Thread: How is OSU number one?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,417 Times in 7,536 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    We did have him!! But our Rhodes Scholar AD Pat Haden decided he would rather hire the drunk/druggie Steve Sarkesian instead.
    I know. Everybody underestimated him. Even LSU didn't want him but the players begged the administration to keep him on after firing Les Miles. But I think most know that.
    He's definitely in the right place. He speaks Cajun French to h.s. recruits' parents that are from the bayou.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

cawacko (11-07-2019)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,778 Times in 3,065 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    This farce ends Saturday after LSU thumps Bama
    I sure hope so! I'm sick of Bama and OSU...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gfm7175 For This Post:

Mason Michaels (11-07-2019)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    They played a decent team in Wisconsin (not sure what happened to Wisconsin in that Illinois game though)... and the Buckeyes have to face Penn State and Michigan at the end of the year (Michigan is overrated though).

Ohio State is for real, although I'd personally keep them at #3 until they get to the Penn State game and beyond...
    You just said it yourself,they have faced one decent team!
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,778 Times in 3,065 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Margot Frank View Post
    You just said it yourself,they have faced one decent team!
    Yup. And they have completely annihilated every single mediocre team they have faced, as they should. They are consistently playing very good football. They will get a top-tier test in Penn State, have to handle the Big 10 Championship, and then they're right there with the top dogs. They are a great team, regardless. I do agree that they shouldn't be #1 at the moment though. They need to beat Penn State first to even be considered the best, then that will all get sorted out in the Playoff.

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    Yup. And they have completely annihilated every single mediocre team they have faced, as they should. They are consistently playing very good football. They will get a top-tier test in Penn State, have to handle the Big 10 Championship, and then they're right there with the top dogs. They are a great team, regardless. I do agree that they shouldn't be #1 at the moment though. They need to beat Penn State first to even be considered the best, then that will all get sorted out in the Playoff.
    I agree with your post.
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Except that Clemson started off the season #1, hasn't lost, and are currently #5.
    But you know they will be in the top four in the end, all they got to do is take care of business while those in front of them play each other

In effect, you validated my point, if the same Clemson team had started out in the polls as say number twelve, even if undefeated they would never make the four team playoff, no team would

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Do you think there will be any highly rated undefeated teams not in the top 4?
    Perhaps, but only if they started out in the top seven or eight, hypothetically, if say a Boston College some how went undefeated, won the ACC, they wouldn't be in the top four at the end of the year because they didn't start out in the top twenty from the offset

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    But you know they will be in the top four in the end, all they got to do is take care of business while those in front of them play each other

In effect, you validated my point, if the same Clemson team had started out in the polls as say number twelve, even if undefeated they would never make the four team playoff, no team would
    Except that there have never been four undefeated teams in the playoff. It's rare to have two. If you go undefeated during the regular season you will be in the Playoff regardless of where you are ranked pre-season (caveat: you are in a Power 5 conference). Additionally it's the Playoff rankings that came out last week that determine the playoffs. Pre-season rankings mean nothing to them.

Clemson dropped from #1 because even though they've been winning they haven't played particularly well. Teams move in the polls based on performance.

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Except that there have never been four undefeated teams in the playoff. It's rare to have two. If you go undefeated during the regular season you will be in the Playoff regardless of where you are ranked pre-season (caveat: you are in a Power 5 conference). Additionally it's the Playoff rankings that came out last week that determine the playoffs. Pre-season rankings mean nothing to them.

Clemson dropped from #1 because even though they've been winning they haven't played particularly well. Teams move in the polls based on performance.
    Don't think so, using the example I employed above, say a Boston College some how went undefeated, won the ACC, they wouldn't be in the top four at the end of the year because they didn't start out in the top twenty from the offset

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Don't think so, using the example I employed above, say a Boston College some how went undefeated, won the ACC, they wouldn't be in the top four at the end of the year because they didn't start out in the top twenty from the offset
    Can you offer an example of a Power 5 team that went undefeated and didn't make the playoff?

Ultimately only four teams make the Playoff. So in theory if there were 5 undefeated teams in a season one undefeated team would be left out. But there's no guarantee that would be the one ranked the lowest in the preseason.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Minister of Truth (11-07-2019)

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

The ACC is a Power 5 conference. This is not the same thing as UCF being ignored for being in too small of a conference.

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Perhaps, but only if they started out in the top seven or eight, hypothetically, if say a Boston College some how went undefeated, won the ACC, they wouldn't be in the top four at the end of the year because they didn't start out in the top twenty from the offset
    Why don't you deal in reality?

17. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,417 Times in 7,536 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Baylor was unranked preseason. I'd bet anything that if they win out, they're in.

18. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Baylor was unranked preseason. I'd bet anything that if they win out, they're in.
    Don't bet the farm on that
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?