Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California governor signs bill that will allow NCAA athletes to be paid

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,494 Times in 7,584 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default California governor signs bill that will allow NCAA athletes to be paid

College athletes in California will essentially be afforded the same endorsement opportunities provided to Olympic athletes. Money would not be coming from universities, but the law would allow athletes to hire an agent and pursue outside business deals without jeopardizing their eligibility. Athletes would also own the rights to use their names and images.

Since the bill was in its infancy, the NCAA has been strongly against it. Back in June, NCAA president Mark Emmert sent a letter to California lawmakers implying that universities in the state could be barred from NCAA championships if the bill was entered into state law.

Newsom: We had to force NCAA’s hand
    Newsom told the Times that state officials felt the need to force the NCAA’s hand on the issue.

“They’re not going to do the right thing on their own. They only do the right thing when they’re sued or they’re forced to do the right thing,” Newsom said.

In recent months, legislators in other states, including South Carolina and New York, have spoken out in support of the California bill and voiced interest in pursuing similar legislation in their own states.

Meanwhile, athletic administrators across the country are feeling uneasy. TCU athletic director Jeremiah Donati told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that the bill “worries” him “a lot” and that it could “potentially destroy everything we know and love about college sports.” Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said last week, before the bill was signed into law, that California schools “won’t be members of the NCAA” if the bill passed. Smith also said Ohio State would not schedule games against any teams from California
    https://sports.yahoo.com/california-...150321884.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

TOP (10-07-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

It will happen. Its just a matter of time.

But who pays and how do they determine who gets what?

Title 9 requires equality in the treatment of male and female athletes. Does a female golfer at UA make the same as the starting QB?

And what university can afford to pay all its athletes? I heard an interesting stat today. In the 50 years the NBA has existed, there have been only 3,000 players. Ohio State has 2,000 student athletes on campus right now. Maybe the big powerhouses can afford to pay the athletes, but barely. Schools like Vanderbilt or Northwestern can't.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

interesting......that seems like it would give a certain edge to the recruitment efforts of California schools........will we end up with two collegiate sports systems?.......the NCAA and the CCAA?......or just put an * in the record books......

* not really
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,242 Times in 13,967 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,054 Times in 2,849 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post

Title 9 requires equality in the treatment of male and female athletes. Does a female golfer at UA make the same as the starting QB?

And what university can afford to pay all its athletes? I heard an interesting stat today. In the 50 years the NBA has existed, there have been only 3,000 players. Ohio State has 2,000 student athletes on campus right now. Maybe the big powerhouses can afford to pay the athletes, but barely. Schools like Vanderbilt or Northwestern can't.
    You should be happy, in time, what used to be college football will evolve into a dozen or so teams in a pro conference, pretty much what it is now, but scattered, except it will be legitimate, and will be followed as enthusiasticly as Triple AAA baseball

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,494 Times in 7,584 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's not about the universities paying athletes. The law allows athletes to make commercial endorsements.
    But here's the problem... a wealthy alumnus could guarantee a h.s. recruit that he will get an attractive endorsement deal if he signs .
    I can see this going to the S.C.
    Last edited by anonymoose; 10-07-2019 at 04:50 PM.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's about time............Stop treating athletes like slaves!!

The slave mentality is the bane of American white society.

Its how they make their money.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    You should be happy, in time, what used to be college football will evolve into a dozen or so teams in a pro conference, pretty much what it is now, but scattered, except it will be legitimate, and will be followed as enthusiasticly as Triple AAA baseball
    If you think the fans of college football will go away because the athletes are allowed to get paid by endorsements, you are crazier than I thought.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If you think the fans of college football will go away because the athletes are allowed to get paid by endorsements, you are crazier than I thought.
    It will go beyond endorsements, the NCAA has been fighting California's decision because they view it as opening the door, only the beginning, the NCAA will lose control, and the top dozen or so teams will evolve into their own league. Why would anyone watch college pro football?

Fans interests will return regional as it was decades ago

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It will go beyond endorsements, the NCAA has been fighting California's decision because they view it as opening the door, only the beginning, the NCAA will lose control, and the top dozen or so teams will evolve into their own league. Why would anyone watch college pro football?

Fans interests will return regional as it was decades ago
    One of the largest social clubs in NY in the 1970s was the University of Alabama Alumnus. So you are wrong about what happened "...decades ago.".

And it seems that this should be a cause for celebration for you. If it goes the way you say, it will basically kill college football as we know it. That should make a hater like you quite happy.

Just an FYI, those handsome jock types will still be getting laid while you spend evenings playing video games.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WinterBorn For This Post:

Minister of Truth (10-07-2019)

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

One of the largest social clubs in NY in the 1970s was the University of Alabama Alumnus. So you are wrong about what happened "...decades ago.".

And it seems that this should be a cause for celebration for you. If it goes the way you say, it will basically kill college football as we know it. That should make a hater like you quite happy.

Just an FYI, those handsome jock types will still be getting laid while you spend evenings playing video games.
    I got to bet that the social club thing came from some Alabama alumni publication

Quite the contrary, I hope it happens, then real amateur collegiate sports especially football can return

And forget the getting laid, I never had to used my own athletic achievements as a crutch to get laid

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

AAA Baseball is not followed enthusiastically.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    AAA Baseball is not followed enthusiastically.
    Exactly, and neither will a money driven conference of the then top programs in college pro football

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

I got to bet that the social club thing came from some Alabama alumni publication

Quite the contrary, I hope it happens, then real amateur collegiate sports especially football can return

And forget the getting laid, I never had to used my own athletic achievements as a crutch to get laid
    I'm sure you used your many other achievements as a crutch to acquire more video games.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    I'm sure you used your many other achievements as a crutch to acquire more video games.
    Nah, didn't do video games either, in fact, there were few if any around, the only guys who had or have a problem getting laid were those who lacked confidence in themselves

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Amateur collegiate sports can return? To what? Crowds of 50 people to watch frat boys play flag football?