Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Wall Cracking: Republican Senator Collins: "President Made A Big Mistake"

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Red Wall Cracking: Republican Senator Collins: "President Made A Big Mistake"

“I thought the president made a big mistake by asking China to get involved in investigating a political opponent,” Collins told Bangor Daily News. “It’s completely inappropriate.”

Who are (and were) the GOP holdouts on Lindsey Graham’s anti-impeachment bill?

" ... the original list of eight holdouts and hesitant senators was a conspicuous one. And they might be worth watching when it comes to whether Trump’s firewall against removal in the Senate starts to show cracks.

Here’s what we can say about them:

One was Romney, which perhaps isn’t surprising.
    Two were the GOP senators facing reelection in blue states: Collins and Cory Gardner of Colorado.
    The list included three of the four GOP senators who are retiring: Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, Mike Enzi of Wyoming and Johnny Isakson of Georgia (the last of whom is expected to resign at the end of the year and may not be around to vote in an impeachment trial).
    The other two were Murkowski, an occasional holdout in situations like these, and Rob Portman (Ohio), whose place on this list might be the most interesting.

Apart from Romney, many of these members have talked about impeachment in similar terms. They have raised concerns about Trump’s actions, while also tossing in some comments about how it’s too early to impeach or critiques of the Democrats’ process.

“It’s inappropriate for the president to be talking with foreign governments about investigating his political opponents, but impeachment would be a mistake,” Alexander said earlier this

month. He added that the 2020 election would be better at deciding. Alexander has also declined to comment further, noting that he would be a juror in a Senate impeachment trial.

Collins has offered similar comments about being a juror, but she was even more critical of Trump’s request for China to investigate the Bidens.

“I thought the president made a big mistake by asking China to get involved in investigating a political opponent,” Collins told Bangor Daily News. “It’s completely inappropriate.”

Isakson, notably, has encouraged the Senate to investigate these matters.

“I don’t know whether he crossed the lines or not, but I know we’ve got the weight in the intelligence committees to get to the bottom of it,” he said. “They have the subpoena power to do it, and they have the authority to do it.”

Gardner has raised perhaps the most process complaints of the eight, calling the impeachment inquiry a “partisan exercise,” but he too has perhaps cracked the door to the idea that Trump did something wrong.

“We are going to get into an investigation of this. I know you want me to say things before the investigation occurs,” he said recently. “This is about impeachment of the president of the United States.”

Of the eight, Murkowski’s comments might be the most biting. After acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney last week admitted military aid was held up of because Ukraine hadn’t investigated a conspiracy theory that Trump favors (Mulvaney later recanted), Murkowski offered a sharp comment.

“Yes, absolutely it’s a concern,” she said. “You don’t hold up foreign aid that we had previously appropriated for a political initiative. Period.”

The third retiree, Enzi, has basically only said one word about all of this — “No” — when asked if he had a comment.

Which brings us to Portman. There was a time when Trump actually hailed Portman’s comments about all of this. But two weeks ago, Portman bucked.

“The president should not have raised the Biden issue on that call, period. It’s not appropriate for a president to engage a foreign government in an investigation of a political opponent,” Portman said. He also raised concerns about Trump’s praise for a former Ukrainian prosecutor general and said that “it may have been inappropriate” for Trump to involve Attorney General William P. Barr in the matter. But he added: “I don’t view it as an impeachable offense.”

Portman seems like as good a barometer as any for where this is going. The retirees might have more political leeway, and the vulnerable senators have reason to keep their powder dry. Few have been as upfront about their reservations as Portman, though, and this is a guy who apparently played a significant role in getting Trump to eventually release that military aid to Ukraine, after weeks of holding it up."
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (10-31-2019)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (11-04-2019)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,686 Times in 17,937 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post

Who are (and were) the GOP holdouts on Lindsey Graham’s anti-impeachment bill?

" ... the original list of eight holdouts and hesitant senators was a conspicuous one. And they might be worth watching when it comes to whether Trump’s firewall against removal in the Senate starts to show cracks.

Here’s what we can say about them:

One was Romney, which perhaps isn’t surprising.
    Two were the GOP senators facing reelection in blue states: Collins and Cory Gardner of Colorado.
    The list included three of the four GOP senators who are retiring: Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, Mike Enzi of Wyoming and Johnny Isakson of Georgia (the last of whom is expected to resign at the end of the year and may not be around to vote in an impeachment trial).
    The other two were Murkowski, an occasional holdout in situations like these, and Rob Portman (Ohio), whose place on this list might be the most interesting.

Apart from Romney, many of these members have talked about impeachment in similar terms. They have raised concerns about Trump’s actions, while also tossing in some comments about how it’s too early to impeach or critiques of the Democrats’ process.

“It’s inappropriate for the president to be talking with foreign governments about investigating his political opponents, but impeachment would be a mistake,” Alexander said earlier this

month. He added that the 2020 election would be better at deciding. Alexander has also declined to comment further, noting that he would be a juror in a Senate impeachment trial.

