Page 23 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Evangelicals: You Need to Stop Believing In Stupid Things

1. #331 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 14 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I know that in theory they shouldn't fear what happens after death... yet many still do. I was just making the point that most of us do NOT, even if we are not Xtians. However, that's the hook that some evangelists use to try to scare you to Jesus... the threat of burning in their hell if we don't convert.
    First of all I am not one to teach fire and brimstone. I can only share my personal assessments on the matter. IMO Heaven and Hell are very real places. The bible says broad is the gate that leads to destruction. And narrow is the gate which leads to eternal life. The old expression goes "Dont shoot the messenger" - But I do understand that warning of hell actually turns people off from the gospel. The only way to go about witnessing is through love of your fellow man. NOT fire and brimstone, even if that is in fact the truth.

EDIT: Many are Called and Few are Chosen... is another one to look up...
    dem·o·crat: one who subverts authority; unpleasant, destructive, hateful, vile, malicious, vicious, heinous, ugly, bad, nefarious, villainous, corrupt, malevolent, hideous, wicked, harm, pain, catastrophe, calamity, ill willed, a reviler; a defamer; a slanderer; a detractor; a carper; a calumniator; a muckraker; a vilifier; a disparager; a slanderer; a maligner; a detractor; a denigrator; a traducer; a vituperator; a castigator; a libeler; a defiler; a traitor; a debaser;

2. #332 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with coveting. Acting on what you're coveting is alright depending on the context.
    As for the other rules, let's say they're good rules in most situations. That's still only four.
    Coveting a new car you just saw advertised on TV is one thing. As you pointed out, our entire economy is based on covetousness. lol I think what the commandment refers to, however, is coveting something that already belongs to someone and that isn't for sale.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

3. #333 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iron-Merc View Post
    First of all I am not one to teach fire and brimstone. I can only share my personal assessments on the matter. IMO Heaven and Hell are very real places. The bible says broad is the gate that leads to destruction. And narrow is the gate which leads to eternal life. The old expression goes "Dont shoot the messenger" - But I do understand that warning of hell actually turns people off from the gospel. The only way to go about witnessing is through love of your fellow man. NOT fire and brimstone, even if that is in fact the truth.

EDIT: Many are Called and Few are Chosen... is another one to look up...
    That's okay, thanks. My mother was a Sunday School teacher for many years; I've read the entire Bible more than once, and had to memorize a good deal of it as well. Like you say, she also believed that Christians weren't called upon to preach at other ppl, but to show a better way by the example of how they live their lives and treat others. Therefore I have a lot of difficulty believing that certain ppl truly are as righteously Christian as they claim by the way they comport themselves, esp. in venues like this.

What is your opinion on a fellow Christian calling one of them out when he/she is behaving in an unChrist-like manner? Would you do so, even if the person acting like a jerk has the same political POV as yourself?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Iolo/Penderyn (10-23-2019)

5. #334 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Exactly. We expect police officers, physicians, teachers, nurses, etc. to police their own; why shouldn't we expect the same from members of the country's largest religious faith? Or any religious faith? After all, we (mostly) realize that not all Muslims are jihadist terrorists and ppl often state that they want peaceful, non-fundie Muslims to call out the ones who are corrupting the faith. Christians should expect the same, right?

Oddly enough, we're called "haters" if we point out that a person who has claimed to be a Christian is not behaving like one, especially around here. It has a chilling effect on other Christians who don't want to be seen as racist, bigoted, hate-filled, foul-mouthed, etc. like some of the ones on this board, for example.

In your opinion are most Christians afraid to call out a fellow Xtian?
    It depends on the person. I'd say it's easier if things on the outside aren't chomping at the bit for it. For example, it's harder to call one out publicly to those whose minds seek to judge. If it's just a person to person thing it should be easier.

