Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: There Should Be No Columbus Day. The Man Was A Ruthless Villian And A Thief.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default There Should Be No Columbus Day. The Man Was A Ruthless Villian And A Thief.

There Should Be No Columbus Day. The Man Was A Ruthless Villian And A Thief.

"Let’s face it. He was not a good guy, but my role as a teacher was to facilitate discovery and allow students to form their own opinions. Sometimes it is hard to just do that and not inject our own views. I know that tide is changing. A teacher I discussed this with said his students still debate it. Some teach him as a straight up villain. Others choose to ignore him and focus on other historical figures like Amerigo Vespucci.

I understand any view of teaching Columbus in school. But, the reality is: we shouldn’t ignore him. His arrival in the Americas is important. This event started a tidal wave of change, exploration, conquest, and colonial domination that would change the world. Students must understand that. Debating teaches students the important skill of perspective: having to defend the actions of someone they consider a villain stretches students’ critical thinking.

I think the days of coloring pictures of ships, singing little songs, and doing other fun projects on Columbus Day are gone – as well they should be. Should there be a holiday? No. Let it just be a part of Fall Break. Should we ignore Columbus? Absolutely not. We have to teach the positive and negative parts of history no matter what."

I think teaching that he was a villian is correct.

Say No To Columbus Day
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 2 Users Groan At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (10-15-2019), USFREEDOM911 (10-14-2019)

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cinnabar (10-14-2019), Cypress (10-15-2019), Iolo/Penderyn (10-14-2019), reagansghost (10-14-2019), signalmankenneth (10-14-2019), ThatOwlWoman (10-14-2019), Trumpet (10-15-2019)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Would you have an Al Capone Day?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

USFREEDOM911 (10-14-2019)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

OMG look at the Dumbing Down of the Age of Exploration!

a tidal wave of change, exploration, conquest, and colonial domination
    PC madness

7. The Following User Groans At dukkha For This Awful Post:

Gonzomin (10-14-2019)

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

anonymoose (10-14-2019), Callinectes (10-15-2019), Earl (10-14-2019), Sailor (10-14-2019), Truth Detector (10-14-2019), USFREEDOM911 (10-14-2019)

9. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Teach the history and leave opinion out if it.
    Your opinion today has no re relevance to 1492.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

anonymoose (10-14-2019), Earl (10-14-2019), USFREEDOM911 (10-14-2019)

11. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post

"Let’s face it. He was not a good guy, but my role as a teacher was to facilitate discovery and allow students to form their own opinions. Sometimes it is hard to just do that and not inject our own views. I know that tide is changing. A teacher I discussed this with said his students still debate it. Some teach him as a straight up villain. Others choose to ignore him and focus on other historical figures like Amerigo Vespucci.

I understand any view of teaching Columbus in school. But, the reality is: we shouldn’t ignore him. His arrival in the Americas is important. This event started a tidal wave of change, exploration, conquest, and colonial domination that would change the world. Students must understand that. Debating teaches students the important skill of perspective: having to defend the actions of someone they consider a villain stretches students’ critical thinking.

I think the days of coloring pictures of ships, singing little songs, and doing other fun projects on Columbus Day are gone – as well they should be. Should there be a holiday? No. Let it just be a part of Fall Break. Should we ignore Columbus? Absolutely not. We have to teach the positive and negative parts of history no matter what."

Say No To Columbus Day
    Napoleon. Good Guy/Bad Guy?

12. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Say No To Columbus Day
    Typical anti-white propaganda.

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 948 Times in 862 Posts

He never landed in America. He discovered the Bahamas.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gonzomin For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-14-2019)

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    He never landed in America. He discovered the Bahamas.
    Hispanola.

