Thread: Democratic Debate

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    free college just means people will go to avoid work ( in some cases) and get free subsidies

why in the hell should we pay for other kids babysitting? again dont have kids or acquire debt you can't afford
    Seriously? I am not for free college, but I manage to do it without calling college "babysitting" and assuming people go to avoid work.

The fact is people who graduate make 10s of thousands per year for life over those who don't. People who are babysat or slack off flunk out.

Man you are just a big ball of prejudices. I don't want to pay for others' college because I had to pay for mine, and repay a few student loans,
    and I did. Was the GI bill a bunch of baby losers avoiding work? 1/2 of everyone's dads went to college on the GI Bill and therefore families had
    nice homes, cars and braces for their kids and GOOD JOBS

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    And the ease of getting a student loan has caused college education costs to skyrocket at a rate 400% greater than the rate of inflation.
    exactly BD.. the feds are a cash cow that transfer insane amounts of money thru students to the universities.
    It leaves the kids with YUGE debts,and the colleges floating on seas of cash.

Start putting limits on grants,and the costs will come down.
    Or even put some regs on public universities and those that get fed money.

It's a bit more difficult to do, then just shoveling out boatloads of cash, but that is what is needed -cost controls

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Bigdog (10-16-2019), Stretch (10-16-2019), Truth Detector (10-16-2019)

4. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    They voted for Trump because of the racism. I wish everyone would just be honest about it.
    Bingo!

You win the internet today.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TTQ64 For This Post:

LV426 (10-16-2019), Micawber (10-16-2019)

6. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Seriously? I am not for free college, but I manage to do it without calling college "babysitting" and assuming people go to avoid work.

The fact is people who graduate make 10s of thousands per year for life over those who don't. People who are babysat or slack off flunk out.

Man you are just a big ball of prejudices.
    I was calling pre-K ( what can kids learn at 4? ) or free child care for all "babysitting". I was not referring to college
    except in the sense free universal college will inevitably lead to featherbedding .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Truth Detector (10-16-2019)

8. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Cypress, I'm for interest forgiveness, complete interest forgiveness might be justified, but they should at least pay back the principle, the amount of money the bank check to wrote the school.

9. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    Bingo!

You win the internet today.
    I think they liked his racism and his general assholeness too.
    Trump just said that all Europe drives on the wrong side of the road.

Fuck he is dumb.

10. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Man you are just a big ball of prejudices. I don't want to pay for others' college because I had to pay for mine, and repay a few student loans,
    and I did. Was the GI bill a bunch of baby losers avoiding work? 1/2 of everyone's dads went to college on the GI Bill and therefore families had
    They don't want to play for Blacks and Mexicans. They have been taught that Blacks and now Mexicans don't work or pay taxes.

11. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think they liked his racism and his general assholeness too.
    Trump just said that all Europe drives on the wrong side of the road.

Fuck he is dumb.
    Oh absolutely! They love the tell it like it is, get judge kavanugh angry, put your foot down, aggressive, violent, behavior.

They have to let us know who's boss!...………. eye roll.

12. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,690 Times in 27,330 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    exactly. you don't want student debt work hard for a scholarship,or find a trade ( much better then liberal arts)
    free college just means people will go to avoid work ( in some cases) and get free subsidies

why in the hell should we pay for other kids babysitting? again dont have kids or acquire debt you can't afford
    You sound like someone who never graduated college.

Anyone who supposedly goes to college to avoid work inevitably flunks out. Doesn't finish. Gives up. I think if you flunk out on the taxpayer dime, there should be some kind of accountability.

Graduating college takes commitment, perseverance, tenacity, and plain old fashioned hard work.
    Anyone who graduates with a bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. have navigated unrelenting years of study and resolve, and is not somebody who was a layabout trying to avoid work.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (10-16-2019), PoliTalker (10-16-2019), reagansghost (10-16-2019)

14. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    You sound like someone who never went to college.

Anyone who supposedly goes to college to avoid work inevitably flunks out. Doesn't finish. Gives up. I think if you flunk out on the taxpayer dime, there should be some kind of accountability.

Graduating college takes commitment, perseverance, tenacity, and plain old fashioned hard work.
    Anyone who graduates with a bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. have navigated unrelenting years of study and resolve, and is not somebody who was a layabout trying to avoid work.
    He's talking about Black people.

In the mind of the racist white man...…...they want everything free.

15. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    You sound like someone who never graduated college.

that would definately help . But it won't happen. there will be cries of "you can't penalize students for failing"

16. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,690 Times in 27,330 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I agree with 90 percent of what I have seen you write.

In this case, I have to say that I was not born with the resentment gene.

If an 18 year old kid in the future pays less for college than me, I will not even think twice about it.

My philosophy is that as a citizen of this great nation, my obligation, in whatever small way I can, is to ensure future generations, my progeny have access to a better life than previous generations. That they should have as much opportunity as feasibly possible for self-improvement, economic justice, and an an improved quality of life.

If I had to pay a little more for college than them, that actually does not enter the equation in my mind at all.

I think knowing people who survived the GUGLAG, and who had to scrape out a living under the jack boots of communist dictators gave me some perspective I have always valued and never forgotten.

17. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

USFREEDOM911 (10-16-2019)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (10-16-2019)

19. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,424 Times in 10,050 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Getin the ring View Post
    I don't think I did, did I?
    maybe bigdog did
    Social security is as fair as it can possibly be.
    Everyone is on the same timeline, and the amount you get is based on the amount you paid in
    what might be unfair, in fact what IS unfair is the means at which people are allowed to get their hands on it early
    You're correct, it was BigDog. Apologies for getting you two confused.

So your last point...about the means at which people are allowed to get their hands on it early; I think that the eligibility age should be lowered to at least 55, and benefits should be expanded so that the monthly check is higher. I think you achieve that by removing the cap on taxable SS income. One of the main reasons for doing that would be to get older workers out of the workforce so that younger workers can move up the ladder and increase their wages. Labor elasticity is affected by retirement options...so we should be encouraging older workers to leave the labor market to create space for younger workers to advance. But older folks, half of whom don't have any retirement savings at all, have to work in order to draw a paycheck and health care. Expanding SS and implementing M4A solves those two major roadblocks to Gen X, Millennial, and Gen Z advancement; Boomers clinging to the workforce primarily for health care and retirement savings...if they can manage to save...the average amount a 55 year old has in their 401k is just $250K...you need at least a million saved to retire comfortably and not have to work at Walmart, and only half of all older workers even have retirement savings.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

20. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,424 Times in 10,050 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    If I'm right? ... White female life expectancy is far greater than Black male life expectancy.
    Right, so if that's the case, you're making an argument to expand Social Security benefits because that's the only way to address this systemic issue.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

21. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    free health care
    free pre-school
    free child care
    free college
    wealth tax
    wealth inequality tax
    student debt forgiveness

a few I forget
    What a clown show. I had to turn it off after the first 20 minutes because it was a re-run of the stupidity we saw in the first three debates.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.