Thread: Quid. Pro. Quo.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,611 Times in 7,328 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,966 Times in 1,782 Posts

Default Quid. Pro. Quo.

Top Trump ally admits tying Ukraine military aid to Biden investigation — and assumes it was illegal

A top ally of President Donald Trump admitted he told a Ukraine official that military aid was contingent on Kiev investigating Trump’s Democratic rival Joe Biden, testimony released Tuesday showed.

In some of the most damning evidence to the House impeachment inquiry of Trump yet, Gordon Sondland, the US ambassador to the European Union, said he told a senior Ukraine official that US military aid would likely not be released until Kiev made clear it would investigate Biden and his son’s ties to Ukraine energy firm Burisma.

Sondland admitted he laid out the allegedly illegal quid pro quo, which Trump has repeatedly denied, in a September 1 discussion with Andriy Yermak, a top advisor to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

He said it was the culmination of months of pressure placed on Kiev, primarily via Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani, to open “anti-corruption” investigations into the Bidens and into Trump’s unfounded belief that Ukraine assisted the Democrats in the 2016 election.

Sondland told Yermak “that resumption of US aid would not likely occur until Ukraine provided the anti-corruption statement that we had been discussing for weeks,” he told investigators.

Sondland, appointed ambassador by Trump after donating $1 million to his inauguration, was fully aware of the linkage made between the $391 million in US military aid and Ukraine helping Trump prepare to fight for reelection next year.

“I presumed that the aid suspension had become linked to the proposed anti-corruption statement” Zelensky was told to make regarding Biden and 2016 probes.

Sondland admitted to impeachment investigators that he understood the linkage was “improper.”

Asked if it was illegal, Sondland responded: “I’m not a lawyer, but I assume so.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/11/top...t-was-illegal/
    What kind of country have we become?

One in which federal prosecutors can take “evidence” before a “grand jury,”

and that grand jury can “vote to indict” a former president for 91 alleged “crimes”?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ZappasGuitar For This Post:

Cypress (11-06-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

I personally cannot imagine what it must be like to have to defend Trump's actions. It requires twisting one's self into pretzel logic, abandoning any sense of self-respect, disregarding the most minimal sense of ethics, and being prepared to move the goal posts at a moments notice.

In other words, it takes a Trump supporter. I literally do not know any other self-respecting human beings willing to stoop to that level of self abasement.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

LV426 (11-06-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,386 Times in 3,225 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 189 Times in 178 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZappasGuitar View Post
    Top Trump ally admits tying Ukraine military aid to Biden investigation — and assumes it was illegal

A top ally of President Donald Trump admitted he told a Ukraine official that military aid was contingent on Kiev investigating Trump’s Democratic rival Joe Biden, testimony released Tuesday showed.

In some of the most damning evidence to the House impeachment inquiry of Trump yet, Gordon Sondland, the US ambassador to the European Union, said he told a senior Ukraine official that US military aid would likely not be released until Kiev made clear it would investigate Biden and his son’s ties to Ukraine energy firm Burisma.

Sondland admitted he laid out the allegedly illegal quid pro quo, which Trump has repeatedly denied, in a September 1 discussion with Andriy Yermak, a top advisor to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

He said it was the culmination of months of pressure placed on Kiev, primarily via Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani, to open “anti-corruption” investigations into the Bidens and into Trump’s unfounded belief that Ukraine assisted the Democrats in the 2016 election.

Sondland told Yermak “that resumption of US aid would not likely occur until Ukraine provided the anti-corruption statement that we had been discussing for weeks,” he told investigators.

Sondland, appointed ambassador by Trump after donating $1 million to his inauguration, was fully aware of the linkage made between the $391 million in US military aid and Ukraine helping Trump prepare to fight for reelection next year.

“I presumed that the aid suspension had become linked to the proposed anti-corruption statement” Zelensky was told to make regarding Biden and 2016 probes.

Sondland admitted to impeachment investigators that he understood the linkage was “improper.”

Asked if it was illegal, Sondland responded: “I’m not a lawyer, but I assume so.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/11/top...t-was-illegal/
    I presume you are desperate, in my case, I am right!

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

400 million in Aid ... in return for 'an investigation of a Political Rival'.
    This isn't difficult.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

We have the transcript. No need for translators, interpreters and opinionists.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    We have the transcript. No need for translators, interpreters and opinionists.
    What transcript? You mean the transcripts of Sondland, McKinley, Volker, and Yovanovich?

Yeah, we sure do.

They don't paint a pretty picture for you.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist