Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: SCHOOL SHOOTING, multiple victims-CA (doesn't even warrant 'honorable' mention here?)

1. #256 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle-Eye View Post
    No one is directly responsible. But I believe the root causes are a lack of parental guidance, respect of authority, and bullying. This is just a few The cause goes much farther than the few things I listed. One thing I know for sure a cause is not the abundance of guns.
    Nor guns being easy to obtain. You could buy a surplus M-1 at a hardware store years ago. You could mail order a rifle from Sears.
    When I started buying guns, they were easy to get, no background checks at all. I wouldn't buy one at a gun shop now, but I have more than I need anyway
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

2. #257 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,527 Times in 52,744 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

No one is directly responsible. But I believe the root causes are a lack of parental guidance, respect of authority, and bullying. This is just a few The cause goes much farther than the few things I listed. One thing I know for sure a cause is not the abundance of guns.
    The abundance of guns just makes it easier to get even though, eh? Bullying and lack of parental guidance have been with us forever. But back when you and I were kids someone who was bullied either kept it to him/herself, or confronted the bully and beat them up (or got their big brother to do it lol). They didn't come to school with a quasi-military grade weapon and start shooting indiscriminately. We can't stop bullying despite Melania's be best efforts ( ). We can't force parents to be involved with their kids. We *can* do something about the easy availability of weapons of mass destruction. Yet we do not.

Rather than asking why ppl commit mass murders, why aren't we asking "Why aren't we doing something about the tools used in those mass murders"?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

3. #258 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    The abundance of guns just makes it easier to get even though, eh? Bullying and lack of parental guidance have been with us forever. But back when you and I were kids someone who was bullied either kept it to him/herself, or confronted the bully and beat them up (or got their big brother to do it lol). They didn't come to school with a quasi-military grade weapon and start shooting indiscriminately. We can't stop bullying despite Melania's be best efforts ( ). We can't force parents to be involved with their kids. We *can* do something about the easy availability of weapons of mass destruction. Yet we do not.

Rather than asking why ppl commit mass murders, why aren't we asking "Why aren't we doing something about the tools used in those mass murders"?
    Children, in my experience, are, en masse, ghastly people, and obviously to allow them guns is madness. Your national madness in this respect makes it much, much worse. I often wonder if schools are really worth having, except as a way to realise that our delusions about humanity don't alter the dreadful facts. I was a good fighter with my fists, but the thought of murdering other children is really dreadful.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Iolo/Penderyn For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (11-20-2019)

5. #259 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Penderyn View Post
    Children, in my experience, are, en masse, ghastly people, and obviously to allow them guns is madness. Your national madness in this respect makes it much, much worse. I often wonder if schools are really worth having, except as a way to realise that our delusions about humanity don't alter the dreadful facts. I was a good fighter with my fists, but the thought of murdering other children is really dreadful.
    I realized after Sandy Hook that if we as a nation can continue to resist any change in gun laws despite the cold-blooded murder of little children and their teachers, we will never do anything about our national madness.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Iolo/Penderyn (11-20-2019)

7. #260 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,766 Times in 7,268 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    So, without knowing me, you have a seething hatred of me.
    Would you know who I was if you saw me at a car show?
    Would your first question be which political side was I on?
    Do you think you'd recognize me? What would give me away?
    You didn't spend $100k+ on a Corvette just to drive it, you'd
    want to show it off wouldn't you? Hell, I show my Cobra
    every chance I get and travel with 7 or 8 guys and haven't
    a clue what their political affiliation is. Should I ask them? If
    they were liberals, should I immediately disassociate myself
    from them? Should they from me? Why?
    You make a good point,
    It's not great to be obsessed with politics, but I always have been.
    I've abandoned friends of forty-plus years.
    I've disowned family.
    We don't draw our own blueprints. I'm obsessed about politics because that's how I'm wired.

8. #261 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nor guns being easy to obtain. You could buy a surplus M-1 at a hardware store years ago. You could mail order a rifle from Sears.
    When I started buying guns, they were easy to get, no background checks at all. I wouldn't buy one at a gun shop now, but I have more than I need anyway

Yet you can't refute my above post. Guns were far easier to get when I was young than they are today. That is a fact.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

9. #262 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,526 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

And when we were kids we were taught there are winners and losers, We were taught to standup for ourselves and to respect others. We weren't molly coddled and sheltered from failure and pain. In fact it was easier to obtain guns then than it is now. Guns aren't the problem it's parents wanting to be pals instead of being parents and schools with their no child left behind PC crap.

We have more than enough laws regulating the sale of guns. And lastly get off the military grade weapons. There are no military grade weapons sold to the general public. Just because a gun looks like a military weapon doesn't make it one.

In fact you talk about the abundance of guns here what about the ME were every other person is walking around with real military weapons and they don't have the mass shootings! Something for you to think about.

10. #263 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    You make a good point,
    It's not great to be obsessed with politics, but I always have been.
    I've abandoned friends of forty-plus years.
    I've disowned family.
    We don't draw our own blueprints. I'm obsessed about politics because that's how I'm wired.
    I don't possess that much hatred. Politics doesn't rule my life, I have many interests.
    One of my coworkers before I retired is a die hard liberal preaching treehugger and drives a Prius, he left when I did because he had cancer. He was a master welder/fabricator. I just called him last week to see how he's doing (he's actually in remission) and we shot the shit for over a half hour.
    Disown family members? No, I have family who are liberals. Some still here, some are gone. I'm sure glad I never disowned those who are gone.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

12. #264 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yet you can't refute my above post. Guns were far easier to get when I was young than they are today. That is a fact.
    Sorry, didn't see your post. I recall the laws about mail ordering firearms changed after JFK's assassination; apparently Oswald got his weapon that way.

We had a ban on assault style weapons. And few mass murders. Then it expired. As did more human beings by these lethal WMDs.

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/13/75065...-did-it-expire

13. #265 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Sorry, didn't see your post. I recall the laws about mail ordering firearms changed after JFK's assassination; apparently Oswald got his weapon that way.

We had a ban on assault style weapons. And few mass murders. Then it expired. As did more human beings by these lethal WMDs.

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/13/75065...-did-it-expire
    Interesting that the facts were claimed by both sides whether the ban was effective or not. Of course, after it was lifted, the media and anti gunners went into a frenzy, putting them in the headlines.
    The media glorified such weapons and these idiots started using them more and more for their "15 minutes of fame," most who never saw that "fame." With all the publicity, it's no wonder idiots started using them.

14. #266 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

These kids were just 14 years old- in other words- very young teenagers. Obviously, the shooting was over a lover-scorned- even at such a young age, the shooter wanted to kill his love, his competition, and take his own life.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM: The young shooter had access to an ACP! This is something that could have been prevented.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Adolf_Twitler For This Post:

16. #267 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,526 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    These kids were just 14 years old- in other words- very young teenagers. Obviously, the shooting was over a lover-scorned- even at such a young age, the shooter wanted to kill his love, his competition, and take his own life.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM: The young shooter had access to an ACP! This is something that could have been prevented.
    I agree this was preventable. Kids talk before doing anything the ball was dropped.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Adolf_Twitler (11-20-2019)

18. #268 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,484 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 611 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MASON View Post
    I thought Hillary was the worse choice of a candidate the Democrats could chose.
    Agreed!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RINO is the term for that rare Republican who puts country above party.

Right wing = lie, lie, and lie some more.

"When I am president I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to play golf" Donald J. Trump, world class snake oil salesman and compulsive golfer August 2016

The definition of "racist" as "anyone who is white" is itself racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Powell
    It’s now ‘me the president’ instead of ‘we the people’

19. #269 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Agreed.

"When I am president I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to play golf" Donald J. Trump, world class snake oil salesman and compulsive golfer August 2016

20. #270 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Those tools were even easier to get when you and I were kids, but no one took them to school to try to kill as many as possible. It's the behavior that's the real problem, not the tool.