Christopher Columbus renamed the island Española (Hispaniola) meaning “little Spain.” On December 5, 1492, Columbus anchored off the northern shoreline of Haiti, near modern Cap-Haïtien

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-14-2019), Truth Detector (10-14-2019)

17. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

"I don't WANT to celebrate Columbus"
    "you can't MAKE me"

triggered.jpg

you bunch of whiny little bitches, good god man grow some balls
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

Callinectes (10-15-2019), Truth Detector (10-14-2019), USFREEDOM911 (10-14-2019)

19. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Columbus was scum

why not have a Night Stalker Day too

20. The Following User Says Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

PoliTalker (10-14-2019)

21. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    Columbus was scum

why not have a Night Stalker Day too
    tin foil.jpg
    yea, night stalker and Columbus, same thing

dear God man do you ever have a coherent thought in that little pin head of yours
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

23. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Such a hero:

"Following his first voyage, Columbus was appointed Viceroy and Governor of the Indies under the terms of the Capitulations of Santa Fe. In practice, this primarily entailed the administration of the colonies in the island of Hispaniola, whose capital was established in Santo Domingo. By the end of his third voyage, Columbus was physically and mentally exhausted, his body wracked by arthritis and his eyes by ophthalmia. In October 1499, he sent two ships to Spain, asking the Court of Spain to appoint a royal commissioner to help him govern.[citation needed]

By this time, accusations of tyranny and incompetence on the part of Columbus had also reached the Court. Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand responded by removing Columbus from power and replacing him with Francisco de Bobadilla, a member of the Order of Calatrava. Bobadilla, who ruled as governor from 1500 until his death in a storm in 1502, had also been tasked by the Court with investigating the accusations of brutality made against Columbus. Arriving in Santo Domingo while Columbus was away in the explorations of his third voyage, Bobadilla was immediately met with complaints about all three Columbus brothers: Christopher, Bartolomeo, and Diego. Bobadilla reported to Spain that Columbus regularly used torture and mutilation to govern Hispaniola. The 48-page report, found in 2006 in the national archive in the Spanish city of Simancas, contains testimonies from 23 people, including both enemies and supporters of Columbus, about the treatment of colonial subjects by Columbus and his brothers during his seven-year rule.[92]

According to the report, Columbus once punished a man found guilty of stealing corn by having his ears and nose cut off and then selling him into slavery. Testimony recorded in the report stated that Columbus congratulated his brother Bartolomeo on "defending the family" when the latter ordered a woman paraded naked through the streets and then had her tongue cut out for suggesting that Columbus was of lowly birth.[92] The document also describes how Columbus put down native unrest and revolt; he first ordered a brutal crackdown in which many natives were killed and then paraded their dismembered bodies through the streets in an attempt to discourage further rebellion.[93] "Columbus's government was characterised by a form of tyranny," Consuelo Varela, a Spanish historian who has seen the document, told journalists.[92] "Even those who loved him had to admit the atrocities that had taken place."[92] "

wiki

24. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

25. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hi Jack,

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Napoleon. Good Guy/Bad Guy?
    I don't know enough about him to have an opinion. All I know is he was ambitious, successful, a formidable enemy of Britain, and overestimated his army, which led to his defeat and death. If you'd like to fill in more details please share.

26. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

27. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Would you have an Al Capone Day?
    Hi Politalker,

Let's not forget that the Indigenous people who came to America all those millennia ago conquered and exterminated the Neanderthals.

That was tongue in cheek, of course, but on a more serious note...
    I find it objectionable to pass judgment upon people who lived hundreds of years ago based on the morality of modern times. It is truly unfair to historical figures.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sirthinksalot For This Post:

anonymoose (10-14-2019), Callinectes (10-15-2019), Darth Omar (10-14-2019)

29. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Celticguy,

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Teach the history and leave opinion out if it.
    Your opinion today has no re relevance to 1492.
    Well, that's the thing. The 'history' which was taught when I went to school was incorrect. And it seems to depend on which school one attends as to which 'history' is taught.

Schools should teach our best and latest understanding of history including recently discovered information which may be different from what was taught decades ago.

30. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post: