Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: There Should Be No Columbus Day. The Man Was A Ruthless Villian And A Thief.

1. #61 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,614 Times in 17,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    When will you be giving your home and land to the indigenous people, Snowflake?
    Polibabble doesn't care about American traditions. First it's monuments, now Columbus day. What's next? Thanksgiving? Veteran's Day? Independence Day?
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

Earl (10-15-2019)

3. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,670 Times in 17,928 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Polibabble doesn't care about American traditions. First it's monuments, now Columbus day. What's next? Thanksgiving? Veteran's Day? Independence Day?
    The US flag will be next. The flag and the National Anthem are already under attack.

The Taliban and ISIS destroyed statues, monuments and historical sites.

4. The Following User Groans At Earl For This Awful Post:

Cinnabar (10-15-2019)

5. #63 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,614 Times in 17,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

The US flag will be next. The flag and the National Anthem are already under attack.

They're already permitted to burn our flag without repercussions. They disgrace our National Anthem. Why do they hate our traditions?
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

6. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello StoneByStone,

I think he is being rightly portrayed from the sound of it. The recent discovery of the the report of his brutality confirms it.
    Most of those reports are bullshit. An infamous example is that when Columbus said he thought the Indians could be good servants of God, it was later translated as saying he thought the Indians could make good servants. Basically accusing him of wanting to enslave them.

7. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello StoneByStone,

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Most of those reports are bullshit. An infamous example is that when Columbus said he thought the Indians could be good servants of God, it was later translated as saying he thought the Indians could make good servants. Basically accusing him of wanting to enslave them.
    OK, so then you don't believe any of this:

"The evidence has been found in a previously lost report drawn up at the time for the Spanish monarchs as they became worried by growing rumours of Columbus' barbarity and avarice. The document was written by a member of an order of religious knights, the Order of Calatrava, who had been asked to investigate the allegations against Columbus by Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand, who ruled Spain together at the time.

The report, by Francisco de Bobadilla, lay undiscovered in a state archive in the Spanish city of Valladolid until last year. Bobadilla had already been named governor of the Indies, replacing Columbus, at the time of the report.

The 48-page document gathers evidence from Columbus' enemies and supporters of his seven-year reign. Ms Varela, one of the two Spanish historians to have studied the document, described life in the colony as "horrifying and hard".

Bobadilla collected the testimonies of 23 people who had seen or heard about the treatment meted out by Columbus and his brothers. "Even those who loved him had to admit the atrocities that had taken place," Ms Varela said.

Columbus and his brothers were forced to travel back to Spain. Columbus was in chains but, although he never recovered his titles, he was set free and allowed to sail back to the Caribbean.

"Columbus and his brothers come across in the text as tyrants," Ms Varela said. "Now one can understand why he was sacked and we can see that there were good reasons for doing so.

"The monarchs wanted someone who did not give them problems. Columbus did not solve problems, he created them.""

Lost document reveals Columbus as tyrant of the Caribbean

Why not?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

USFREEDOM911 (10-15-2019)

9. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello StoneByStone,

OK, so then you don't believe any of this:

"The evidence has been found in a previously lost report drawn up at the time for the Spanish monarchs as they became worried by growing rumours of Columbus' barbarity and avarice. The document was written by a member of an order of religious knights, the Order of Calatrava, who had been asked to investigate the allegations against Columbus by Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand, who ruled Spain together at the time.

The report, by Francisco de Bobadilla, lay undiscovered in a state archive in the Spanish city of Valladolid until last year. Bobadilla had already been named governor of the Indies, replacing Columbus, at the time of the report.

The 48-page document gathers evidence from Columbus' enemies and supporters of his seven-year reign. Ms Varela, one of the two Spanish historians to have studied the document, described life in the colony as "horrifying and hard".

Bobadilla collected the testimonies of 23 people who had seen or heard about the treatment meted out by Columbus and his brothers. "Even those who loved him had to admit the atrocities that had taken place," Ms Varela said.

Columbus and his brothers were forced to travel back to Spain. Columbus was in chains but, although he never recovered his titles, he was set free and allowed to sail back to the Caribbean.

"Columbus and his brothers come across in the text as tyrants," Ms Varela said. "Now one can understand why he was sacked and we can see that there were good reasons for doing so.

"The monarchs wanted someone who did not give them problems. Columbus did not solve problems, he created them.""

Lost document reveals Columbus as tyrant of the Caribbean

Why not?
    Even if all of that was true, and I'm sure some of it is, he still wouldn't be much worse than the average explorer of the time. Just look at how barbaric American Indian society was before Europeans got there.
    I'm not saying Columbus was perfect. He was a product of his time, he wasn't AS bad as the (((media))) makes him out to be, and we celebrate him because he was an great and important figure in Western history. George Washington owned slaves, but so did a lot of people of his day, and it doesn't change the fact that he is an important figure in American history.

10. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,593 Times in 4,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,203 Times in 1,060 Posts

Your standard bearer is crapping on The Constitution so he is actually wiping his fat arse with the flag...in between humping it... so go whine elsewhere.
    BLUEXIT
    A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red

Dear Red-State Trump Voter,
    Let’s face it, guys: We’re done.

It is a tragedy that so much of the work that so many men and women toiled at for so long to make this a better country, and a better world, has been thrown away, leaving us all in such needless peril.

This is why our separation in all but name is necessary.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1409...mp-red-america

11. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
    Your standard bearer is crapping on The Constitution so he is actually wiping his fat arse with the flag...in between humping it... so go whine elsewhere.
    Where has he crapped on the Constitution. State the Article, Section, and Clause with supporting evidence.

12. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello StoneByStone,

Even if all of that was true, and I'm sure some of it is, he still wouldn't be much worse than the average explorer of the time. Just look at how barbaric American Indian society was before Europeans got there.
    I'm not saying Columbus was perfect. He was a product of his time, he wasn't AS bad as the (((media))) makes him out to be, and we celebrate him because he was an great and important figure in Western history. George Washington owned slaves, but so did a lot of people of his day, and it doesn't change the fact that he is an important figure in American history.
    No, that can't be. He was worse than the standard of the age.

It is not logical. If he was no worse than average, the King and Queen of Spain would not have ordered a report or slapped him in prison for a while before releasing him deposed of nobility.

Any interaction would have been wink-wink nod-nod carry on.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

14. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello StoneByStone,

No, that can't be. He was worse than the standard of the age.

It is not logical. If he was no worse than average, the King and Queen of Spain would not have ordered a report or slapped him in prison for a while before releasing him deposed of nobility.

Any interaction would have been wink-wink nod-nod carry on.
    Columbus was arrested because he did a bad job keeping order, not because he was violent.

15. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello StoneByStone,

Columbus was arrested because he did a bad job keeping order, not because he was violent.
    OK, and what you've got to back that up?

Because the report from the "member of an order of religious knights, the Order of Calatrava, who had been asked to investigate the allegations against Columbus by Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand, who ruled Spain together" carries a lot of persuasion for me.

16. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post: