Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Julia Roberts to play Harriet Tubman

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    9,799
    Thanks
    4,295
    Thanked 3,467 Times in 2,556 Posts
    Groans
    4
    Groaned 616 Times in 566 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Julia Roberts to play Harriet Tubman

    Harriet Tubman Descendant Reacts to News That Julia Roberts Was Suggested for Role

    A relative of Harriet Tubman reacted to the story shared by Harriet screenwriter Gregory Allen Howard in which a Hollywood executive in the '90s suggested casting Julia Roberts as the woman who freed countless slaves. Tubman's great-great-great-grandniece Tina Wyatt told TMZ that the mere suggestion that a white woman play Tubman is incredibly disrespectful and went on to say that the black community would not stand for a whitewashed version of Tubman's story.

    "What do you think would have happened?" Wyatt said. "You would have had a boycott." See her full response below:

    News of that long-ago meeting and the bad ideas Howard deftly avoided in the long process of getting Harriet made came to light in a piece Q&A with Howard for Focus Features. The writer behind Remember the Titans and Ali said that “the climate in Hollywood…was very different” when he first began pitching Tubman's story. He said the executive doubled down on the choice of Roberts, saying the public wouldn't know Tubman was not white because the story was about 150 years in the past.

    “I was told how one studio head said in a meeting, ‘This script is fantastic. Let’s get Julia Roberts to play Harriet Tubman,'” Allen said. “When someone pointed out that Roberts couldn’t be Harriet, the executive responded, ‘It was so long ago. No one is going to know the difference.'”

    Another typical white racist mofo who think Blacks don't know their history.

    I posted this because of sailor's comment. He thinks Blacks are too stupid to know their history as well. The racist bitch said BLACKS OWNED SLAVES IN WHITE AMERICA. Only racist fools such as himself, believes that.

    When you vote republican, this is what you support.

  2. The Following 2 Users Groan At TTQ64 For This Awful Post:

    Dark Soul (11-21-2019), Grajonca (11-21-2019)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    25,626
    Thanks
    10,639
    Thanked 7,111 Times in 5,526 Posts
    Groans
    369
    Groaned 1,581 Times in 1,455 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    "One of the most vexing questions in African-American history is whether free African Americans themselves owned slaves. The short answer to this question, as you might suspect, is yes, of course; some free black people in this country bought and sold other black people, and did so at least since 1654, continuing to do so right through the Civil War. For me, the really fascinating questions about black slave-owning are how many black "masters" were involved, how many slaves did they own and why did they own slaves?"
    https://www.theroot.com/did-black-pe...ves-1790895436

    "(The Root) — 100 Amazing Facts About the Negro No. 21: Did black people own slaves? If so, why?"




    Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    Harriet Tubman Descendant Reacts to News That Julia Roberts Was Suggested for Role

    A relative of Harriet Tubman reacted to the story shared by Harriet screenwriter Gregory Allen Howard in which a Hollywood executive in the '90s suggested casting Julia Roberts as the woman who freed countless slaves. Tubman's great-great-great-grandniece Tina Wyatt told TMZ that the mere suggestion that a white woman play Tubman is incredibly disrespectful and went on to say that the black community would not stand for a whitewashed version of Tubman's story.

    "What do you think would have happened?" Wyatt said. "You would have had a boycott." See her full response below:

    News of that long-ago meeting and the bad ideas Howard deftly avoided in the long process of getting Harriet made came to light in a piece Q&A with Howard for Focus Features. The writer behind Remember the Titans and Ali said that “the climate in Hollywood…was very different” when he first began pitching Tubman's story. He said the executive doubled down on the choice of Roberts, saying the public wouldn't know Tubman was not white because the story was about 150 years in the past.

    “I was told how one studio head said in a meeting, ‘This script is fantastic. Let’s get Julia Roberts to play Harriet Tubman,'” Allen said. “When someone pointed out that Roberts couldn’t be Harriet, the executive responded, ‘It was so long ago. No one is going to know the difference.'”

    Another typical white racist mofo who think Blacks don't know their history.

    I posted this because of sailor's comment. He thinks Blacks are too stupid to know their history as well. The racist bitch said BLACKS OWNED SLAVES IN WHITE AMERICA. Only racist fools such as himself, believes that.

    When you vote republican, this is what you support.

  4. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    26,249
    Thanks
    8,509
    Thanked 15,776 Times in 10,908 Posts
    Groans
    23
    Groaned 383 Times in 370 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    Harriet Tubman Descendant Reacts to News That Julia Roberts Was Suggested for Role

    A relative of Harriet Tubman reacted to the story shared by Harriet screenwriter Gregory Allen Howard in which a Hollywood executive in the '90s suggested casting Julia Roberts as the woman who freed countless slaves. Tubman's great-great-great-grandniece Tina Wyatt told TMZ that the mere suggestion that a white woman play Tubman is incredibly disrespectful and went on to say that the black community would not stand for a whitewashed version of Tubman's story.

    "What do you think would have happened?" Wyatt said. "You would have had a boycott." See her full response below:

    News of that long-ago meeting and the bad ideas Howard deftly avoided in the long process of getting Harriet made came to light in a piece Q&A with Howard for Focus Features. The writer behind Remember the Titans and Ali said that “the climate in Hollywood…was very different” when he first began pitching Tubman's story. He said the executive doubled down on the choice of Roberts, saying the public wouldn't know Tubman was not white because the story was about 150 years in the past.

    “I was told how one studio head said in a meeting, ‘This script is fantastic. Let’s get Julia Roberts to play Harriet Tubman,'” Allen said. “When someone pointed out that Roberts couldn’t be Harriet, the executive responded, ‘It was so long ago. No one is going to know the difference.'”

    Another typical white racist mofo who think Blacks don't know their history.

    I posted this because of sailor's comment. He thinks Blacks are too stupid to know their history as well. The racist bitch said BLACKS OWNED SLAVES IN WHITE AMERICA. Only racist fools such as himself, believes that.

    When you vote republican, this is what you support.
    Feel free to prove me wrong TTQ. Feel free to prove that blacks in this country were not slave owners. Until then, wannabe African, shut the fuck up. And stop making black people look stupid. Just because you and relatively small group of blacks in this country are ignorant, it certainly does not mean a majority of the other are.
    Consider the Oyster.

    C-4 is just angry playdoh.

  5. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    25,626
    Thanks
    10,639
    Thanked 7,111 Times in 5,526 Posts
    Groans
    369
    Groaned 1,581 Times in 1,455 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    "In a fascinating essay reviewing this controversy, R. Halliburton shows that free black people have owned slaves "in each of the thirteen original states and later in every state that countenanced slavery," at least since Anthony Johnson and his wife Mary went to court in Virginia in 1654 to obtain the services of their indentured servant, a black man, John Castor, for life."

  6. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,707
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 886 Times in 633 Posts
    Groans
    20
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    Harriet Tubman Descendant Reacts to News That Julia Roberts Was Suggested for Role

    A relative of Harriet Tubman reacted to the story shared by Harriet screenwriter Gregory Allen Howard in which a Hollywood executive in the '90s suggested casting Julia Roberts as the woman who freed countless slaves. Tubman's great-great-great-grandniece Tina Wyatt told TMZ that the mere suggestion that a white woman play Tubman is incredibly disrespectful and went on to say that the black community would not stand for a whitewashed version of Tubman's story.

    "What do you think would have happened?" Wyatt said. "You would have had a boycott." See her full response below:

    News of that long-ago meeting and the bad ideas Howard deftly avoided in the long process of getting Harriet made came to light in a piece Q&A with Howard for Focus Features. The writer behind Remember the Titans and Ali said that “the climate in Hollywood…was very different” when he first began pitching Tubman's story. He said the executive doubled down on the choice of Roberts, saying the public wouldn't know Tubman was not white because the story was about 150 years in the past.

    “I was told how one studio head said in a meeting, ‘This script is fantastic. Let’s get Julia Roberts to play Harriet Tubman,'” Allen said. “When someone pointed out that Roberts couldn’t be Harriet, the executive responded, ‘It was so long ago. No one is going to know the difference.'”

    Another typical white racist mofo who think Blacks don't know their history.

    I posted this because of sailor's comment. He thinks Blacks are too stupid to know their history as well. The racist bitch said BLACKS OWNED SLAVES IN WHITE AMERICA. Only racist fools such as himself, believes that.

    When you vote republican, this is what you support.
    A did you know moment.
    Did you know that the person that made the above suggestion for aJulia Roberts is a black liberal? Just view his tweets.

    Tweets & replies

    Media

    Likes

    Gregory Allen Howard’s Tweets

    Gregory Allen Howard

    @GregoryAHoward

    ·

    Aug 15

    The President and the Pervert, the dead pervert. The Democrats should be having a field day with this—they're not. Why? Dems fight using Marquess of Queensbury Rules. Trump is a cage fighter. Dems need to get nasty to win.

  7. The Following User Groans At Southern Chicken For This Awful Post:

    Crocodile (11-21-2019)

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Southern Chicken For This Post:

    Sailor (11-21-2019)

  9. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    90,736
    Thanks
    5,527
    Thanked 25,518 Times in 20,369 Posts
    Groans
    2,140
    Groaned 2,167 Times in 2,063 Posts

    Default

    didn't a black guy play Aaron Burr?......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  10. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    25,626
    Thanks
    10,639
    Thanked 7,111 Times in 5,526 Posts
    Groans
    369
    Groaned 1,581 Times in 1,455 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Feel free to prove me wrong TTQ. Feel free to prove that blacks in this country were not slave owners. Until then, wannabe African, shut the fuck up. And stop making black people look stupid. Just because you and relatively small group of blacks in this country are ignorant, it certainly does not mean a majority of the other are.
    I'm afraid TTQ was brought up on a cotton plantation in Downtown L.A., separate drinking fountains, forced to ride in the back of the bus, and of course, wasn't allowed to eat with white people at McDonalds.

  11. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,707
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 886 Times in 633 Posts
    Groans
    20
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    didn't a black guy play Aaron Burr?......
    Lol

  12. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    19,363
    Thanks
    525
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 2,746 Posts
    Groans
    85
    Groaned 1,304 Times in 1,191 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    Harriet Tubman Descendant Reacts to News That Julia Roberts Was Suggested for Role

    A relative of Harriet Tubman reacted to the story shared by Harriet screenwriter Gregory Allen Howard in which a Hollywood executive in the '90s suggested casting Julia Roberts as the woman who freed countless slaves. Tubman's great-great-great-grandniece Tina Wyatt told TMZ that the mere suggestion that a white woman play Tubman is incredibly disrespectful and went on to say that the black community would not stand for a whitewashed version of Tubman's story.

    "What do you think would have happened?" Wyatt said. "You would have had a boycott." See her full response below:

    News of that long-ago meeting and the bad ideas Howard deftly avoided in the long process of getting Harriet made came to light in a piece Q&A with Howard for Focus Features. The writer behind Remember the Titans and Ali said that “the climate in Hollywood…was very different” when he first began pitching Tubman's story. He said the executive doubled down on the choice of Roberts, saying the public wouldn't know Tubman was not white because the story was about 150 years in the past.

    “I was told how one studio head said in a meeting, ‘This script is fantastic. Let’s get Julia Roberts to play Harriet Tubman,'” Allen said. “When someone pointed out that Roberts couldn’t be Harriet, the executive responded, ‘It was so long ago. No one is going to know the difference.'”

    Another typical white racist mofo who think Blacks don't know their history.

    I posted this because of sailor's comment. He thinks Blacks are too stupid to know their history as well. The racist bitch said BLACKS OWNED SLAVES IN WHITE AMERICA. Only racist fools such as himself, believes that.

    When you vote republican, this is what you support.
    The story about Julia Roberts was fake.
    Yes, Sailor is a retard, but he's right about this. Free Blacks did own black slaves in White America. So did Jews and Native Americans.

  13. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    9,799
    Thanks
    4,295
    Thanked 3,467 Times in 2,556 Posts
    Groans
    4
    Groaned 616 Times in 566 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    "One of the most vexing questions in African-American history is whether free African Americans themselves owned slaves. The short answer to this question, as you might suspect, is yes, of course; some free black people in this country bought and sold other black people, and did so at least since 1654, continuing to do so right through the Civil War. For me, the really fascinating questions about black slave-owning are how many black "masters" were involved, how many slaves did they own and why did they own slaves?"
    https://www.theroot.com/did-black-pe...ves-1790895436

    "(The Root) — 100 Amazing Facts About the Negro No. 21: Did black people own slaves? If so, why?"

    The Root?

  14. The Following User Groans At TTQ64 For This Awful Post:

    Grajonca (11-21-2019)

  15. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    26,249
    Thanks
    8,509
    Thanked 15,776 Times in 10,908 Posts
    Groans
    23
    Groaned 383 Times in 370 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    The story about Julia Roberts was fake.
    Yes, Sailor is a retard, but he's right about this. Free Blacks did own black slaves in White America. So did Jews and Native Americans.
    Blow it out your ass mental midget. And find a damn job.
    Consider the Oyster.

    C-4 is just angry playdoh.

  16. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    26,249
    Thanks
    8,509
    Thanked 15,776 Times in 10,908 Posts
    Groans
    23
    Groaned 383 Times in 370 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    The Root?
    If anyone posts anything more than a cartoon or something in crayon, you obviously could not understand it.
    Consider the Oyster.

    C-4 is just angry playdoh.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor For This Post:

    Grajonca (11-21-2019)

  18. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    9,799
    Thanks
    4,295
    Thanked 3,467 Times in 2,556 Posts
    Groans
    4
    Groaned 616 Times in 566 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    A bunch of pasty mouth-breathers using the strawman “Blacks owned slaves in white america” immediately invalidates any argument he has, as far as I’m concerned, but that seems to be the second most popular false narrative that gets tossed around after “But you SHOULD be protesting black on black crime in Chicago instead of blocking my traffic or disturbing my peace!”.


    The Root? Gates thought he was exempt because he voted republican and spews their hate. But they got his ass.



    Just like Gates......none of you racist fucks are credible.

  19. The Following User Groans At TTQ64 For This Awful Post:

    Grajonca (11-21-2019)

  20. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    61,195
    Thanks
    16,641
    Thanked 16,306 Times in 12,180 Posts
    Groans
    626
    Groaned 1,057 Times in 1,003 Posts

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaz For This Post:

    Grajonca (11-21-2019), Sailor (11-21-2019)

  22. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    9,799
    Thanks
    4,295
    Thanked 3,467 Times in 2,556 Posts
    Groans
    4
    Groaned 616 Times in 566 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Chicken View Post
    A did you know moment.
    Did you know that the person that made the above suggestion for aJulia Roberts is a black liberal? Just view his tweets.

    Tweets & replies

    Media

    Likes

    Gregory Allen Howard’s Tweets

    Gregory Allen Howard

    @GregoryAHoward

    ·

    Aug 15

    The President and the Pervert, the dead pervert. The Democrats should be having a field day with this—they're not. Why? Dems fight using Marquess of Queensbury Rules. Trump is a cage fighter. Dems need to get nasty to win.
    Nope, he was a white movie executive.....the writer of the script was Black.

    You mofo's always trying to weasel your way out of shit.

Similar Threads

  1. What is the reason for putting Tubman on the 20
    By Yurt in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-19-2019, 05:09 PM
  2. There will be no Harriet Tubman $20 bill in the near future
    By Text Drivers are Killers in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 06-01-2019, 12:40 PM
  3. Baltimore renames former Confederate site for Harriet Tubman
    By signalmankenneth in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 03-13-2018, 08:06 PM
  4. Life of Julia - How Obama is helping women and Romney won't
    By cawacko in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 12:08 PM
  5. Harriet Myers and Sarah Palin
    By midcan5 in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 06:17 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •