Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conservative ‘Legal Legend’ Rails Against Trump: ‘This Man Terrifies Me’

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,174 Times in 5,911 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 593 Times in 557 Posts

Default Conservative ‘Legal Legend’ Rails Against Trump: ‘This Man Terrifies Me’

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/charl...KE2-jXZy_RSmlo

A longtime leading conservative voice slammed President Donald Trump on Thursday as “ignorant and foul-mouthed,” and warned the nation is in a constitutional crisis.

Charles Fried, a constitutional law professor at Harvard University who was solicitor general to President Ronald Reagan, told MSNBC’s Chris Hayes how he fled Czechoslovakia when the Nazis took over and eventually settled in the United States.

“I’ve had a wonderful life here. I love it, as do my children and my grandchildren,” he said. “And this man terrifies me.”

Fried added:

[Trump] says that the Constitution said ― and he said this to a bunch of high school students ― ‘I can do whatever I want, that’s what Article II says.’ Well it doesn’t, any lawyer knows that, any lawyer except maybe [Attorney General] Bill Barr and Mr. Cipollone [White House counsel Pat Cipollone].
    “Our fidelity is to the law, and to the office,” Fried said. “Not to a man.”

Fried warned that Trump’s refusal to cooperate with Congress by blocking officials from testifying has placed the nation in a constitutional crisis.

“They are in contempt,” he said of officials who won’t testify. “Of course, [Trump] is in contempt.”

Hayes called Fried a “conservative legal legend” and asked what his fellow scholars on the right think of Trump.

“They are horrified,” Fried answered. “It is the very opposite of the great Republicans, like Ronald Reagan, like Dwight Eisenhower. Can you imagine Dwight Eisenhower speaking the way this man speaks? Or Lincoln? Or Teddy Roosevelt? This man is ignorant and foul-mouthed.”
    Republican Congressman Ken Buck:
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

evince (10-14-2019), Micawber (10-14-2019), Phantasmal (10-15-2019), reagansghost (10-13-2019), StoneByStone (10-13-2019), ThatOwlWoman (10-13-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldvoTrumpovich View Post

A longtime leading conservative voice slammed President Donald Trump on Thursday as “ignorant and foul-mouthed,” and warned the nation is in a constitutional crisis.

Charles Fried, a constitutional law professor at Harvard University who was solicitor general to President Ronald Reagan, told MSNBC’s Chris Hayes how he fled Czechoslovakia when the Nazis took over and eventually settled in the United States.

“I’ve had a wonderful life here. I love it, as do my children and my grandchildren,” he said. “And this man terrifies me.”

Fried added:

[Trump] says that the Constitution said ― and he said this to a bunch of high school students ― ‘I can do whatever I want, that’s what Article II says.’ Well it doesn’t, any lawyer knows that, any lawyer except maybe [Attorney General] Bill Barr and Mr. Cipollone [White House counsel Pat Cipollone].

Fried warned that Trump’s refusal to cooperate with Congress by blocking officials from testifying has placed the nation in a constitutional crisis.

“They are in contempt,” he said of officials who won’t testify. “Of course, [Trump] is in contempt.”

Hayes called Fried a “conservative legal legend” and asked what his fellow scholars on the right think of Trump.

“They are horrified,” Fried answered. “It is the very opposite of the great Republicans, like Ronald Reagan, like Dwight Eisenhower. Can you imagine Dwight Eisenhower speaking the way this man speaks? Or Lincoln? Or Teddy Roosevelt? This man is ignorant and foul-mouthed.”

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

Cinnabar (10-14-2019), evince (10-14-2019), Joe Capitalist (10-13-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    I really don't care if they don't go public against Trump as long as they vote for conviction during impeachment.

“We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

evince (10-14-2019)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Awesome. Not all Conservatives are totally cucked.

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Awesome. Not all Conservatives are totally cucked.
    Yep, I know many conservatives who are anti-Trump, who haven't fallen for his flam-flam shell game like the "poorly-educated" on the right.
    See below:

Trump Rally:

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lol, another "Conservative legend" nobody ever heard of. Everyone knows Havard Law is chock full of Conservatives.
    Every life matters

10. The Following User Groans At countryboy For This Awful Post:

Gonzomin (10-17-2019)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

Earl (10-17-2019), Life is Golden (10-15-2019), Truth Detector (10-15-2019)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yep, I know many conservatives who are anti-Trump, who haven't fallen for his flam-flam shell game like the "poorly-educated" on the right.
    See below:

Trump Rally:

I think stuff like this is kind of bad for the country too. Rednecks aren't all stupid, but when mainstream media makes fun of them like this, it drives them further to the Right. They become susceptible to people like Trump who claim that the establishment hates them.

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

can't wait to see those Trump-sucking GOP'ers at town halls next year, IF they have the balls to host one

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I think stuff like this is kind of bad for the country too. Rednecks aren't all stupid, but when mainstream media makes fun of them like this, it drives them further to the Right. They become susceptible to people like Trump who claim that the establishment hates them.
    Mainstream Media makes fun of rednecks? Where the hell do you get this, Gomer? Show me just one example of the Mainstream Media making fun of Rednecks. Nobody needs to make fun of rednecks. They do a great job of doing that themselves. And they become susceptible to people like Trump because of their stupidity, not because people make fun of them. You're really reaching here SBS. Too bad you don't have a better argument. This one is just plain silly. Or maybe YOU are a redneck and just don't realize it, Gomer.

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

See below:

Trump Rally:

I wish I knew some

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Mainstream Media makes fun of rednecks? Where the hell do you get this, Gomer? Show me just one example of the Mainstream Media making fun of Rednecks. Nobody needs to make fun of rednecks. They do a great job of doing that themselves. And they become susceptible to people like Trump because of their stupidity, not because people make fun of them. You're really reaching here SBS. Too bad you don't have a better argument. This one is just plain silly. Or maybe YOU are a redneck and just don't realize it, Gomer.
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Deepsouth

Imagine you come from a region and a culture where mainstream society ignores your concerns because the establishment thinks you and your family are all fat stupid racist alcoholics. Wouldn't you be more willing to trust someone who seemed to be the opposite of the establishment?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (10-18-2019)

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Yawn

19. The Following User Groans At canceled.2021.2 For This Awful Post:

Gonzomin (10-17-2019)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.2 For This Post:

Truth Detector (10-15-2019)

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,939 Times in 11,525 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fried added:

Huffington Post dismissed. It is not the Constitution. The Constitution is the Constitution.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

Earl (10-17-2019), Life is Golden (10-15-2019), Truth Detector (10-15-2019)

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Deepsouth

Imagine you come from a region and a culture where mainstream society ignores your concerns because the establishment thinks you and your family are all fat stupid racist alcoholics. Wouldn't you be more willing to trust someone who seemed to be the opposite of the establishment?
    There are options for people who dislike "sophisticated Democrats". This is on Trumptards for being exceptionally dumb.
    Their choice is not likely to disabuse many of their prejudices against rural folk.

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    There are options for people who dislike "sophisticated Democrats". This is on Trumptards for being exceptionally dumb.
    Their choice is not likely to disabuse many of their prejudices against rural folk.
    Sure, but if we want to show these people that Trump is lying to them, we first have to be nice enough that they want to even listen to us. You don't try to talk Muslims into leaving radical Islam but making fun of Muslim stereotypes.