Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whack a mole: Ukraine conspiracy theory pops up again

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,772 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 209 Posts

Default Whack a mole: Ukraine conspiracy theory pops up again

A discredited conspiracy theory that blames Ukraine, and not Russia, for interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election reared its head again during the first day of public impeachment hearings into President Donald Trump’s alleged attempt to pressure Ukraine into investigating a political opponent.

California Rep. Devin Nunes, the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, referenced it obliquely in defending Trump, saying “indications of Ukrainian election meddling” had troubled the president.

In broad outline, the theory contends, without evidence, that the 2016 hacking of the Democratic National Committee was a setup somehow perpetrated with Ukrainian complicity in which computer records were fabricated to cast blame on Russia. A key figure in this supposed conspiracy is CrowdStrike, a security firm hired by the DNC which detected and analyzed the hack five months before the 2016 election.

THE CALL

During the July 25 call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, Trump made a brief and cryptic reference to CrowdStrike. According to a reconstructed transcript of the call released by the White House, he said:

“I would like to find out what happened with this whole situation with Ukraine, they say CrowdStrike. I guess you have one of your wealthy people. The server, they say Ukraine has it.” Trump added that he’d like to have Attorney General William Barr call “you or your people and I would like you to get to the bottom of it.”

THE FACTS

CrowdStrike determined in June 2016 that Russian agents had broken into the committee’s network and stolen emails that were subsequently published by WikiLeaks. Its findings were confirmed by FBI investigators, with whom it later shared the forensic evidence.

Based on those findings, Special Counsel Robert Mueller indicted 12 members of Russia’s military intelligence agency and later concluded that their operation sought to favor Trump’s candidacy.

Mueller testified before the U.S. Congress the day before Trump’s phone call with Zelenskiy.

In the call, Trump mentioned Mueller’s “incompetent performance” and said “they say it started with Ukraine.”

THE FICTIONS

Unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about a purported Ukrainian link to the DNC hack began circulating almost immediately after it was discovered. Some propagated by Russian media and online included mention of a supposed “hidden DNC server,” which acolytes of the Republican political operative Roger Stone picked up and circulated.

Stone has now been convicted of lying to Congress, obstructing justice and witness tampering after getting swept up in the Mueller probe. He has claimed that CrowdStrike is concealing evidence that could presumably clear Russia of culpability.

CrowdStrike has also worked for the GOP. It helped the National Republican Congressional Committee investigate email thefts by unidentified hackers during the 2018 campaign.

THE UKRAINIAN CONNECTION

One version of the conspiracy theory holds that CrowdStrike is owned by a wealthy Ukrainian. In fact, company co-founder Dmitri Alperovitch is a Russian-born U.S. citizen who immigrated as a child and graduated from the Georgia Institute of Technology.

Trump himself has made this erroneous reference before.

In an April 2017 interview with The Associated Press, Trump said: “Why wouldn’t Podesta and Hillary Clinton allow the FBI to see the server? They brought in another company that I hear is Ukrainian-based.”

“CrowdStrike?” the interviewer asked.

“That’s what I heard,” Trump replied. “I heard it’s owned by a very rich Ukrainian, that’s what I heard ... I mean, there is so many things that nobody writes about. It’s incredible.”

WHY IT MATTERS

The reference raises questions about Trump’s ability — or, perhaps, willingness — to sort between fact and fiction.

“If we take Trump’s words at face value, then it appears that the president of the United States is intellectually unable to distinguish between utterly outlandish conspiracy theories and solid intelligence assessments based on facts,” said Thomas Rid, a Johns Hopkins security studies professor.

CrowdStrike said in a statement that it “provided all forensic evidence and analysis to the FBI.” It added: “We stand by our findings and conclusions that have been fully supported by the US Intelligence community.”

A PREVIOIUS REFERENCE

In October, acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney said the Trump administration’s decision to hold up military aid to Ukraine was linked to his demand that Kyiv investigate the DNC and the 2016 campaign.

