Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Hello

Former Political Hotwire and Politics Online poster here, just getting back into message boards after a few years doing other stuff, now retired from Electro-Optics and Lasers field. Mostly interested in religion, some science, music, and economics history, and a little politics and foreign policy, though I don't shill for any left or right wing ideological rubbish, I'm a moderate centrist with both conservative and liberal views, depending on the issues, and I have almost no interest in PC memes and the like. A few posters here seem to have made it past puberty with no long term psychological damage, so I signed up; I hope to see the latter around more frequently.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Former Political Hotwire and Politics Online poster here, just getting back into message boards after a few years doing other stuff, now retired from Electro-Optics and Lasers field. Mostly interested in religion, some science, music, and economics history, and a little politics and foreign policy, though I don't shill for any left or right wing ideological rubbish, I'm a moderate centrist with both conservative and liberal views, depending on the issues, and I have almost no interest in PC memes and the like. A few posters here seem to have made it past puberty with no long term psychological damage, so I signed up; I hope to see the latter around more frequently.
    What's up Chuck!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MASON View Post
    What's up Chuck!
    Not much, currently, since I haven't gotten a confirmation email, though soon I'm going to start a personal study of the man you name in your sig, coincidentally, Melchizedek; I read about a theory that Abraham came from a different 'Ur' than that of the Mesopotamian region, one in northern Turkey or thereabouts. I don't put much stock in it but since I don't know enough about it I'm going to look into it more anyway. The route he took according to tradition doesn't seem very logical to me, really.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Hey, fam.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

Chuck (10-10-2019)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome Chuck,

You sound like a decent person and a welcome addition to our discussions. I am moderately liberal, and an atheist. I love science, math and music. Logic guides my views. I like to do research to formulate my views, and I try my best to avoid spin. When presented with something I disagree with I tend to simply point out why I believe it is in error and why I believe differently. I do not get into the personal mind games in the forum. I am not here to talk about people. Definitely into events and ideas. Always a student of history.

I hope we have some great discussions!
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

USFREEDOM911 (10-10-2019)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Chuck (10-10-2019)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,747 Times in 33,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Welcome, have fun, be sure to read our rules, thanks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Chuck (10-10-2019)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard!

What about religion interests you? I used to hang out (many years ago) on various discussion platforms and sometimes discuss religion. Not with the idea of changing anyone's mind... more trying to figure out why we believe what we do.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Chuck (10-10-2019), Phantasmal (10-10-2019)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Welcome, have fun, be sure to read our rules, thanks
    Are you also supposed to tell him "don't f up" ala Billy? lol
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Are you also supposed to tell him "don't f up" ala Billy? lol
    Lol, it doesn’t have quite the same effect.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (10-10-2019)

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Chuck: "Mostly interested in religion, ..."
    Jack: Well, you've met Phantasmal. Here, let me toss out two questions:
    1. Phantasmal believes Muslim students have the Right to bring Prayer Rugs to school, claims it's in the Constitution.
    2. Phantasmal also believes people shouldn't have sex until they are 25, claims their brains aren'y fully developed.

Any thoughts on this from a religious perspective?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Chuck (10-10-2019)

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Chuck: "Mostly interested in religion, ..."
    Jack: Well, you've met Phantasmal. Here, let me toss out two questions:
    1. Phantasmal believes Muslim students have the Right to bring Prayer Rugs to school, claims it's in the Constitution.
    2. Phantasmal also believes people shouldn't have sex until they are 25, claims their brains aren'y fully developed.

Any thoughts on this from a religious perspective?
    2. Liar

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

2. Liar
    You (and Evince) Posted it.

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You (and Evince) Posted it.
    No, you are totally misrepresenting my position on the matter, and I’ve corrected you, so now you are lying.

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No, you are totally misrepresenting my position on the matter, and I’ve corrected you, so now you are lying.
    Please. State your Position.

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Please. State your Position.
    I already have on several occasions, it’s not my fault you didn’t retain the information, showing your age.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (10-10-2019)