with an air of fond reminiscence. “I was opening up Turnberry [his Scottish golf course] the day before – many of you were there And they asked me whether or not Brexit would happen. I said yes, and everybody laughed. The next day they had the referendum – and I was right.”

Great story. Pity it it's not true. In reality, Trump didn’t arrive at Turnberry until the day after the referendum.

It’s fascinating. Not only does he seem to forget things that have happened. He also seems to recall – with the most dazzling clarity – things that never happened at all.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...ference-truly/