Members banned from this thread: USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, canceled.2021.2, Irish, Text Drivers are Killers, CFM, Ralph, Stretch, Getin the ring, TOP, countryboy, Into the Night, gfm7175, Earl, Terri4Trump and OG Yurt

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Republican War on Science Continues

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,494 Times in 9,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,427 Times in 1,256 Posts

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to signalmankenneth For This Post:

christiefan915 (11-12-2019), Guno צְבִי (11-12-2019), ThatOwlWoman (11-12-2019), Trumpet (11-12-2019)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    He's stacked the courts pretty well. Certain demographics were warned about the '16 election, and the courts. They couldn't be bothered to vote because....Sanders.
    *sigh* True. Dark, dark days for this country.

If the economy is as great as the Toadstool & Sycophants claim, what's the rush then to roll back environmental protections? Seems if it's so great now, it got that way regardless of so-called "business-stifling regulations," eh?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Althea (11-12-2019), Guno צְבִי (11-12-2019), signalmankenneth (11-12-2019), Trumpet (11-12-2019)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 948 Times in 862 Posts

I suspect the vast majority of rightys believe ln science. The fact is the leaders of the right find profit in fighting environmental laws. They have decided that more profits in their lifetimes trumps keeping the future cleaner for those who follow. The Kochs and others on top are trading more profit now for a dirtier future.
    The elite rightys are not stupid. They are like Trump. They look no farther than what benefits themselves now.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gonzomin For This Post:

Cypress (11-12-2019), ThatOwlWoman (11-12-2019), Trumpet (11-12-2019)

7. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    I suspect the vast majority of rightys believe ln science. The fact is the leaders of the right find profit in fighting environmental laws. They have decided that more profits in their lifetimes trumps keeping the future cleaner for those who follow. The Kochs and others on top are trading more profit now for a dirtier future.
    The elite rightys are not stupid. They are like Trump. They look no farther than what benefits themselves now.
    Truth ^

The leaders of our first nation bands here are supposed to follow the "seven generations" rule. All decisions made are to be weighed with the future in mind -- "How will what we do today affect us seven generations down the road?" We would all do well to adopt that thinking ourselves. I was born in a time when no one really cared much about pollution and how it might affect health. Fortunately my elders realized that my generation (their children) and those after would suffer if we didn't clean up our nest. So they passed the legislation that created the EPA. As a result I -- and every other American -- has been able to breathe relatively clean air, and drink clean safe water. (Your results may vary in Flint.)

Unless we rid ourselves of 1) anti-education/anti-science morons, and 2) extreme partisanship, those bad old days will be coming back.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (11-12-2019), evince (11-12-2019)

9. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

He's stacked the courts pretty well. Certain demographics were warned about the '16 election, and the courts. They couldn't be bothered to vote because....Sanders.
    I am reasonably confident that the damage Trump is doing to the environment is reversible.

Once Trump loses the senate and the White House for the Republican Party, a Democratic administration has a lot influence simply through executive action, executive orders, and regulation through the executive agencies. Trump's executive orders can be tossed out the window. The good news is that Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, Endangered Species Act are so popular with Americans, that even legal challenges purporting to undermine their legal authority are destined to be doomed. The danger is when Republicans try to weaken these laws, but to some extent that can be mitigated by having the Executive agencies under the control of sentient human beings, aka Democrats.

10. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (11-12-2019)

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Althea (11-12-2019), christiefan915 (11-12-2019), evince (11-12-2019), Guno צְבִי (11-12-2019), ThatOwlWoman (11-12-2019)

12. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    "WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is preparing to significantly limit the scientific and medical research that the government can use to determine public health regulations, overriding protests from scientists and physicians who say the new rule would undermine the scientific underpinnings of government policymaking.

A new draft of the Environmental Protection Agency proposal, titled Strengthening Transparency in Regulatory Science, would require that scientists disclose all of their raw data, including confidential medical records, before the agency could consider an academic study’s conclusions. E.P.A. officials called the plan a step toward transparency and said the disclosure of raw data would allow conclusions to be verified independently."
    "Public health experts warned that studies that have been used for decades — to show, for example, that mercury from power plants impairs brain development, or that lead in paint dust is tied to behavioral disorders in children — might be inadmissible when existing regulations come up for renewal.

For instance, a groundbreaking 1993 Harvard University project that definitively linked polluted air to premature deaths, currently the foundation of the nation’s air-quality laws, could become inadmissible. When gathering data for their research, known as the Six Cities study, scientists signed confidentiality agreements to track the private medical and occupational histories of more than 22,000 people in six cities. They combined that personal data with home air-quality data to study the link between chronic exposure to air pollution and mortality.

But the fossil fuel industry and some Republican lawmakers have long criticized the analysis and a similar study by the American Cancer Society, saying the underlying data sets of both were never made public, preventing independent analysis of the conclusions."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/11/c...nce-trump.html
    pure evil

13. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (11-12-2019)

14. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Truth ^

The leaders of our first nation bands here are supposed to follow the "seven generations" rule. All decisions made are to be weighed with the future in mind -- "How will what we do today affect us seven generations down the road?" We would all do well to adopt that thinking ourselves. I was born in a time when no one really cared much about pollution and how it might affect health. Fortunately my elders realized that my generation (their children) and those after would suffer if we didn't clean up our nest. So they passed the legislation that created the EPA. As a result I -- and every other American -- has been able to breathe relatively clean air, and drink clean safe water. (Your results may vary in Flint.)

Unless we rid ourselves of 1) anti-education/anti-science morons, and 2) extreme partisanship, those bad old days will be coming back.
    the generation that came of age in the 1950s were raised in a time in history when the Corporations and the CEOs pitched in on the war effort

they made profit sacrifices to help save the nation

NATION over corporation

they were raised thinking of these entities as patriotic and moral

they are not

and they refuse to realize what these people are now

15. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

16. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    I maintain that the reasonably well educated Trump boot-lickers are fully aware at a visceral level that emitting billions of tons of heat trapping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, year after year, decade after decade, is a really bad idea and certainly not sustainable.

The problem is, they are weak people with fragile egos who spent two decades getting themselves emotionally invested in climate denial; they simply cannot admit to obscure message board posters they have never met, that they were wrong.

The Denial Cabal also has an average age of about eighty four, so being self-centered and self-absorbed conservatives, they do not really give that much of a rat's ass about what will happen to American generations 50 years from now. Why should elderly Deniers, bound soon for the grave, spend their money to help people half a century from now?

As for the profit motive, addressing climate denial in any realistic sense means asking our Corporate Overlords to leave trillions of barrels of undeveloped petroleum in the ground, and never burn it. That is asking these oligarchs to simply walk away from trillions of dollars in profit. I really can't think of any time in human history were environmental sustainability took precedence over trillions of bucks in profit. But I am ever hopeful this might be the one case it actually transpires, because climate change has the reasonable potential to be an existential threat to the earth's ecology, agriculture, and the global economy.

17. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (11-12-2019)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (11-12-2019), ThatOwlWoman (11-12-2019)

19. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    A good insight

My theory is that, at a philosophical level, cons are slaves to fundementalist Protestantism thus being more concerned with personal salvation, and not the worldly concerns of reason, inductive inquiry, and scholarship

More bluntly , to most conservatives quantum mechanics might as well be black magic!
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

Cypress (11-12-2019), ThatOwlWoman (11-12-2019)

21. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    I've seen this chart before. It's astounding, isn't it?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (11-12-2019)

23. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,740 Times in 14,334 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

I've seen this chart before. It's astounding, isn't it?
    They lumped all Jewish together, which really skews the data. The ultra religious (hasidic) Jews stop studying the three Rs after grammar school, and opt for studying Torah.

As such, there are tens of thousands of illiterate Jews that are lumped in with educated Jews.

We have a large contingent here in the summer. I tried to explain what an apostrophe is to one of them this summer. I might as well speak Mandarin to them.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

25. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

They lumped all Jewish together, which really skews the data. The ultra religious (hasidic) Jews stop studying the three Rs after grammar school, and opt for studying Torah.

As such, there are tens of thousands of illiterate Jews that are lumped in with educated Jews.

We have a large contingent here in the summer. I tried to explain what an apostrophe is to one of them this summer. I might as well speak Mandarin to them.
    A good example of how fundie-anything is detrimental to the human brain. You can really see that down at the bottom of the chart.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Althea (11-12-2019)

27. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,740 Times in 14,334 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

A good example of how fundie-anything is detrimental to the human brain. You can really see that down at the bottom of the chart.
    Exactly. I was going to make that connection.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

29. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Exactly. I was going to make that connection.
    Thanks for the information on the Fundie Jewish community. How numerous are they?

30. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My informed guess is that the hasidic tradition is a exceedingly small portion of American Judaism.

Most religions have various sects and splinter groups. This poll obviously cannot account for all the splinter groups, and has to resort to some form of lumping together.

The poll rings true to me, at least based on life experience -- American Jews, to me, seem to generally hold books, literature, higher education in the utmost esteem.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (11-12-2019), ThatOwlWoman (11-12-2019)