Members banned from this thread: evince and domer76

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Presidents not allowed to investigate past Admins?

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,265 Times in 3,123 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 266 Times in 254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    incorrect information from his own staff?

didn't Trump say he hires only the best people?

wtf?
    Clearly not, since he's kicked out a bunch of them, and has called them morons.
    Keep changing the names. It doesn't change the meaning.

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    The powers of the president are in article II. It does not list the power to investigate prior administrations.

Next thread please.
    But it does say they can investigate since that is a power of the Executive branch. IE Enforce laws. Can't enforce without investigation. Why would prior admins be off limits to that power?

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    What does "leverage" mean?
    Perhaps Ukraine didn't need money until now. And now that they need it (considering Obama gave them nothing) Trump used the opportunity to push for corruption clean up. It would be smart to do.

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 948 Times in 862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Source?
    Don't do that. You know he is nuts when he says things like that. Do not encourage him. The Red house investigated Hillary over and over, about a dozen times... McCarthy who was in charge said he did it to hurt her polling and was happy it was working. He had another one teed off if she won.

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    So, he needs to tell them what testimony to give?
    Not necessarily. But if you think the investigation is unjust, why would you cooperate?

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64 View Post
    Cheney and bush did shady shit......they murdered millions based on a lie, they stole billions of dollars from Americans and Iraqies and NOTHING happened to them.

We didn't need Iraq to look into ANYTHING........WHITE AMERICAN PEOPLE KNEW WHAT HAPPENED AND LET IT SLIDE...………...BUSH, CHENEY AND THE ENTIRE REPUBLICAN ADMINISTRATIN SHOULD BE LOCKED UP ALONG WITH ANY DEMOCRAT WHO WENT ALONG WITH THE CROOKS.
    Looks like I triggered someone.

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    Presidents do not have that power. The power of investigation resides in the house.
    It is different now. If Trump thought Obama did something illegal, he could get Russia or the Ukraine to investigate.,
    Wrong.

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Yeah but there is a reason that Trump "hides" things on private servers. Not just this phone calls. He has leakers at the WH, that are constantly trying to down his admin. So everything that can be, is hidden from the staffers, to prevent leaks. So you can't really use that as an argument of "shadyness."
    I disagree that people are constantly trying to take him down, but let's just assume that's true. If the phone call wasn't incriminating, why try to hide it? Had Trump believed what he did was ok, he wouldn't care about it getting leaked

How do you go through congress to investigate a past admin crimes?
    You hold a meeting, get your party to write up a bill, get congress to vote on it.
    TBH, the president probably could investigate a past admin's crimes without congress, and nobody would kick up much of a fuss about it. I wouldn't see it as a problem, as long as it wasn't obviously for personal gain.

Are you sure its Debunked? Because Hunter Biden was paid millions in consulting in the oil business for doing nothing. Why? Because his daddy was VP of the US.
    What exactly is the scandal there? Yeah, the company probably just wanted to say the veep's son worked for them. It was nepotism. But how is that corruption? We're talking about a private company here, not a position in the Ukrainian government.

I get what you are saying about Precedent. I don't want Trump or any future pres violating the law. But I also don't want partisans in congress to have the ability to remove a pres, just because they don't like him. Isn't that what elections are for? If he's bad, let the voters get rid of him.
    But this isn't happening because they don't like Trump. He very obviously broke the rules here.
    The point of having laws is to keep people from doing things that harm society. If our attitude is that the voters will get rid of a corrupt president, then the president is basically free to break all the laws he wants until he's not president anymore.

9. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    Don't do that. You know he is nuts when he says things like that. Do not encourage him. The Red house investigated Hillary over and over, about a dozen times... McCarthy who was in charge said he did it to hurt her polling and was happy it was working. He had another one teed off if she won.
    I know, but when I ask conspiracy nuts for a source, they get mad, and that amuses me.

10. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I disagree that people are constantly trying to take him down, but let's just assume that's true. If the phone call wasn't incriminating, why try to hide it? Had Trump believed what he did was ok, he wouldn't care about it getting leaked

You hold a meeting, get your party to write up a bill, get congress to vote on it.
    TBH, the president probably could investigate a past admin's crimes without congress, and nobody would kick up much of a fuss about it. I wouldn't see it as a problem, as long as it wasn't obviously for personal gain.

What exactly is the scandal there? Yeah, the company probably just wanted to say the veep's son worked for them. It was nepotism. But how is that corruption? We're talking about a private company here, not a position in the Ukrainian government.

But this isn't happening because they don't like Trump. He very obviously broke the rules here.
    The point of having laws is to keep people from doing things that harm society. If our attitude is that the voters will get rid of a corrupt president, then the president is basically free to break all the laws he wants until he's not president anymore.
    Be honest with that last part. They DON'T like Trump.

So you are opposed to elections deciding who leads what?

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

11. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Be honest with that last part. They DON'T like Trump.
    I'm sure they don't like him as a person because he's horrible, but they like his policies. Why else do Republicans defend him when he's objectively terrible?

So you are opposed to elections deciding who leads what?
    No, but I expect presidents to have to obey the law. If they break the law, they should be held accountable like anyone else.

12. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Boo fucking hoo

13. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 948 Times in 862 Posts

Not necessarily. But if you think the investigation is unjust, why would you cooperate?
    You could prove they are just investigating for political reasons and rally the people in back of you. Trump cannot do that because he is guilty. Hillary answered every subpoena and testified under oath. I think that Trump should do the same thing. He is doing what a guilty person would do. Hillary did what an innocent person would.

14. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,621 Times in 10,578 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

One thing that I heard is that they avoid it like the plague because they don't want the US to look like some third world country where they toss everybody in jail after a coup.

Though, actually showing that nobody is above the law would go a long way towards fixing some of the frickin' corruption.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

15. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,484 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 611 Posts
    Blog Entries

Make sure he/she has all the facts to give a full account. Not just part of the story.
    You mean make sure that he/she has a consistent story that will protect El Presidente.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RINO is the term for that rare Republican who puts country above party.

Right wing = lie, lie, and lie some more.

"When I am president I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to play golf" Donald J. Trump, world class snake oil salesman and compulsive golfer August 2016

The definition of "racist" as "anyone who is white" is itself racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Powell
    It’s now ‘me the president’ instead of ‘we the people’