Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Noncooperation With Congress? Yeah, Nixon Tried That. Didn't Work For Him Either.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Noncooperation With Congress? Yeah, Nixon Tried That. Didn't Work For Him Either.

The power of impeachment lies with the House.

It is not up to the executive to decide how impeachment is supposed to go.

The power lies with the House. That's in the Constitution. The House has no Rules requiring a floor vote.

And there is no court to go to about this. (Trump's favorite recourse to get his way.)

Nixon tried not cooperating with the House. Nixon also had articles against him for obstructing the Impeachment Inquiry, in addition to Watergate.

Trump is going to have articles against him for obstructing the House Impeachment Inquiry, in addition to Abuse of office and Violation of Oath of office, over the Ukraine Affair.

Keep it up, Mr. President. You're just digging yourself in deeper.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Iolo/Penderyn (10-10-2019), Joe Capitalist (10-11-2019), Phantasmal (10-10-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 948 Times in 862 Posts

What Trump is doing is called obstruction. Mueller showed another 10 incidents of obstruction.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gonzomin For This Post:

Iolo/Penderyn (10-10-2019), Phantasmal (10-10-2019), PoliTalker (10-10-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The parallels to the Nixon impeachment grow by the day.

There was a reason so many Republicans were so reluctant to get behind Trump in the first place.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (10-10-2019)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Since the Democrats as a Party declared themselves as actively 'Resistant' to anything and everything he does, no matter what, why would he cooperate? What incentive does he have? It's kind of silly to expect him to cooperate, especially when we all know if they vote for impeachment it will blow up in their faces like all of their previous claims and actions; the Senate is not going to remove him from office, and probably won't even pay any attention to the demand. They gave away 2020 to Trump with their open admission of favoring illegal aliens over citizens in their fake 'Debates' on national TV. One doesn't have to be a partisan to see the obvious here.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck For This Post:

Into the Night (11-08-2019), Truth Detector (10-10-2019)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

What will happen if this causes an investigation of Biden and his son, and we get to watch on live TV as Joe and his son take the 5th a hundred times over his visits to Red China and the Ukraine? With Giden already toast, they;re left with Warren now, and we know she can't win against Trump, and again only a deranged partisan would believe otherwise.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck For This Post:

Truth Detector (10-10-2019)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    The power of impeachment lies with the House.

It is not up to the executive to decide how impeachment is supposed to go.

The power lies with the House. That's in the Constitution. The House has no Rules requiring a floor vote.

And there is no court to go to about this. (Trump's favorite recourse to get his way.)

Nixon tried not cooperating with the House. Nixon also had articles against him for obstructing the Impeachment Inquiry, in addition to Watergate.

Trump is going to have articles against him for obstructing the House Impeachment Inquiry, in addition to Abuse of office and Violation of Oath of office, over the Ukraine Affair.

Keep it up, Mr. President. You're just digging yourself in deeper.
    This is why I say that muh constitution is a useless piece of paper. If the president doesn't want to follow its rules, who is going to make him?

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Noncooperation With Congress? Yeah, Nixon Tried That. Didn't Work For Him Either.
    This isn't Watergate. There has been no vote on impeachment. No one is obligated to kowtow to letter demands from loons in the House.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

canceled.2021.2 (10-11-2019)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    What Trump is doing is called obstruction. Mueller showed another 10 incidents of obstruction.
    Obviously you don't know what obstruction means. I bet you thought the same stupid thing with the Mueller HOAX too.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The parallels to the Nixon impeachment grow by the day.
    Wrong; this is NOTHING like Watergate. Watergate began with a crime and then a cover up. There is none here. It is a brain dead hack fishing expedition that for three years has come up with NOTHING and made the Party of the Jackass look like do-nothing fools.

There was a reason so many Republicans were so reluctant to get behind Trump in the first place.
    Pegged the BS meter on this one.

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Since the Democrats as a Party declared themselves as actively 'Resistant' to anything and everything he does, no matter what, why would he cooperate? What incentive does he have? It's kind of silly to expect him to cooperate, especially when we all know if they vote for impeachment it will blow up in their faces like all of their previous claims and actions; the Senate is not going to remove him from office, and probably won't even pay any attention to the demand. They gave away 2020 to Trump with their open admission of favoring illegal aliens over citizens in their fake 'Debates' on national TV. One doesn't have to be a partisan to see the obvious here.
    Chuck has a brain and gets it. Leftists, not so much.

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    This is why I say that muh constitution is a useless piece of paper.
    More proof of your lack of intelligence and education.

If the president doesn't want to follow its rules, who is going to make him?
    What rules? The made up rules the Party of the Jackass are creating for their clown show?

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Chuck,

Since the Democrats as a Party declared themselves as actively 'Resistant' to anything and everything he does, no matter what,
    While some Democrats may have done that there is no such official party policy. Political extrapolations are unwise.

why would he cooperate? What incentive does he have?
    Not incurring an impeachment simply because he defied Constitutional directives.

It's kind of silly to expect him to cooperate, especially when we all know if they vote for impeachment it will blow up in their faces like all of their previous claims and actions;
    We know no such thing. Any speculations as to how this will play out are just that. Speculations.

the Senate is not going to remove him from office,
    There is no such common knowledge. Trump himself is very worried about it. He is sending mixed messages as usual. There was an attempt to claim he was delighted and felt that it was sure to help him, but then there has also been a lot of tweeting and attacking others, lashing out at anyone he thinks may divert attention from his plight.

and probably won't even pay any attention to the demand.
    McConnell has said the Senate will hold the trial if the House impeaches.

They gave away 2020 to Trump with their open admission of favoring illegal aliens over citizens in their fake 'Debates' on national TV. One doesn't have to be a partisan to see the obvious here.
    Actually that messaging plays very well with a lot of people. Our fastest growing population sector is Hispanic. Republicans are losing the demographics over time. Xenophobia only plays to a shrinking mostly older mindset.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Joe Capitalist (10-11-2019)

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Chuck,

What will happen if this causes an investigation of Biden and his son, and we get to watch on live TV as Joe and his son take the 5th a hundred times over his visits to Red China and the Ukraine?
    I have zero doubt that if there was anything to investigate about Biden and or his son that team Trump would have already done so long ago. These efforts to try to dig up dirt from other nations strike me as desperation moves. Trump is without informed constraint, listens to nobody, his entire staff afraid to tell him what he doesn't want to hear. Those who have tried all got fired. He is left with a team of yes men. He does not get good advice, so he does whatever comes to mind, which is why he broke his oath of office by asking foreign nationals for help in his political pursuits.

With Giden already toast, they;re left with Warren now, and we know she can't win against Trump, and again only a deranged partisan would believe otherwise.
    I heard that it has rarely happened that the leaders in the polls over a year out from an election eventually become the winner. How many times did the Republican poll leader swap? New candidates could even still enter the race. It is premature to count Biden out just yet, none the less. He is getting some favorable PR out of this whole Ukraine scandal, despite his mouth and questionable debate performances. The conspiracy theories Trump acted on were debunked before he bit on them. He wished they were true, placed his stake on it, and it appears to be a gambit which has failed.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello StoneByStone,

This is why I say that muh constitution is a useless piece of paper. If the president doesn't want to follow its rules, who is going to make him?
    Congress. They actually have the power to have him physically dragged out of the White House if it comes to that.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Hello StoneByStone,

Congress. They actually have the power to have him physically dragged out of the White House if it comes to that.
    Congress has almost 200 Republicans and they're going to defend Trump no matter what.