6. #335 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    7 of some kinds of animals.
    "The story of Noah may be part of the Abrahamic canon, but the legend of the Great Flood almost certainly has prebiblical origins, rooted in the ancient civilizations of Mesopotamia. The Sumerian Epic of Gilgamesh dates back nearly 5,000 years and is thought to be perhaps the oldest written tale on the planet.Apr 2, 2014
    'Noah': Flood Myths Are Far Older Than Bible | Time
    https://time.com › noah-christians-flood-aronofsky"

7. #336 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by iewitness View Post
    Strait is the gate and few there be that find it. Broad is the way to destruction and many there be that go in thereat. Pray that ye be found worthy to escape the things coming upon the earth. Friendship with the world is emnity with God. These things are brought to my remembrance. These pearls may be disgarded and trampled under foot of the faithless. The first commandment is to love God above any other.
    I was paraphrasing but the actual verse is here:

Matthew 7:13-14
    Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
    dem·o·crat: one who subverts authority; unpleasant, destructive, hateful, vile, malicious, vicious, heinous, ugly, bad, nefarious, villainous, corrupt, malevolent, hideous, wicked, harm, pain, catastrophe, calamity, ill willed, a reviler; a defamer; a slanderer; a detractor; a carper; a calumniator; a muckraker; a vilifier; a disparager; a slanderer; a maligner; a detractor; a denigrator; a traducer; a vituperator; a castigator; a libeler; a defiler; a traitor; a debaser;

8. #337 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 41 Times in 39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    this one is smarter than you.....
    https://zeoob.com/
    So this continuation of the Islamophobia pedophilia mentality super ego master plan is playing Klues Klucks duh Klans where really could care less for intellectually trite condescending arrogance of Evangelical Christiananality pedophilia's master race.

9. #338 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That's okay, thanks. My mother was a Sunday School teacher for many years; I've read the entire Bible more than once, and had to memorize a good deal of it as well. Like you say, she also believed that Christians weren't called upon to preach at other ppl, but to show a better way by the example of how they live their lives and treat others. Therefore I have a lot of difficulty believing that certain ppl truly are as righteously Christian as they claim by the way they comport themselves, esp. in venues like this.

What is your opinion on a fellow Christian calling one of them out when he/she is behaving in an unChrist-like manner? Would you do so, even if the person acting like a jerk has the same political POV as yourself?
    This is what the Bible tells us to do:

If your brother sins against you, go and confront him privately. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, regard him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.…

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Iron-Merc For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (10-23-2019)

11. #339 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Sorry to inform you that is an emasculated translation. The word "strait" is key to that passage and is removed in that translation. "Strait" is also "tribulation" . One word was the fall of Adamic man( thou shalt surely die/ thou shalt NOT surely die). It matters.
    And the KJV? Is this wrong as well? I do read KJV for the most part...

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
    14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

12. #340 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

See edited post, bro. Good enough for the USMC, good enough for all.
    The point I was illustrating is not many people will find the truth (and that it is a difficult road). Wikipedia sums it up well

Luz notes that it could imply that the route is a hard and difficult one to follow, as the sermon has implied the proper path is one of tribulation and suffering. Another view is that the proper way is so narrow that it is difficult to find, and requires effort and searching to find.
    The metaphor in this verse implies that the path of sin is an easy one to follow, and that one will do so without conscious effort not to. Davies and Allison note that the notion of vice being a far easier path than virtue is a common one to most religions. The verse seems clear that it is only a minority that will find and follow God's path. While pessimistic, this is in keeping with Jewish thought, which traditionally saw the pious as a beleaguered minority in a world of sinners.

13. #341 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,414 Times in 16,403 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello TOP,

Don't put words in my mouth.

I find that highly disrespectful.

I did not say what you just claimed about me, because it is not true the derogatory way you worded it.

My Signature PIP outlines the reasons people get placed on my Ignore List. And I think you are already well aware of my standards for mutual respect. I have made no secret of them but instead made them quite public so everybody understands. It is quite apparent for all here to see that I regularly talk to and enjoy the respect of many people with whom I disagree. It's all about the respect. Disagreement is to be expected. How that disagreement is handled is everything to me. I would advise you not to test me on this. Do not put words in my mouth again. I write my own posts, not you. The best advice would be to stick to the topic of discussion and don't EVER start talking about me, because I am not the subject, and you have a tendency to get too personal. That is not respectful.

Hopefully that totally clarifies how accepting I am.

If not, I know a way that should make it very easy to deal with.
    So I was spot on...thank you for the confirmation...RESPECT...indeed

14. #342 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Listen to yourself...in the quiet you might be surprised at what ...or who...you hear....

15. #343 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Listen to yourself...in the quiet you might be surprised at what ...or who...you hear....
    Usual mombo jombo bullshit!
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason Melchizedek For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (10-23-2019)

17. #344 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

“Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God.”

― Maya Angelou

18. #345 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Margot Frank View Post
    Usual mombo jombo bullshit!
    How racist of you. Why do you hate women of color?
    Every life matters

19. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

TOP (10-23-2019)