Thread: Evangelicals: You Need to Stop Believing In Stupid Things

1. #316 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle-Eye View Post
    How many threads have you started degrading Christians? None that I know of so you weren't one of the people I was referring to.
    I've never started a thread like that, thanks for noticing. I'm merely pointing out that when it comes to death, those of us who are non-Xtian don't fear it the way many Xtians think we should. Fear of what happens after death doesn't seem to me to be a very good reason to adhere to a particular religious belief.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

2. #317 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    What about bad parents? Should people with abusive parents honor them?
    No murdering, in most cases, sure. But what about the death penalty or war? What about self-defense?
    Is lying ever ok? What about lying to save someone's life?
    What's wrong with coveting? That's the whole basis of a free market.

No murdering or stealing are generally good rules for a society, but even those have exceptions.

They often force their beliefs on their kids. Is that ok? Even if they don't outright force religion, they're still setting a bad example.
    #whataboutism......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

3. #318 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't see anything wrong with coveting.
    you are not part of a correctly ordered society........
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

4. #319 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 14 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I've never started a thread like that, thanks for noticing. I'm merely pointing out that when it comes to death, those of us who are non-Xtian don't fear it the way many Xtians think we should. Fear of what happens after death doesn't seem to me to be a very good reason to adhere to a particular religious belief.
    Its not fear of what happens after death its fear of God in this life that is important. And of course, the ultimate Judge is God, so we should work our our salvation with fear and trembling.
    dem·o·crat: one who subverts authority; unpleasant, destructive, hateful, vile, malicious, vicious, heinous, ugly, bad, nefarious, villainous, corrupt, malevolent, hideous, wicked, harm, pain, catastrophe, calamity, ill willed, a reviler; a defamer; a slanderer; a detractor; a carper; a calumniator; a muckraker; a vilifier; a disparager; a slanderer; a maligner; a detractor; a denigrator; a traducer; a vituperator; a castigator; a libeler; a defiler; a traitor; a debaser;

5. #320 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iron-Merc View Post
    Its not fear of what happens after death its fear of God in this life that is important. And of course, the ultimate Judge is God, so we should work our our salvation with fear and trembling.
    Knock yourself out. I'm thankful to not have to live this one and only life in that manner.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

6. #321 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,654 Times in 4,435 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Virgin birth. Yes. Hard to believe.
    Resurrection. Pretty sure once you're dead for a few days ... you won't be coming back.
    Creation. From dirt?
    Ark. Two of every animal.
    God. Exactly WHERE is God?
    7 of some kinds of animals.

7. #322 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    #whataboutism......
    I see you still don't know what #whataboutism is. Ask someone to google it for you.

8. #323 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

A Christian shouldn't fear death or what happens after. The Christians that act God-fearing always confuse me. If people have a reason to fear God they may want to reflect on their life.

9. #324 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Then one replies to the offenders not all Christians.
    It's often difficult to distinguish that with the political involvement of certain Christian groups. It's nearly impossible on a political forum like this one. The thing good Christians need to do is distance themselves from those that misrepresent the faith to show people this isn't what we as a group stand for. That thing about the "Christian" tip giver that Owl posted is a great example of this. If more good Christians spoke out against this type of stuff we might not get all the scuff from people.

10. #325 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,519 Times in 11,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    It's often difficult to distinguish that with the political involvement of certain Christian groups. It's nearly impossible on a political forum like this one. The thing good Christians need to do is distance themselves from those that misrepresent the faith to show people this isn't what we as a group stand for. That thing about the "Christian" tip giver that Owl posted is a great example of this. If more good Christians spoke out against this type of stuff we might not get all the scuff from people.

11. #326 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

A Christian shouldn't fear death or what happens after. The Christians that act God-fearing always confuse me. If people have a reason to fear God they may want to reflect on their life.
    I know that in theory they shouldn't fear what happens after death... yet many still do. I was just making the point that most of us do NOT, even if we are not Xtians. However, that's the hook that some evangelists use to try to scare you to Jesus... the threat of burning in their hell if we don't convert.

12. #327 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,519 Times in 11,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fear of death is for the young. As we reach the twilight years we know that it is coming and it no longer scares us. I believe there is a heaven and God if I'm wrong I'll never know.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (10-22-2019)

14. #328 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Exactly. We expect police officers, physicians, teachers, nurses, etc. to police their own; why shouldn't we expect the same from members of the country's largest religious faith? Or any religious faith? After all, we (mostly) realize that not all Muslims are jihadist terrorists and ppl often state that they want peaceful, non-fundie Muslims to call out the ones who are corrupting the faith. Christians should expect the same, right?

Oddly enough, we're called "haters" if we point out that a person who has claimed to be a Christian is not behaving like one, especially around here. It has a chilling effect on other Christians who don't want to be seen as racist, bigoted, hate-filled, foul-mouthed, etc. like some of the ones on this board, for example.

In your opinion are most Christians afraid to call out a fellow Xtian?

15. #329 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Fear of death is for the young. As we reach the twilight years we know that it is coming and it no longer scares us. I believe there is a heaven and God if I'm wrong I'll never know.
    If that belief brings you comfort that's a good thing.

16. #330 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Ask someone to google it for you.
    not you......you struggle with abstract concepts......comes from trying to stack your own mistaken ideas into memes for nefarious purposes......