Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: New Law Requires You To Listen To Greta Thunberg Lecture Before Purchasing Gasoline

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I wonder what you poor snowflakes will do if the Nobel committee awards her the Nobel Peace Prize? I call dibs on the popcorn stand!
    The Nobel Peace prize is a joke. Has been at least since they gave it to Obama for literally nothing.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirthinksalot For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (10-09-2019), deadcatbounce (10-08-2019)

3. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,939 Times in 11,525 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

More hyperbole. Why is nuclear the only other option you mention besides coal? Our city closed down both of its coal-fired plants and installed a natural gas plant and a solar farm instead. We already have a hydro plant. The coal used to get here via freighters, which added their own emissions to the equation. The NG gets here via pipeline. Here's an entire state that is using renewables:

"Renewable resources—primarily hydropower—provided 99.7% of Vermont's electricity generation in 2018, the highest share for any state."
    (https://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=VT)

Baby steps made by small places like here and Vermont can someday hopefully be adopted by larger places.
    Did you know that burning natural gas causes carbon dioxide?

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,939 Times in 11,525 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinksalot View Post
    The Nobel Peace prize is a joke. Has been at least since they gave it to Obama for literally nothing.
    At least the Ig Nobel Prize is designed to be a joke! The Nobel prize is just turning into one.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (10-09-2019), Sirthinksalot (10-08-2019)

6. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle-Eye View Post
    Owl
    It seems like your side are the ones suffering in terror. You are just like chicken little along comes someone with a tale of doom and gloom and you jump right in with OMG we have to do something now. I gave you the answer on cutting down on carbon emissions but you sidestep that so you can keep your terror mongering up.
    Really? You're afraid of solar farms, natural gas-fired electric generation, and hydro power? Who knew? lol You mentioned nuclear as apparently the only option to coal. If you're not concerned about spent nuclear fuel, you're not paying attention.

As to the child I care about her future just like I care about all future gererations of leaders. I don't give a rats ass whether she is American or any other nationality when I see a child being used as a political pawn I'm going to speak out.
    That's fine. Then attack her ideas and beliefs and not her, her parents, and the rest of us who are not involved in her personal life.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

7. The Following User Groans At ThatOwlWoman For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (10-09-2019)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

moon (10-09-2019)

9. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    sorry. yes it is satire.. Babylon Bee
    Never saw that site before. Good Stuff!

Hillary Clinton Announces She Will Seek Reelection As President Of The United States

WASHINGTON, D.C.—Hillary Clinton has announced that after much debate she will seek reelection as president of the United States.

Pundits on MSNBC, CNN, and ABC News have long pondered whether Clinton would seek reelection or allow someone else to step in, and now she's made a definitive declaration.

"After much deliberation, consultation, and prayer to Moloch, I have decided that I will seek a second term," she said to a crowd gathered at a local Wendy's restaurant. "I feel I haven't accomplished everything I wanted to in my first term, and I really need a full eight years to implement my final solution to all of America's problems."

"Orange man bad! Orange man bad!" she chanted at one heckler, though the heckler turned out to be a Wendy's worker asking if she wanted the Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger 4 for $4 or the chicken sandwich one.

Aides then gently ushered her back onto the bus to take her back to Bright Sunrise Home For Seniors.
    https://babylonbee.com/news/hilary-c...-united-states

All Democrats Drop Out Of Presidential Race Since The World Is Ending From Climate Change And There's No Point

https://babylonbee.com/news/all-demo...o-point-anyway

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (10-09-2019), dukkha (10-09-2019), RB 60 (10-08-2019)

11. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,527 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Really? You're afraid of solar farms, natural gas-fired electric generation, and hydro power? Who knew? lol You mentioned nuclear as apparently the only option to coal. If you're not concerned about spent nuclear fuel, you're not paying attention.

That's fine. Then attack her ideas and beliefs and not her, her parents, and the rest of us who are not involved in her personal life.
    You have serious problems accepting the fact that it will not be easy to get off fossil fuels. But keep up your hysterics and blame conservatives for doubting your teen heroine's dire predictions while you sit back and find fault with any idea conservatives come up with.

solar farms, natural gas-fired electric generation, and hydro power? Who knew? lol You mentioned nuclear as apparently the only option to coal.
    natural gas-fired electric generation
    Wow only slightly cleaner than coal. And methane gas is a really bad greenhouse gas! Great thinking owl.

solar power
    Good alternative as a supplemental source where there is abundant sun light and unlimited space. Not effective for large cities as the primary power source.

and hydro power?
    Hydro power works well but has limited output as we have seen in southern California.

You forgot wind power. It has the same draw backs as solar power, plus it kills large quantities of birds.

Damn Owl all your wonderful ideas have serious limitations. The only really viable way to get off fossil fuels quickly and with the least problems is nuclear.

Oh no one gives a flying F about the kids personal life. Please feel free to continue to hold her up as the mother Teresa of the environmental movement.

ADDED: BTW 75% of France's energy is nuclear.
    Last edited by Eagle_Eye; 10-08-2019 at 06:06 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

13. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,905 Times in 7,965 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,669 Times in 1,547 Posts

^ masculinity?
    Don't worry.

That's not something you need to be concerned about.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

14. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle-Eye View Post
    You have serious problems accepting the fact that it will not be easy to get off fossil fuels. But keep up your hysterics and blame conservatives for doubting your teen heroine's dire predictions while you sit back and find fault with any idea conservatives come up with.
    Um, where -- exactly -- did I claim that it would not be hard to get off of fossil fuel? Natural gas, which I've been mentioning, is a fossil fuel.

You can doubt climate change all you like. It won't change that it exists. It won't change that it is going to affect the life of every being on this planet eventually, in one way or another. Even the wealthy will feel the effects.

Wow only slightly cleaner than coal. And methane gas is a really bad greenhouse gas! Great thinking owl.
    You are right; methane is a potent greenhouse gas. Even as I type this, it is being emitted by melting permafrost in Arctic regions. (And by cows and gassy husbands. lol) As for the methane that we burn, it is being burned not released to the atmosphere. During methane combustion CO2 is formed; is CO2 a greenhouse gas? Some of your friends here claim that it is not. At any rate, NG is far less "dirty" than even the cleanest of coals. The reason why coal is dying in favor of natural gas is not pressure from greenies or "stifling" regulations. It is economics.

(solar) Good alternative as a supplemental source where there is abundant sun light and unlimited space. Not effective for large cities as the primary power source.
    Solar cells are far more powerful and efficient than they used to be, and will gather light even on cloudy days. I have one of those solar-powered ornamental canning jars hanging out in the garden. Last winter it was buried under a foot of snow, but we could still sit it faintly shining out there! So they are a LOT better than they used to be, as well as much cheaper despite Trump's efforts. But I digress. My issue with solar is that some of the material used in creating the panels is toxic to the environment.

Hydro power works well but has limited output as we have seen in southern California.
    And obviously if you don't have 1) flowing water, and 2) suitable terrain you can't have hydro.

You forgot wind power. It has the same draw backs as solar power, plus it kills large quantities of birds.
    Actually it does not. We were just talking about that in class yesterday, as a matter of fact. One of the kids has a wind turbine parked on his parents' farm, as do all the surrounding farm ppl. He said it is silent (even when the nacelle rotates to face the wind!) and other than looking large and ugly, bothers them not. I asked if he had noticed dead birds around and he said not a single one. Wind turbines are one of those NIMBY things. Everyone loves the "free" power they create, but doesn't want the eyesore around their area.

Damn Owl all your wonderful ideas have serious limitations. The only really viable way to get off fossil fuels quickly and with the least problems is nuclear.
    Nope, that has the worst drawbacks of all. Have you ever read Robert Heinlein? He's one of my favorite authors. He coined a phrase "TANSTAAFL" -- There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. Meaning everything comes with a price. Creating electricity comes with a price, no matter what means you choose to use. The "price" of nuclear-generated power is far too high, both economically and environmentally.

My oldest son is a nuclear power plant engineer. He steadfastly defends nuclear energy as you might imagine. Yet even he admits that the waste generated is a problem. Where do you safely store something that remains dangerous for a hundred human lifetimes?

Oh no one gives a flying F about the kids personal life. Please feel free to continue to hold her up as the mother Teresa of the environmental movement.
    You'll show me where I did that, right? Maybe YOU don't give a flying fuck about her personal life, but Toxic, Stretch, etc. have all been bashing her right and left for her alleged "mental problems," not being in school, not getting "help," etc.

ADDED: BTW 75% of France's energy is nuclear.
    That's nice. Good for them.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

15. The Following User Groans At ThatOwlWoman For This Awful Post:

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (10-08-2019), moon (10-09-2019)

17. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

sorry. yes it is satire.. Babylon Bee
    I am surprised at how easily you were duped

Nothing about it seemed even remotely plausible at first glance

18. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (10-08-2019)

20. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I am surprised at how easily you were duped

Nothing about it seemed even remotely plausible at first glance
    Pompous cunt!!

21. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If your son is a nuclear plant engineer then he should know that 4th gen molten salt reactors can use spent fuel, known erroneously as waste, as fuel. That's why I think this doesn't pass the sniff test. You just regurgitate the same old bullshit over and over, why are you so dense and uninformed?

https://www.zmescience.com/ecology/w...eactor-424343/
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 10-09-2019 at 02:26 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

TOP (10-09-2019)

23. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,400 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,397 Times in 6,144 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    Pompous cunt!!
    I'm sorry, maggot- but you and your Yamaha Pacifica have failed the Pumpin' Thunderbergs audition. Punk speak is just so...........................yesteryear.

Haw, haw............................haw.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

24. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Never saw that site before. Good Stuff!
    It's hilarious. very Onion like

25. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    If your son is a nuclear plant engineer then he should know that 4th gen molten salt reactors can use spent fuel, known erroneously as waste, as fuel. That's why I think this doesn't pass the sniff test. You just regurgitate the same old bullshit over and over, why are you so dense and uninformed?

https://www.zmescience.com/ecology/w...eactor-424343/
    https://www.theengineer.co.uk/genera...uclear-future/

26. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Don't worry.

That's not something you need to be concerned about.
    Says the one that has his challenge accepted then went into hiding.