Page 21 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Evangelicals: You Need to Stop Believing In Stupid Things

1. #301 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,653 Times in 4,435 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Yes. Anything involving the Occult, Magic, Superstition.
    God, virgin birth, resurrection, creation, ark...Aren't these equally hard to believe from an objective viewpoint? They are just more orthodox than cults or magic.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-22-2019), ThatOwlWoman (10-22-2019)

3. #302 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello TOP,

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    So you aren't accepting of those who think differently than you do...unless they follow your "rules"...Interesting...
    So you
    Don't put words in my mouth.

I find that highly disrespectful.

I did not say what you just claimed about me, because it is not true the derogatory way you worded it.

My Signature PIP outlines the reasons people get placed on my Ignore List. And I think you are already well aware of my standards for mutual respect. I have made no secret of them but instead made them quite public so everybody understands. It is quite apparent for all here to see that I regularly talk to and enjoy the respect of many people with whom I disagree. It's all about the respect. Disagreement is to be expected. How that disagreement is handled is everything to me. I would advise you not to test me on this. Do not put words in my mouth again. I write my own posts, not you. The best advice would be to stick to the topic of discussion and don't EVER start talking about me, because I am not the subject, and you have a tendency to get too personal. That is not respectful.

Hopefully that totally clarifies how accepting I am.

If not, I know a way that should make it very easy to deal with.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (10-22-2019)

5. #303 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,519 Times in 11,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Because some are bent on pushing those views onto others and make people adapt to them. I get that vibe even being a Christian myself.
    Then one replies to the offenders not all Christians.

6. #304 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Jack,

Maybe it all depends on which 'crowd' you hang around with?
    I'm just sayin there are a lot of people in this country who are very interested in angels, fairies, witches, magic, and spells. Tarot cards, tea leaves, fortune tellers, horoscopes, etc. Any consideration of the motivations of Americans would be lacking if it did not consider this phenomenon.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #305 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Honor your parents, No murdering, adultery, stealing, lying or coveting.
    What about bad parents? Should people with abusive parents honor them?
    No murdering, in most cases, sure. But what about the death penalty or war? What about self-defense?
    Is lying ever ok? What about lying to save someone's life?
    What's wrong with coveting? That's the whole basis of a free market.

No murdering or stealing are generally good rules for a society, but even those have exceptions.

That's up to them as long as they don't try to force me into their beliefs.
    They often force their beliefs on their kids. Is that ok? Even if they don't outright force religion, they're still setting a bad example.

8. #306 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    God, virgin birth, resurrection, creation, ark...Aren't these equally hard to believe from an objective viewpoint? They are just more orthodox than cults or magic.
    Virgin birth. Yes. Hard to believe.
    Resurrection. Pretty sure once you're dead for a few days ... you won't be coming back.
    Creation. From dirt?
    Ark. Two of every animal.
    God. Exactly WHERE is God?

9. #307 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Interesting story.
    To be honest, I think it is genetic. Some people are just predisposed to Cultism. If RB were in the Middle East, he would be a fanatic supporter of Islam. (just my opinion)
    I agree in general. Those who admire a rigidly-structured society, the status quo, authoritarianism, and "strong men" tend to be conservatives, and often religious as well. In the 1770s in America they would have been staunch supporters of the Crown. They have convinced themselves that they believe in freedom, yet freedom is the opposite of what they really want... particularly for ppl not like themselves. If a group of intelligent, educated, accomplished men appeared and began agitating to change things around, they would be horrified at the thought. So let's hope Washington, Henry, Jefferson, Franklin, et al do not get resurrected.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

10. #308 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    It's kind of hard to be respectful of your beliefs when you're so disrespectful of what others choose to believe here. Yet, we are....
    In the above post you say everyone is free to believe what they like...yet the majority of your posts say otherwise....Hmmm...am i missing something?
    Yes, of course you are. Did he put you down for your beliefs, or me, or someone else? Sorry, but explaining why you don't believe what Toxic or CFM or Pastor Schmuckleberger or Iman Ahmed believes does not make you "disrespectful." I do recall you, on the other hand, mocking what I believe as well as mocking the non-Xtian beliefs of others both here and on Amazon. Trying to label someone else as a bigot doesn't change the fact that YOU are one. You can wish all you want for everyone else to be like you, but thankfully that will never happen. Praise Krom! lol
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

11. #309 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Name the Ten Commandments that make for a sensible guide for interaction.
    And adults shouldn't have imaginary friends.
    Don't murder, don't lie about other people, don't screw around with someone else's spouse, don't steal someone else's stuff, and keep your eyes off their spouse/stuff.

Nothing wrong with those, eh? And no imaginary sky buddies required, just common sense and ethics.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

domer76 (10-23-2019)

13. #310 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Don't murder, don't lie about other people, don't screw around with someone else's spouse, don't steal someone else's stuff, and keep your eyes off their spouse/stuff.

Nothing wrong with those, eh? And no imaginary sky buddies required, just common sense and ethics.
    I don't see anything wrong with coveting. Acting on what you're coveting is alright depending on the context.
    As for the other rules, let's say they're good rules in most situations. That's still only four.

14. #311 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    The danger is when the administration becomes the cult. To have a full arm of the government (and more) indoctrinating people into believing wrong things is very dangerous to our republic.
    We definitely have that going on presently, don't we?

15. #312 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle-Eye View Post
    These none believers must be scared to death that they might be wrong, why else would they make such an issue about others believing.
    I'm not scared at all. Most ppl approaching death are not, except for one thing. The only thing about death that concerns most of us is the process of getting that way. I don't want my last hours/days/weeks spent in intractable pain. Most of us, believers or not, feel that way. If someone thinks that they are going to heaven after they die and that gives them comfort, that's a wonderful thing. BTW, I am a hospice volunteer so have had opportunity to discuss the end of life with ppl from a lot of different backgrounds.

16. #313 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,519 Times in 11,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I'm not scared at all. Most ppl approaching death are not, except for one thing. The only thing about death that concerns most of us is the process of getting that way. I don't want my last hours/days/weeks spent in intractable pain. Most of us, believers or not, feel that way. If someone thinks that they are going to heaven after they die and that gives them comfort, that's a wonderful thing. BTW, I am a hospice volunteer so have had opportunity to discuss the end of life with ppl from a lot of different backgrounds.
    How many threads have you started degrading Christians? None that I know of so you weren't one of the people I was referring to.

17. #314 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's a good point. I don't see much difference in believing in werewolves and vampires and fairies and angels than believing any other mythical stories. As humans we have always had stories about gods of one sort or the other. They just change aspects/names over time. Just because currently some are followed instead of the old ones doesn't make them more valid.

18. #315 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

nah.....what's hard to believe is that atheists are rational.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”