Thread: Evangelicals: You Need to Stop Believing In Stupid Things

1. #121 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    That's quite an ironic question coming from someone who doesn't know Jade yet viciously launched an uncalled-for personal attack on him merely for pointing out the meaning of the word "evangelical." Why do you have such animosity towards a fellow Xtian who you do not know? Rather than maybe enlightening him on what *you* think the word "evangelical" means, you said this "You're an idiot, always have been and always will be. Climb back under the (you know who's) skirt and go away. You're nothing but an irrelevant twit." Is that what your church teaches you to say to other ppl, especially a fellow Christian?

I willingly admit to having animosity towards anyone who wants to insert his/her religious beliefs into our government and public life. I don't want Muslim laws, I don't want Christian laws, I don't want Hindu laws. I want secular law only.
    Maybe you should ask him that same question. Why does he constantly scorn Evangelicals?

Your animosity is obvious. A number of our laws are based on Christian laws, "thou shalt not kill" for one. Should we change that? What would be your "secular" interpretation?
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

2. #122 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank you for illustrating how alleged Xtians on political boards use their religion. It's not a way of life that makes you (group you) a better person; it's a social club that makes you think you're better than others. You use the Bible as a brick, not as a guide to improving yourself and your relationship to God.
    He acts so angrily over it. People are going to mock your religion that is part of the faith. Whenever I hear people bleating out against my faith I just seek to inform and make sure they are using a fair basis. When people doubt your faith you should be able to make it even stronger. When you lash out in ways like that trying to defend your faith you just end up opening up fault lines in your faith. He should know I'm not attacking his faith but the actions many of the faithful display and need to check themselves on.

3. #123 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,593 Times in 4,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,203 Times in 1,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Isn't religion as a whole about believing stupid things?
    Any intelligent logical person sifts thru the mythology to get at the message and then takes it from there. If one follows the Ten Commandments and/or the teachings of Jesus, isn't at all anyone really needs? You don't even have to believe in a God to follow the golden rules and live a life of a decent humane person.
    BLUEXIT
    A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red

Dear Red-State Trump Voter,
    Let’s face it, guys: We’re done.

It is a tragedy that so much of the work that so many men and women toiled at for so long to make this a better country, and a better world, has been thrown away, leaving us all in such needless peril.

This is why our separation in all but name is necessary.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1409...mp-red-america

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cinnabar For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-22-2019), ThatOwlWoman (10-21-2019), Trumpet (10-21-2019)

5. #124 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,522 Times in 52,740 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Maybe you should ask him that same question. Why does he constantly scorn Evangelicals?

Your animosity is obvious. A number of our laws are based on Christian laws, "thou shalt not kill" for one. Should we change that? What would be your "secular" interpretation?
    "Based on" is one thing. As the prophet said "There is nothing new under the sun." All of our laws -- and religions as well -- are based on things that came before.

Jade did not personally attack you; he merely gave his opinion. You turned it into something personal.

There are a number of reasons why Evangelicals are not seen in a very positive light. For me the biggest reason is that many of them don't want to stop at merely ringing doorbells and bugging ppl to go to their church. They also want to turn this country into a "Christian America" by promoting their religion over all others, inserting their beliefs (think abortion, as a starter) into our very laws, teach their version of stuff (creationism) in our public school science classes, and so on. This goes hand-in-hand with discrimination against those they don't approve of -- gays, other faiths, atheists, single women having kids, etc. When told that they have to serve ppl they don't approve of, they bellow about persecution. Because having to bake a cake for a gay couple is exactly as horrible as being sent to the lions. *sigh*
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cinnabar (10-21-2019)

7. #125 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    He acts so angrily over it. People are going to mock your religion that is part of the faith. Whenever I hear people bleating out against my faith I just seek to inform and make sure they are using a fair basis. When people doubt your faith you should be able to make it even stronger. When you lash out in ways like that trying to defend your faith you just end up opening up fault lines in your faith. He should know I'm not attacking his faith but the actions many of the faithful display and need to check themselves on.
    Good points. If your faith is real and strong and true you don't give a shit what some anonymous Internet person says about it in general, or about you in person (which you did not do). The fundies who forbid their children from reading popular kids' books or watching popular programming on TV for fear that they won't be godly enough have that house built on sand.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-22-2019), Trumpet (10-21-2019)

