Thread: Confederate Monuments and White Victimhood

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Confederate Monuments and White Victimhood

I think that when white Confederate sympathizers demand that we honor their dead, they ignobly play the victims twice over. First, in proclaiming as virtuous their ancestors' sacrifice to a Lost Cause. And again when demanding that we honor such shameful deeds.

I think Confederate monuments should be removed from public spaces. I think their cheap, bronze and zinc casts should be melted down, their marble bases ground into dust. I do not think monuments to soldiers who fought and died to preserve white supremacy belong in front of our community courthouses, public squares or public universities. To be sure, if a museum wishes to house them, then let those museums have them

There are those who believe that the men these monuments honor were just men of their time, and should be judged against the values of their era and not ours. They must also believe that the nearly four million enslaved men, women and children either had no values, or shared the values of their enslavers.

https://www.jacksonfreepress.com/new...te-victimhood/
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

Cypress (11-12-2019), midcan5 (11-12-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Guano has been blackballed!!

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    I think that when white Confederate sympathizers demand that we honor their dead, they ignobly play the victims twice over. First, in proclaiming as virtuous their ancestors' sacrifice to a Lost Cause. And again when demanding that we honor such shameful deeds.

I think Confederate monuments should be removed from public spaces. I think their cheap, bronze and zinc casts should be melted down, their marble bases ground into dust. I do not think monuments to soldiers who fought and died to preserve white supremacy belong in front of our community courthouses, public squares or public universities. To be sure, if a museum wishes to house them, then let those museums have them

There are those who believe that the men these monuments honor were just men of their time, and should be judged against the values of their era and not ours. They must also believe that the nearly four million enslaved men, women and children either had no values, or shared the values of their enslavers.

Sounds like James Thomas is trying to make himself out to be a victim. The snowflake gets his feelings hurt when he sees things he doesn't like.

It's hard to tell what's worse, his meaningless opinion or the meaningless subject he teaches.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post

In more ways than one.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

It is rather astounding that we still have apologists / excusers for slavery in America? A nation founded on the enlightenment concept of reason and our preamble that all men are created equal is lost in our current tribal groupthink. Are we as a nation getting dumber, less charitable and less American? Republicans today wouldn't know what to do with a Lincoln as they kowtow to charlatan who bribes other nations for dirt on a fellow American. Stuff below is for the interested readers still out there.

------------

"Her conclusion is that the Americans who fought the Civil War overwhelmingly thought they were fighting about slavery, and that we should take their word for it."

AmericanHeritage.com / Why the Civil War Was Fought, Really

"Benjamin Franklin, in a 1773 letter to Dean Woodward, confirmed that whenever the Americans had attempted to end slavery, the British government had indeed thwarted those attempts. Franklin explained that . . . . a disposition to abolish slavery prevails in North America, that many of Pennsylvanians have set their slaves at liberty, and that even the Virginia Assembly have petitioned the King for permission to make a law for preventing the importation of more into that colony. This request, however, will probably not be granted as their former laws of that kind have always been repealed. "

WallBuilders - Issues and Articles - The Founding Fathers and Slavery

Southern arguments for and against: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...st.html?cat=37

Agrument v Lincoln's position

http://apollo3.com/~jameso/secession.html

Does the constitution allow secession http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dorf/20041124.html

AmericanHeritage.com / How the North Lost the Civil War
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

7. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (11-12-2019)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    maybe if your spawners weren't alcoholics
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,525 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post

Did it ever occur to you that the vast majority of men who fought in the Confederate army never owned even one slave. This is an excellent article on why common non slave owners fought.
    Churches were the center of social and intellectual life in the south. That was where people congregated, where they learned about the world and their place in it, and where they received moral guidance. The clergy comprised the community’s cultural leaders and educators and carried tremendous influence with slaveholders and non-slaveholders alike. What were Southern pastors, preachers, and religious leaders telling their flock?
    Southern clergy defended the morality of slavery through an elaborate scriptural defense built on the infallibility of the Bible, which they held up as the universal and objective standard for moral issues. Religious messages from pulpit and from a growing religious press accounted in large part for the extreme, uncompromising, ideological atmosphere of the time.
    https://www.battlefields.org/learn/a...herners-fought

10. #8 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    It is rather astounding that we still have apologists / excusers for slavery in America? A nation founded on the enlightenment concept of reason and our preamble that all men are created equal is lost in our current tribal groupthink. Are we as a nation getting dumber, less charitable and less American? Republicans today wouldn't know what to do with a Lincoln as they kowtow to charlatan who bribes other nations for dirt on a fellow American. Stuff below is for the interested readers still out there.

------------

"Her conclusion is that the Americans who fought the Civil War overwhelmingly thought they were fighting about slavery, and that we should take their word for it."

AmericanHeritage.com / Why the Civil War Was Fought, Really

"Benjamin Franklin, in a 1773 letter to Dean Woodward, confirmed that whenever the Americans had attempted to end slavery, the British government had indeed thwarted those attempts. Franklin explained that . . . . a disposition to abolish slavery prevails in North America, that many of Pennsylvanians have set their slaves at liberty, and that even the Virginia Assembly have petitioned the King for permission to make a law for preventing the importation of more into that colony. This request, however, will probably not be granted as their former laws of that kind have always been repealed. "

WallBuilders - Issues and Articles - The Founding Fathers and Slavery

Southern arguments for and against: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...st.html?cat=37

Agrument v Lincoln's position

http://apollo3.com/~jameso/secession.html

Does the constitution allow secession http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dorf/20041124.html

AmericanHeritage.com / How the North Lost the Civil War
    Who is excusing slavery?
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,602 Times in 9,274 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle-Eye View Post
    Did it ever occur to you that the vast majority of men who fought in the Confederate army never owned even one slave. This is an excellent article on why common non slave owners fought.
    They got conned by the rich landowners,poor damned fools,got conned into treason
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

AM I, I AM's,AM I.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MASON View Post
    They got conned by the rich landowners,poor damned fools,got conned into treason
    Yep! So to show our benevolence toward victims we should tear down all the monuments to the poor fools who were conned.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

Even in the German SS, let alone the German Army, there were lots of soldiers who never murdered a single Jew. The mugs are easily brainwashed, which is why you are ruled by a senile clown, obviously. We have the same sort of crap over here with Brexit. The question is whether Germany should put up statues to Extermination Camp commanders and such. You think they should?

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yep! So to show our benevolence toward victims we should tear down all the monuments to the poor fools who were conned.
    All monuments on public grounds have to come down.Private property,museums,battle fields fine
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Penderyn View Post
    Even in the German SS, let alone the German Army, there were lots of soldiers who never murdered a single Jew. The mugs are easily brainwashed, which is why you are ruled by a senile clown, obviously. We have the same sort of crap over here with Brexit. The question is whether Germany should put up statues to Extermination Camp commanders and such. You think they should?
    th (3).jpeg
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MASON View Post
    All monuments on public grounds have to come down.Private property,museums,battle fields fine
    So your saying all monuments on public property should be destroyed! GOT IT!