Thread: Evangelicals: You Need to Stop Believing In Stupid Things

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    Real Christianity is based on humanity, but the pervert right wing Christianity is use to indoctrinate the intellectually deficient individuals with right wing ideology, for the benefit of the money changers.
    I hate to have to agree with this, but you are right. Rather than a way of life, for many it's a super special club only for those personally invited, where you are taught that you are better than everyone else. The compassion taught by Christ is twisted into sneering pity tinged with scorn for those not of the one true faith. If you doubt that, just look at how the ppl on this board who bleat the loudest about their faith use it as a bludgeon rather than an example of a better way.

I've noticed in my many years that those who talk the loudest about possessing something -- their intelligence, their honesty, their money, their sexual prowess, their religion -- are the ones who don't have it at all.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cinnabar (10-21-2019), PoliTalker (10-21-2019), Trumpet (10-21-2019)

3. #107 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Evangelical comes from the term evangelize. Whenever I hear that term I bring to mind the crusaders. The way Evangelicals have handled things lately I'd halfway like to call it Machiavellian style Christianity.
    What do you know of Evangelicals? Have you attend our churches? Have you attended mine?
    NO! You haven't, and you never did. You, like others, make up your own pathetic interpretations when you have no knowledge whatsoever. You're an idiot, always have been and always will be. Climb back under the (you know who's) skirt and go away. You're nothing but an irrelevant twit.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

4. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post

Hearing it from someone who was deeply embedded in the Evangelical culture makes the condemnation of it even more powerful. He's also brilliant which is likely why he cut the phony bible thumpers loose. Everything he says is what we all already know.
    Isn't religion as a whole about believing stupid things?

5. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I hate to have to agree with this, but you are right. Rather than a way of life, for many it's a super special club only for those personally invited, where you are taught that you are better than everyone else. The compassion taught by Christ is twisted into sneering pity tinged with scorn for those not of the one true faith. If you doubt that, just look at how the ppl on this board who bleat the loudest about their faith use it as a bludgeon rather than an example of a better way.

I've noticed in my many years that those who talk the loudest about possessing something -- their intelligence, their honesty, their money, their sexual prowess, their religion -- are the ones who don't have it at all.
    It's also ironic that terms like compassion and humanity seem to have no meaning to these people, and yes ,all they're doing is blowing their horns.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (10-21-2019)

7. #110 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    You are dismissed. You can go out and play now.
    Thank you

8. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What do you know of Evangelicals? Have you attend our churches? Have you attended mine?
    NO! You haven't, and you never did. You, like others, make up your own pathetic interpretations when you have no knowledge whatsoever. You're an idiot, always have been and always will be. Climb back under the (you know who's) skirt and go away. You're nothing but an irrelevant twit.
    Thank you for illustrating how alleged Xtians on political boards use their religion. It's not a way of life that makes you (group you) a better person; it's a social club that makes you think you're better than others. You use the Bible as a brick, not as a guide to improving yourself and your relationship to God.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. #112 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's also ironic that terms like compassion and humanity seem to have no meaning to these people, and yes ,all they're doing is blowing their horns.
    Those words are seen by many on the right to be signs of weakness, not virtues.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Trumpet (10-21-2019)

11. #113 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Those words are seen by many on the right to be signs of weakness, not virtues.
    I agree

12. #114 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thank you for illustrating how alleged Xtians on political boards use their religion. It's not a way of life that makes you (group you) a better person; it's a social club that makes you think you're better than others. You use the Bible as a brick, not as a guide to improving yourself and your relationship to God.
    Using my religion for what?

You have no idea how I conduct myself in my daily life, don't try to tell me you do. I'm not perfect, never was and never will be.
    You still haven't answered my question. Why do you have such animosity toward those you do not know?
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

TOP (10-21-2019)

14. #115 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Yep. The end justifies the means is a popular meme among fanatics of all flavors. Just because you claim to represent the Lamb of God doesn't make you any less fanatic.

We were much less polarized when ppl kept their religious stuff and their politics to themselves.
    We have got to talk about politics. I am sorry if people are bothered by discussing big things that affect their lives and the world, but it is a social responsibility to keep oneself informed and politically engaged. The country cannot run on auto-pilot. This is a do-it-yourself country. We have to run it ourselves. If we shirk this responsibility there are very powerful figures ready and eager to take control and mold it into the country which benefits them. Far too much of that has already occurred. We have to make politics an every day discussion with as many people as possible involved. Apathy is the enemy of the people.

Trump got it totally wrong. The media is the friend of the people. The enemy is really apathy.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

15. #116 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello ThatOwlWoman,

We have got to talk about politics. I am sorry if people are bothered by discussing big things that affect their lives and the world, but it is a social responsibility to keep oneself informed and politically engaged. The country cannot run on auto-pilot. This is a do-it-yourself country. We have to run it ourselves. If we shirk this responsibility there are very powerful figures ready and eager to take control and mold it into the country which benefits them. Far too much of that has already occurred. We have to make politics an every day discussion with as many people as possible involved. Apathy is the enemy of the people.

Trump got it totally wrong. The media is the friend of the people. The enemy is really apathy.
    Go back to your "hate Trump" threads. You are nothing more than an annoyance here (and there as well).

16. #117 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,787 Times in 32,153 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IntellectuallyDeficientIndividual View Post
    Real Christianity is based on humanity, but the pervert right wing Christianity is use to indoctrinate the intellectually deficient individuals with right wing ideology, for the benefit of the money changers.
    show me on this doll how they indoctrinated you with right wing ideology for the benefit of money changers......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

17. #118 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Isn't religion as a whole about believing stupid things?
    nope, that's the Demmycrat Party......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

18. #119 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

wait, are we talking about lib'ruls now?........because it sure sounds like it......

19. #120 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You still haven't answered my question. Why do you have such animosity toward those you do not know?
    That's quite an ironic question coming from someone who doesn't know Jade yet viciously launched an uncalled-for personal attack on him merely for pointing out the meaning of the word "evangelical." Why do you have such animosity towards a fellow Xtian who you do not know? Rather than maybe enlightening him on what *you* think the word "evangelical" means, you said this "You're an idiot, always have been and always will be. Climb back under the (you know who's) skirt and go away. You're nothing but an irrelevant twit." Is that what your church teaches you to say to other ppl, especially a fellow Christian?

I willingly admit to having animosity towards anyone who wants to insert his/her religious beliefs into our government and public life. I don't want Muslim laws, I don't want Christian laws, I don't want Hindu laws. I want secular law only.