9. #126 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Bullshit. You attack Evangelicals all the time. Take a long look at yourself for once. Hypocrite.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

TOP (10-21-2019)

11. #127 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
    Any intelligent logical person sifts thru the mythology to get at the message and then takes it from there. If one follows the Ten Commandments and/or the teachings of Jesus, isn't at all anyone really needs? You don't even have to believe in a God to follow the golden rules and live a life of a decent humane person.
    If you actually read all the Ten Commandments, most of them are pretty stupid. And the teachings of Jesus are way to pacifist, when they're even consistent at all.

But religion is more than just the philosophy, it's believing the mythology is literally real.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

Jack (10-21-2019)

13. #128 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"Based on" is one thing. As the prophet said "There is nothing new under the sun." All of our laws -- and religions as well -- are based on things that came before.

Jade did not personally attack you; he merely gave his opinion. You turned it into something personal.

There are a number of reasons why Evangelicals are not seen in a very positive light. For me the biggest reason is that many of them don't want to stop at merely ringing doorbells and bugging ppl to go to their church. They also want to turn this country into a "Christian America" by promoting their religion over all others, inserting their beliefs (think abortion, as a starter) into our very laws, teach their version of stuff (creationism) in our public school science classes, and so on. This goes hand-in-hand with discrimination against those they don't approve of -- gays, other faiths, atheists, single women having kids, etc. When told that they have to serve ppl they don't approve of, they bellow about persecution. Because having to bake a cake for a gay couple is exactly as horrible as being sent to the lions. *sigh*
    This coming from someone who supports (and cheered!) harassing a couple out of a restaurant because they didn't like their employer. Hypocrisy anyone?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

TOP (10-21-2019)

15. #129 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This coming from someone who supports (and cheered!) harassing a couple out of a restaurant because they didn't like their employer. Hypocrisy anyone?
    I see you prefer personal attacks and deflection today rather than thoughtful discussion. Have a nice evening.

16. #130 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,593 Times in 4,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,203 Times in 1,060 Posts

If you actually read all the Ten Commandments, most of them are pretty stupid. And the teachings of Jesus are way to pacifist, when they're even consistent at all.

But religion is more than just the philosophy, it's believing the mythology is literally real.
    IMO the Commandments are pretty basic rules of the road that were written for folks that needed it mapped out. I personally do not believe in a sky daddy so therefore the first three have no leverage with me and I was speaking rather generally. It was the humanity in the teachings of Christ (and I am not even convinced he actually existed) that I believe are worthwhile regardless of who wrote them.
    BLUEXIT
    A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red

Dear Red-State Trump Voter,
    Let’s face it, guys: We’re done.

It is a tragedy that so much of the work that so many men and women toiled at for so long to make this a better country, and a better world, has been thrown away, leaving us all in such needless peril.

This is why our separation in all but name is necessary.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1409...mp-red-america

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cinnabar For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-22-2019), ThatOwlWoman (10-21-2019), Trumpet (10-21-2019)

18. #131 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And that's the definition of Evangelism which is a very old term that I think might predate the Evangelicals all together. We had conquests of evangelization that were the Crusades, etc. Very dark times in Christianity's history. It seems to show exactly why they must call themselves by that name. Especially with the Southern Evangelicals we know here, they are way too involved in secularism for a follower of Christ's good. They are by no stretch going near the boundaries crossed in the past but I still see it way out of bounds and not in Character of a follower of Christ.

19. #132 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

I see you prefer personal attacks and deflection today rather than thoughtful discussion. Have a nice evening.
    What else is there went you're so disconnected.

20. #133 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I was looking back to the Catholic Church is a hate group discussion and I found something RB said. Hopefully, if I post it here he will reflect on what he said.

Yeah. It's sad they project their hatred of those of us with spiritual beliefs yet none of us post a hint of hatred toward them for their disbelief.

21. #134 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

I know right?.......you shall not murder.....wtf was he thinking!......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

22. #135 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

atheists who attack evangelicals need to stop believing in stupid things about evangelicals.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”