1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Micawber,

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    “To the extent that they quietly harbor conscientious objections to what the president is doing — or, even more spectacularly, how he’s doing it — they have to weigh the calling of conscience against political considerations,” Galston added. “There’s a reason why ‘Profiles in Courage’ is a very short book. Courage is not the norm. It’s the exception.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

You have to dig deep to get to that one but that's a good observation.
    True, true, but equally as true is the fact that when a dam breaks and that first drop spurts through, all the rest of the waters surge quickly after it without a thought of remaining behind alone.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Me? It's a link to an article quoting Republicans feeling the moral pinch of knowing Trump is a criminal but wanting to keep their jobs.
    And universal support for Trump has been voiced, save Romney, enough so the lack of courage observation is fully founded.

Q. Why can't you accept Pence as Potus? If I'm willing to suffer that gut punch, why won't you? It would save whatever watered down scruples
    you have and you get an ideologue more in line with your supposed principles. At least Pence isn't a known adultering, sexual assaulting, boorish,
    clownish, mendacious nincompoop with a 24/7/365 unrelenting stain of scandal swirling around him.

I don't know how you people sleep nights pretending to be Americans and support a KNOWN criminal. You would have Obama's head in your hands
    if he was caught red handed on the phone saying exactly the words Trump the criminal said. FACT. You'd be beside yourselves with righteous rage just as we are now.
    Impeaching Trump is our ONLY recourse, and we are forced to do it in full knowledge YOUR cowards in the senate will support a KNOWN criminal. So
    we are going to MAKE them each admit they are traitors ON THE RECORD and let history judge them accordingly.
    Award winning post Sir.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

From the OP link:

"In hushed conversations over the past week, GOP senators lamented that the fast-expanding probe is fraying their party, which remains completely in Trump’s grip. They voiced exasperation at the expectation that they defend the president against the troublesome picture that has been painted, with neither convincing arguments from the White House nor confidence that something worse won’t soon be discovered.

“It feels like a horror movie,” said one veteran Republican senator, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to candidly describe the consensus.

The Republican Party’s strategy is being directed almost entirely by the frenzied impulses of Trump, who has exhibited fits of rage over the Democrats’ drive to remove him from office for abuse of power. "

This is exactly what I would expect to be going on.

The torment between the public facade which must be maintained and the private misgivings.

Senators, there is but one relief from this seemingly endless horror movie, one course of proper action. One way forward.

YOU MUST CONVICT AND BE DONE WITH IT FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS AND COUNTRY.

Come what may.

It is the right thing to do.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"McConnell, who has shared related concerns in private conversations with other senators, has been preparing for a possible Senate impeachment trial. And earlier this month he showed a dry PowerPoint presentation to Republican senators explaining how one might unfold. "

Right on.

Accepting the reality of it.

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Penderyn,

Quote Originally Posted by Penderyn View Post
    It is remarkable to me how none of the American Right seem able to argue. Immediately anyone offers points for discussion, the trumpers are immediately off into insult and racism. It must be incredibly boring to share a country with them - compared with them the brexiteers look almost intelligent, but I suppose that's also of dead slugs!
    I know it looks dismal but there are good people on the American right as well. Maybe the problem is there seems to be this unsaid pact among them that they never criticize their own. They know they are in the minority. They also seem to know their age is drawing to an end. There is a desperation.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Iolo/Penderyn (11-01-2019)

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

“To the extent that they quietly harbor conscientious objections to what the president is doing — or, even more spectacularly, how he’s doing it — they have to weigh the calling of conscience against political considerations,” Galston added. “There’s a reason why ‘Profiles in Courage’ is a very short book. Courage is not the norm. It’s the exception.”
    You have to dig deep to get to that one but that's a good observation.
    What a massive pile of hypothetical bile. This article is a desperate flail to insinuate that somehow, there is a lot of support for the Democratic Clown Show being put on by the biggest liar on the planet, shifty Schiff.

Where's the vote! Let's get this impeachment going if it is so OBVIOUS and there is this mountain of evidence of wrong doing by Trump!

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.