Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: VP Picks

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default VP Picks

I know this is all speculative, but I am seeing reports that Tom Kaine is the most likely VP pick for Obama.

I’m going to go third party if this is so.

The guy is anti-choice.

I wonder just how much of his base Obama feels comfortable kicking in the face, and then asking “what are you gonna do about it, vote for McCain?”

Seriously – Obama supporting a Bush attack on Iran, and Obama picking an anti-choice VP – two deal-breakers for me. Period. No discussion. You don’t get my vote mister. Go kiss con ass for their votes. Mine is off the table.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

This makes little sense for Obama. Kaine might help him take VA... but what else does he bring to the ticket? I still think he ends up with Biden, but I wouldn't mind him putting Kaine on the ticket for the reasons you mention.

How do you think the female Hillary supporters would take that?
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    This makes little sense for Obama. Kaine might help him take VA... but what else does he bring to the ticket? I still think he ends up with Biden, but I wouldn't mind him putting Kaine on the ticket for the reasons you mention.

How do you think the female Hillary supporters would take that?
    Oh, they’ll leave in droves, in my opinion. Contrary to what the press is trying to sell, a super-majority of former Hillary supporters now support Obama. I think this becomes a deal-breaker.

It’s always the women they think they can throw off the bus in the Democratic party though. Always.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I love Biden, btw.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Oh, they’ll leave in droves, in my opinion. Contrary to what the press is trying to sell, a super-majority of former Hillary supporters now support Obama. I think this becomes a deal-breaker.

It’s always the women they think they can throw off the bus in the Democratic party though. Always.
    That is what I would assume as well. Because not only would they not get Hillary on the ticket, but to choose an anti-choice VP.... hell they may not leave in droves... they may storm Denver in droves. Talk about a slap in the face. Kind of makes me hope he does it.... then I will just sit back and watch the fun here in August.

As for the second paragraph... yeah.. those Dem men are pretty much evil bastards
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

Wow, if he picks Kaine, Obama will be the third dem in a row to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Socrtease View Post
    Wow, if he picks Kaine, Obama will be the third dem in a row to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory.
    I can’t believe he’s going to do that. But that is what all of the so-called “informed leaks” are saying. Keane is number one right now. How could this be? I just would like to see the original Obama-supporting Hillary haters, who were so big on using abortion to keep the women in line, are going to say if this is the case. Choice was supposed to be our main concern when the female Hillary supporters were upset and talking about not backing Obama. Now, if Obama picks a anti-choice VP, who could be become President and pick the next supreme court justice, what are they going to tell women? They’ll tell them to sit down and shut up and stop whining anyway, because as I said, the Democratic party will always throw women off the bus, they have no problem doing that.

I hope that I am getting upset for nothing. I still have hopes that it is going to be Biden. Who can put the final nail in McCain’s mythology that he’s an expert on foreign policy. So, Biden is a good choice all the way around, in my opinion. I personally believe it was Biden who rendered the Guliani campaign to be a joke. He was the only one with the gravitas to sneer at the very idea that Rudy was Presidential material or knew jack shit about foreign policy. He made a jackass out of him.

He can do the same to McCain.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Biden/Obama! Elitists '08!

lol
    There is much to be said in favour of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.

-Oscar Wilde

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Darla, if Obama has a choice between winning Virginia and losing 25% of his votes in NY, what do you think he's going to do?
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    Darla, if Obama has a choice between winning Virginia and losing 25% of his votes in NY, what do you think he's going to do?
    I don’t believe that’s his choice, but say it was. Maybe he can win with a really low percentage of white women, God knows many of his supporters find white women expendable.

But he better be sure he can, because he’ll have to.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Socrtease View Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?nav=hcmodule

The above is an article on the possibility...

I think this is more Kaine trying to promote himself a bit... I just can't see Obama picking him up. His added value of locking up VA (imo) is far outweighed by the downside of pissing off a large group of Obama's potential voters.
    Quote from Cypress:

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    I can’t believe he’s going to do that. But that is what all of the so-called “informed leaks” are saying. Keane is number one right now. How could this be? I just would like to see the original Obama-supporting Hillary haters, who were so big on using abortion to keep the women in line, are going to say if this is the case. Choice was supposed to be our main concern when the female Hillary supporters were upset and talking about not backing Obama. Now, if Obama picks a anti-choice VP, who could be become President and pick the next supreme court justice, what are they going to tell women? They’ll tell them to sit down and shut up and stop whining anyway, because as I said, the Democratic party will always throw women off the bus, they have no problem doing that.

I hope that I am getting upset for nothing. I still have hopes that it is going to be Biden. Who can put the final nail in McCain’s mythology that he’s an expert on foreign policy. So, Biden is a good choice all the way around, in my opinion. I personally believe it was Biden who rendered the Guliani campaign to be a joke. He was the only one with the gravitas to sneer at the very idea that Rudy was Presidential material or knew jack shit about foreign policy. He made a jackass out of him.

He can do the same to McCain.
    For the reasons you state, I think it most likely Biden is the choice. Though BAC's suggestion of Nunn would also be an interesting (and good) choice.
    Quote from Cypress:

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?nav=hcmodule

The above is an article on the possibility...

I think this is more Kaine trying to promote himself a bit... I just can't see Obama picking him up. His added value of locking up VA (imo) is far outweighed by the downside of pissing off a large group of Obama's potential voters.
    We don’t have enough analysis yet to know which states that decision could lose him.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    Its not just in NY that he would lose those votes though.
    Quote from Cypress:

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

For the reasons you state, I think it most likely Biden is the choice. Though BAC's suggestion of Nunn would also be an interesting (and good) choice.
    It won’t be Nunn. I felt it was down to Biden or Edwards, but I’d say that Edwards is now out of the running, since that story is looking to me as if there’s something there. Kaine was someone I had dismissed out of hand, assuming that Obama wouldn’t be that stupid. But now I don’t know.