Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: don't live in Texas

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Exiting Calfornia to compete for minimium wage jobs in Texas with poor health and public services and doomed to a life of mediocrity
    By definition you’re not middle class or even working class if you’re making minimum wage. Major corporations are moving headquarters from Cali to Texas, these aren’t minimum wage jobs they are creating.

Places like Dallas, Austin, Houston, Nashville, Charlotte, Atlanta etc. are growing like they are because they have excellent job growth/opportunities and an affordable cost of living.

You can knock it all you want but people vote with their feet and the results speak for themselves.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Truth Detector (10-14-2019)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,654 Times in 4,435 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Exiting Calfornia to compete for minimium wage jobs in Texas with poor health and public services and doomed to a life of mediocrity
    Many go to work in the Texas refineries at $80,000 per year which buys a much higher standard of living than in CA.

The "life of mediocrity" is worse in CA for minimum wage workers because of the high cost of housing and taxes which is why it has the nation's highest poverty rate (adjusted for cost of living) and among the highest inequality rates behind other high tax states like NY, D.C., and CT.

I guess high taxes does not produce less poverty and inequality.

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    By definition you’re not middle class or even working class if you’re making minimum wage. Major corporations are moving headquarters from Cali to Texas, these aren’t minimum wage jobs they are creating.

Places like Dallas, Austin, Houston, Nashville, Charlotte, Atlanta etc. are growing like they are because they have excellent job growth/opportunities and an affordable cost of living.

You can knock it all you want but people vote with their feet and the results speak for themselves.
    Of course I'm exaggerating, but the reason those company's are going to Texas is because they can pay less wages, middle class and up, than the same position would pay elsewhere. In addition, less benefits, less health coverage, and there still isn't getting around the life of mediocrity. There was a reason Amazon picked NYC, and a reason NYC turned them down

I remember when I lived in New York they used to say those people leaving were people that couldn't make it in New York and had to leave, just think Frank Sinatra in reverse

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Of course I'm exaggerating, but the reason those company's are going to Texas is because they can pay less wages, middle class and up, than the same position would pay elsewhere. In addition, less benefits, less health coverage, and there still isn't getting around the life of mediocrity. There was a reason Amazon picked NYC, and a reason NYC turned them down

I remember when I lived in New York they used to say those people leaving were people that couldn't make it in New York and had to leave, just think Frank Sinatra in reverse
    It’s a fact, not everyone has the skills to make low to high six figures in compensation. Not everyone can afford to live in SF, LA or New York.

There are also a lot of people who live around me who bought their homes 35+ years ago when California was far more affordable. No way many of these folks could afford to move here today. They just live off the appreciation of their property.

But you act like states being affordable to live is a bad thing. Like everywhere in the country should be as expensive as SF or NY. No way man.

And I’m not sure how you claim people living in Texas or elsewhere live a life of mediocrity. First off there is a lot of wealth in Texas. But that aside you’re basically saying unless you are a 1%er and living on the coast your life sucks. Really?

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    About 60,000 per year, but most are middle-working class and not poor.
    Pulling bull s*** out of your ass just means you're pulling b******* out of your ass

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    About 60,000 per year, but most are middle-working class and not poor.

you are a moron https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...-to-texas.html

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

It’s a fact, not everyone has the skills to make low to high six figures in compensation. Not everyone can afford to live in SF, LA or New York.

There are also a lot of people who live around me who bought their homes 35+ years ago when California was far more affordable. No way many of these folks could afford to move here today. They just live off the appreciation of their property.

But you act like states being affordable to live is a bad thing. Like everywhere in the country should be as expensive as SF or NY. No way man.

And I’m not sure how you claim people living in Texas or elsewhere live a life of mediocrity. First off there is a lot of wealth in Texas. But that aside you’re basically saying unless you are a 1%er and living on the coast your life sucks. Really?
    Hardly, I am not a 1%, but there is an inbetween, and affordable living is good, but the opportunity cost of having to move to a State like Texas ain't worth it, well, unless you like flat, heat, strip malls, chain stores, lounges, boulevards, and guns, just ain't my quality of life

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

We probably wouldn’t have the highest poverty rate in the country if was poor people who were leaving. You’re right about about who is, middle to working class folks.
    Maybe we need to build a second interior wall. People keep coming to Cali because it's better than the rest, just as the world keeps coming to the USA due to the same misperception?

Face it, California has, with its Hollywood media monopoly and culture /art export business has been for 100 years a brochure of fictionalized "the good life," and so too many people come here expecting that result, everyone from Oakies to farmers little daughters seeking the movie star dream only to end up waiting tables and turning tricks on casting couches.
    Last edited by Micawber; 10-14-2019 at 11:10 AM.

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hardly, I am not a 1%, but there is an inbetween, and affordable living is good, but the opportunity cost of having to move to a State like Texas ain't worth it, well, unless you like flat, heat, strip malls, chain stores, lounges, boulevards, and guns, just ain't my quality of life
    That’s your personal preference which is fine but not sure how you equate that to people living mediocre lives. You couldn’t pay me to live in the northeast. I lived in Boston for nine months and hated it. I hated the weather and the attitude of the people. But I’m not going to say others can’t enjoy living there or that they can’t live a good life if they do.

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Maybe we need to build a second interior wall. People keep coming to Cali because it's better than the rest, just as the world keeps coming to the USA due to the same misperception?

Face it, California has, with its Hollywood media monopoly and culture /art export business has been for 100 years a brochure of fictionalized "the good life," and so too many people come here expecting that result, everyone from Oakies to farmers little daughters seeking the movie star dream only to end up waiting tables and turning tricks on casting couches.
    “Go west young man” was the mantra right? California Dreamin said the Mamas and Papas.

People rightfully still want to come to chase their dreams be it Hollywood, Silicon Valley or whatever.

I said this before, my family moved from Dallas to Oakland in 1981. My father was a professor at SMU. We bought a home in Oakland for around $150K that was nothing special. Today it’s worth $2m. No way a professors family could move here today like we did at that time.

It’s a very different place today in that sense

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

People are getting here as fast as they can!

But, people don't vote in elections- it is land that votes- and Texas has a lot of land!

Who ever had that brain fart and thought of the Electoral College, felt it was more important for the land to vote than the people!

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    People are getting here as fast as they can!

But, people don't vote in elections- it is land that votes- and Texas has a lot of land!

Who ever had that brain fart and thought of the Electoral College, felt it was more important for the land to vote than the people!
    I'll be honest, I have no idea what the EC has to do with this discussion.

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

I'll be honest, I have no idea what the EC has to do with this discussion.
    That is because you sharted your britches over what I said, instead of noticing that my response was to a comment by someone else- That had nothing to do with this discussion Wacko!

But, then again you don't call yourself a wacko for no reason!

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

On behalf of all the Trump deplorables, the following public service announcement:

The following users are unavailable to comment as they are in rehearsals for a choreograph endzone dance over the merciless murder of an unarmed black famale
    biologist, Tatiana, inside her mom's home by cop shooting her inside the house from the outside.

Русский агент
    (o,o)
    anatta
    anonymoose
    anonymous201
    Anthem
    Arminius
    AssHatZombie
    Bigdog
    BillyB
    blades
    Bobb
    BodyDouble
    BoomShaka
    Booyah!
    Boris The Animal
    Buck Tucker
    Callinectes Ocasio-Cortez
    Cancel 2018.1
    Cancel 2018.2
    Celticguy
    CFM
    chink
    CookieCrusher
    countryboy
    Darth Omar
    deadcatbounce
    Dropbear1
    dukkha
    Eagle-Eye
    Earl
    Emwu
    Enlightened One
    Evmetro
    Flash
    Getin the ring
    gfm7175
    Granule
    Grokmaster
    Grugore
    Guille
    Havana Moon
    Heff
    Heinecke
    hvilleherb
    I Love America
    iewitness
    Into the Night
    Irish
    Irish Exit
    Iron-Merc
    J Craft
    j-mac
    J.kennedy
    Jack
    jmotivator
    Legion
    liberalsAREracists
    Life is Golden
    Lord Yurt
    Loving91390
    MAGAt
    Magoo
    mak2
    Never forget Christchurch
    nolongertolerant
    NOVA
    OG Yurt
    philly rabbit
    PostmodernProphet
    PraiseKek
    Proud Boy
    Q-Tip
    QuidProJoe
    Ralph
    RB 60
    Red Crow
    Reverend_Hellh0und
    Rob Larrikin
    Robo
    Sailor
    saltydancin
    Silver Buzzard
    Sirthinksalot
    SmarterthanYou
    Southern Dad
    Southern Music
    Steven VanderMolen
    Stretch
    Superfreak
    Teflon Don
    Terri4Trump
    Text Drivers are Killers
    The Ugly Truth
    TheDanold
    TheDonald
    tinfoil
    Tomas Fabregas
    Tommatthews
    Truth Detector
    tsuke
    USFREEDOM911
    volsrock
    Waternark
    WinterBorn
    Wolverine
    Yoda
    Yurt
    zymurgy

We appreciate your indulgence.

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    don't live in Texas
    great idea for you, you wouldn't last 2 days in Texas with your mouth, they'd have you tied up behind a pick-up dusting someones road
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

Truth Detector (10-14-2019)