Members banned from this thread: USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Truth Detector, canceled.2021.2, Text Drivers are Killers, CFM, Stretch, zymurgy, BigPimpin, TOP, Earl, Terri4Trump, Cancel 2020.2 and OG Yurt

Thread: 9-year-old to face 5 murder charges

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,385 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default 9-year-old to face 5 murder charges

EUREKA, Ill. (AP) — A 9-year-old child accused of causing a mobile home fire that killed three children and two adults in central Illinois has been charged with five counts of first-degree murder.

The juvenile also was charged with two counts of arson and one count of aggravated arson, the (Peoria) Journal Star reported.

The April 6 fire killed a 1-year-old, two 2-year-olds, a 34-year-old man and a 69-year-old woman at the Timberline Mobile Home Park near the village of Goodfield, about 150 miles (240 kilometers) southwest of Chicago.

Woodford County State's Attorney Greg Minger would not reveal other details about the suspect, including a possible relationship to the victims.

No child as young as this one has been accused in a mass killing since at least 2006, according to the AP/USATODAY/Northeastern University mass murder database. It tracks all U.S. homicides since then in which four or more people were killed (not including the offender) over a short period of time (24 hours), regardless of weapon, location, victim-offender relationship or motive.

(https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/lo...e-764e5730318b)
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

In your opinion, is a nine-year-old even old enough to understand fully what he/she did and why it deserves punishment?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Trumpet (10-09-2019)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is total absurdity.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

That's insane. They're going to ruin this child's life over something it probably didn't even understand.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (10-09-2019)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is a serious crime. At first it sounds horrible to do this, but when I read more of the story the action sounds more appropriate. The child is not being charged as an adult, but being made to answer for the crime in what sounds like a very appropriate way. Obviously, this child needs counseling. What a difficult case. Something needs to be done. Society cannot just look the other way and pretend it never happened. The child won't even be sent to Juvenile Detention:

"If convicted, the child could be placed on probation for at least five years but not beyond the age of 21, Minger said. Therapy and counseling would be likely.

"Probation, given the age, is about the only outcome that could happen here," he said.

No arrest warrant is to be issued for the suspect, Minger said. The suspect will be appointed an attorney and will be subject to a bench trial, in front of a judge, he said.

Under Illinois law, a suspect younger than 10 cannot be detained. And a minor is not given a public jury trial and not entitled to one — unless the minor is charged as an adult.

The filing of murder charges against children under 10 is rare but not unprecedented.

Last month, a Michigan judge dismissed a murder charge against a 9-year-old accused of fatally shooting his mother in their home near Sturgis. St. Joseph County Family Division Judge David Tomlinson ruled that, under Michigan law, the boy was presumed incompetent for trial because he's not yet 10.

"This case disturbs me more than any case I've ever dealt with," the judge said."
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

USFREEDOM911 (10-09-2019)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (10-09-2019)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I would not want to be the prosecutor or judge on this case. There's so much we don't know. Did the nine-year-old have a history of arson and/or violence, or was he/she otherwise a troubled child with issues at home and school? Did he/she set the fire knowing that it would kill the family? If the people who died were not his family, where WAS his family? Can he be rehabilitated with therapy?