“The look back to what happened in 2016 certainly was part of the thing that he was worried about in corruption with that nation,” Mulvaney said. “Did he also mention to me in the past the corruption that related to the DNC server? Absolutely, no question about that,” he added. “That’s why we held up the money.”

https://apnews.com/23c9022665dc40a1a69e613459955112

But AP is part of the ubiquitous fake news media. Better get the story from a source you can trust, like breitbart. It turns out that some Ukrainians didn't favor Trump for POTUS, and said so.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...piracy-theory/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tranquillus in Exile For This Post:

christiefan915 (11-18-2019), PoliTalker (11-21-2019), stoned (11-17-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillus in Exile View Post
    A discredited conspiracy theory that blames Ukraine, and not Russia, for interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election reared its head again during the first day of public impeachment hearings into President Donald Trump’s alleged attempt to pressure Ukraine into investigating a political opponent.

California Rep. Devin Nunes, the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, referenced it obliquely in defending Trump, saying “indications of Ukrainian election meddling” had troubled the president.

In broad outline, the theory contends, without evidence, that the 2016 hacking of the Democratic National Committee was a setup somehow perpetrated with Ukrainian complicity in which computer records were fabricated to cast blame on Russia. A key figure in this supposed conspiracy is CrowdStrike, a security firm hired by the DNC which detected and analyzed the hack five months before the 2016 election.

THE CALL

During the July 25 call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, Trump made a brief and cryptic reference to CrowdStrike. According to a reconstructed transcript of the call released by the White House, he said:

“I would like to find out what happened with this whole situation with Ukraine, they say CrowdStrike. I guess you have one of your wealthy people. The server, they say Ukraine has it.” Trump added that he’d like to have Attorney General William Barr call “you or your people and I would like you to get to the bottom of it.”

THE FACTS

CrowdStrike determined in June 2016 that Russian agents had broken into the committee’s network and stolen emails that were subsequently published by WikiLeaks. Its findings were confirmed by FBI investigators, with whom it later shared the forensic evidence.

Based on those findings, Special Counsel Robert Mueller indicted 12 members of Russia’s military intelligence agency and later concluded that their operation sought to favor Trump’s candidacy.

Mueller testified before the U.S. Congress the day before Trump’s phone call with Zelenskiy.

In the call, Trump mentioned Mueller’s “incompetent performance” and said “they say it started with Ukraine.”

THE FICTIONS

Unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about a purported Ukrainian link to the DNC hack began circulating almost immediately after it was discovered. Some propagated by Russian media and online included mention of a supposed “hidden DNC server,” which acolytes of the Republican political operative Roger Stone picked up and circulated.

Stone has now been convicted of lying to Congress, obstructing justice and witness tampering after getting swept up in the Mueller probe. He has claimed that CrowdStrike is concealing evidence that could presumably clear Russia of culpability.

CrowdStrike has also worked for the GOP. It helped the National Republican Congressional Committee investigate email thefts by unidentified hackers during the 2018 campaign.

THE UKRAINIAN CONNECTION

One version of the conspiracy theory holds that CrowdStrike is owned by a wealthy Ukrainian. In fact, company co-founder Dmitri Alperovitch is a Russian-born U.S. citizen who immigrated as a child and graduated from the Georgia Institute of Technology.

In an April 2017 interview with The Associated Press, Trump said: “Why wouldn’t Podesta and Hillary Clinton allow the FBI to see the server? They brought in another company that I hear is Ukrainian-based.”

“That’s what I heard,” Trump replied. “I heard it’s owned by a very rich Ukrainian, that’s what I heard ... I mean, there is so many things that nobody writes about. It’s incredible.”

WHY IT MATTERS

The reference raises questions about Trump’s ability — or, perhaps, willingness — to sort between fact and fiction.

“If we take Trump’s words at face value, then it appears that the president of the United States is intellectually unable to distinguish between utterly outlandish conspiracy theories and solid intelligence assessments based on facts,” said Thomas Rid, a Johns Hopkins security studies professor.

CrowdStrike said in a statement that it “provided all forensic evidence and analysis to the FBI.” It added: “We stand by our findings and conclusions that have been fully supported by the US Intelligence community.”

A PREVIOIUS REFERENCE

In October, acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney said the Trump administration’s decision to hold up military aid to Ukraine was linked to his demand that Kyiv investigate the DNC and the 2016 campaign.

“The look back to what happened in 2016 certainly was part of the thing that he was worried about in corruption with that nation,” Mulvaney said. “Did he also mention to me in the past the corruption that related to the DNC server? Absolutely, no question about that,” he added. “That’s why we held up the money.”

But AP is part of the ubiquitous fake news media. Better get the story from a source you can trust, like breitbart. It turns out that some Ukrainians didn't favor Trump for POTUS, and said so.

Really? So Politico was lying in 2017? https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...ackfire-233446

Ukrainian government officials tried to help Hillary Clinton and undermine Trump by publicly questioning his fitness for office. They also disseminated documents implicating a top Trump aide in corruption and suggested they were investigating the matter, only to back away after the election. And they helped Clinton’s allies research damaging information on Trump and his advisers,
    a Politico investigation found.
    Every life matters

4. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

Truth Detector (11-19-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Really? So Politico was lying in 2017? https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...ackfire-233446

Ukrainian government officials tried to help Hillary Clinton and undermine Trump by publicly questioning his fitness for office. They also disseminated documents implicating a top Trump aide in corruption and suggested they were investigating the matter, only to back away after the election. And they helped Clinton’s allies research damaging information on Trump and his advisers,
    OMG, there's the proof right there! Ukrainian agents must have framed Russians for hacking the DNC computers, as well as spamming millions of people with disinformation on social media, stealing the identities of Americans to organize fake rallies, and all the rest of it!

I've read that Politico article, Country Hick. Nobody said they were lying. Now YOU read it.

ADDED

There is not one scrap of evidence that Ukraine had anything to do with the DNC hack. And that's what Trump said he wants investigating.

“I would like to find out what happened with this whole situation with Ukraine, they say CrowdStrike. I guess you have one of your wealthy people. The server, they say Ukraine has it.”
    Last edited by Tranquillus in Exile; 11-17-2019 at 10:18 AM.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,131 Times in 9,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,565 Times in 17,092 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Crowdstrike is a legitimate business. It is a security company that discovered the Russian hacking. The rightys pretend they are crooked because they want to pretend the Russian did not help Trump. They did.Rightys turn everyone who is not in the business of helping Trump directly, into crooks who are hurting him. Rightys believe anything the top rightys tell them. It is BS.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Why are Righties so gullible when it comes to conspiracy theories?

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,565 Times in 17,092 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    They are all in with daffy. They cannot admit how badly he fooled them. Now people in his admin say that Zelensky communicated 3 times with US govt. people about the pressure Trump was exerting on him so soon after he was in office.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

PoliTalker (11-21-2019)

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

THE CALL

THE FACTS

THE FICTIONS

THE UKRAINIAN CONNECTION

WHY IT MATTERS

A PREVIOIUS REFERENCE

Your premise is faulty and your facts are conflated.

In short it’s a bogus post

12. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.2 For This Post:

Truth Detector (11-19-2019)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    Your premise is faulty and your facts are conflated.
    Could you be more specific? Which part of the "premise" is faulty and what has been conflated?

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

countryboy (11-19-2019)

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

OMG, there's the proof right there! Ukrainian agents must have framed Russians for hacking the DNC computers, as well as spamming millions of people with disinformation on social media, stealing the identities of Americans to organize fake rallies, and all the rest of it!
    Absurdity; a sure sign of the last desperate refuge for liars, fools and ignorance; and those who have lost their arguments.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Crowdstrike is a legitimate business. It is a security company that discovered the Russian hacking. The rightys pretend they are crooked because they want to pretend the Russian did not help Trump. They did.Rightys turn everyone who is not in the business of helping Trump directly, into crooks who are hurting him. Rightys believe anything the top rightys tell them. It is BS.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Why are LEFTIES so STUPID and DISHONEST when it comes to FACTS?

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    They are all in with daffy. They cannot admit how badly he fooled them. Now people in his admin say that Zelensky communicated 3 times with US govt. people about the pressure Trump was exerting on him so soon after he was in office.

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Could you be more specific? Which part of the "premise" is faulty and what has been conflated?
    Sure, it starts at "A discredited conspiracy theory that blames Ukraine" and ends with "It turns out that some Ukrainians didn't favor Trump for POTUS, and said so."