Collins has offered similar comments about being a juror, but she was even more critical of Trump’s request for China to investigate the Bidens.

Isakson, notably, has encouraged the Senate to investigate these matters.

“I don’t know whether he crossed the lines or not, but I know we’ve got the weight in the intelligence committees to get to the bottom of it,” he said. “They have the subpoena power to do it, and they have the authority to do it.”

Gardner has raised perhaps the most process complaints of the eight, calling the impeachment inquiry a “partisan exercise,” but he too has perhaps cracked the door to the idea that Trump did something wrong.

“We are going to get into an investigation of this. I know you want me to say things before the investigation occurs,” he said recently. “This is about impeachment of the president of the United States.”

Of the eight, Murkowski’s comments might be the most biting. After acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney last week admitted military aid was held up of because Ukraine hadn’t investigated a conspiracy theory that Trump favors (Mulvaney later recanted), Murkowski offered a sharp comment.

“Yes, absolutely it’s a concern,” she said. “You don’t hold up foreign aid that we had previously appropriated for a political initiative. Period.”

The third retiree, Enzi, has basically only said one word about all of this — “No” — when asked if he had a comment.

Which brings us to Portman. There was a time when Trump actually hailed Portman’s comments about all of this. But two weeks ago, Portman bucked.

“The president should not have raised the Biden issue on that call, period. It’s not appropriate for a president to engage a foreign government in an investigation of a political opponent,” Portman said. He also raised concerns about Trump’s praise for a former Ukrainian prosecutor general and said that “it may have been inappropriate” for Trump to involve Attorney General William P. Barr in the matter. But he added: “I don’t view it as an impeachable offense.”

Portman seems like as good a barometer as any for where this is going. The retirees might have more political leeway, and the vulnerable senators have reason to keep their powder dry. Few have been as upfront about their reservations as Portman, though, and this is a guy who apparently played a significant role in getting Trump to eventually release that military aid to Ukraine, after weeks of holding it up."
    The Senate requires 68 votes, Snowflake.

They are not there.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Earl For This Post:

Grokmaster (11-04-2019), Truth Detector (10-31-2019)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Red Wall Cracking: Republican Senator Collins: "President Made A Big Mistake"
    Susan Collins was never a part of the Republican Party. She is a RINO. The red wall resides in the Senate where Democrats will NEVER see the 20 votes they need.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Callinectes (10-31-2019), Earl (11-11-2019), Wolverine (11-04-2019)

8. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    The Senate requires 68 votes, Snowflake.

They are not there.
    Correct!
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

"red wall cracking"
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

Earl (11-11-2019), Truth Detector (10-31-2019)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Susan Collins was never a part of the Republican Party. She is a RINO. The red wall resides in the Senate where Democrats will NEVER see the 20 votes they need.
    If Susan Collins thought she could win as a Democrat, she would have already changed parties and called herself what she is.

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,714 Times in 27,344 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Lamar Alexander: “It’s inappropriate for the president to be talking with foreign governments about investigating his political opponents, but impeachment would be a mistake.”
    Lamar Alexander wanted Bill Clinton to resign from the presidency for lying about a bj with a consenting 24 year old woman.

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Lamar Alexander wanted Bill Clinton to resign from the presidency for lying.
    I fixed it for you.

If you claim Clinton's impeachment was about a blowjob, to say this farce is about anything other than you lefties still being mad about getting your asses kicked, you're a hypocrite.

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

Lamar Alexander wanted Bill Clinton to resign from the presidency for lying about a bj with a consenting 24 year old woman.
    she was actually 22 and just months out of college, and lucky for him she wasn't my daughter, I'd be cellmates with Hinckley

that being said I, like many republicans and democrats alike thought Bill Clinton was a lousy human being as evidenced by this, but it wasn't reason to impeach the president
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

Callinectes (10-31-2019)

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

He's retiring; so he is free to vote his conscious now.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,714 Times in 27,344 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Getin the ring View Post
    she was actually 22 and just months out of college, and lucky for him she wasn't my daughter, I'd be cellmates with Hinckley

that being said I, like many republicans and democrats alike thought Bill Clinton was a lousy human being as evidenced by this, but it wasn't reason to impeach the president
    I doubt you actually have a daughter or kids.

A 22 or 24 year old woman can have sex with whomever she likes, and its none of your damn business.

18. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

Earl (11-11-2019)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (11-04-2019)

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    If Susan Collins thought she could win as a Democrat, she would have already changed parties and called herself what she is.
    True that!

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

He was correct; it wasn't about the BJ. It was about lying under oath and obstruction you assclown.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Earl (11-11-2019), Wolverine (11-04-2019)

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Getin the ring View Post

I felt otherwise; BillyBob Clinton showed incredible poor judgment and should have been impeached for the admitted obstruction and lies under oath.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

25. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I doubt you actually have a daughter or kids.

A 22 or 24 year old woman can have sex with whomever she likes, and its none of your damn business.
    Yet you hypocritical morons on the left felt Trump should not be elected because of Stormy Daniels???? STFU you insufferable moron.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post: