Page 167 of 197 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 2947

Thread: Greta Thunberg

1. #2491 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,484 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 611 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Some quick photo evidence:

Wisconsin

Puerto Rico

One of the biggest surprises with these wind farms is the accelerated wear of the blades due to dust in the air. Engineers seriously underestimated the abrasion dust does to the blades causing them to wear out in a few years rather than the scheduled decade plus. This has dramatically increased the cost of preventative maintenance on these units.
    Of course, with no cost for fuel, they're still fairly cheap to operate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RINO is the term for that rare Republican who puts country above party.

Right wing = lie, lie, and lie some more.

"When I am president I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to play golf" Donald J. Trump, world class snake oil salesman and compulsive golfer August 2016

The definition of "racist" as "anyone who is white" is itself racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Powell
    It’s now ‘me the president’ instead of ‘we the people’

2. #2492 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,929 Times in 13,196 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rjhenn View Post
    Of course, with no cost for fuel, they're still fairly cheap to operate.
    The problem is that individually, they generate fairly small quantities of power and it is DC so it requires additional equipment to convert it to usable AC. The units are also relatively high maintenance and the land they are on is unusable for other purposes. Then there's the fact they are just a major eyesore.

3. #2493 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The problem is that individually, they generate fairly small quantities of power and it is DC so it requires additional equipment to convert it to usable AC. The units are also relatively high maintenance and the land they are on is unusable for other purposes. Then there's the fact they are just a major eyesore.
    Whine, whine, whine!

"When I am president I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to play golf" Donald J. Trump, world class snake oil salesman and compulsive golfer August 2016

4. #2494 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

And, where do they get it when the wind doesn't blow...?

But wind is way better than solar. The sun sets everyday...
    The US gets around 1% of it energy from solar, pretty piss poor investment to my mind! Crescent Dunes and Ivanpah have both gone bust, incredibly expensive way to fry birds of prey.

chart.jpg

5. #2495 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Jesus wept, how many times has some idiot said the wind is free? What is the working life of those huge offshore turbines, the environment is incredibly hostile. I can't see them lasting more than 20 years at most, wind turbines are found to lose 1.6 ± 0.2% of their output per year, with average load factors declining from 28.5% when new to 21% at age 19. Then there is the question of decommissioning and disposal of huge glass fibre blades.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...60148113005727

6. #2496 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Wind turbines need regular maintenance and lots of it. Texas billionaire T. Boone Pickens got into wind generation for a bit thinking it was the next big thing. He found it was a total bust and bailed.

https://www.foxnews.com/story/texas-...-for-wind-farm
    https://www.fastcompany.com/1514275/...xas-wind-power
    https://www.pjstar.com/article/20090709/News/307099829

Solar has other issues. Water consumption is high due to the cleaning requirements and this is a problem in desert regions. Clearing land and the solar arrays create urban heat island effects (in the worst cases, the "bird cookers") that disrupt local weather patterns. PV solar has a service life of 15 to 30 years depending on the panels used.

It's all stupidity. To match one nuclear plant 24/7 you need roughly a solar array 75 to 100 miles on a side. Can you imagine every bit of desert between LA and Phoenix paved over in solar panels to provide power? That's what we're looking at here. It's insane.

You see, if you want CO2 reduced, fine by me. But I want it done in a responsible and efficient way. That way is natural gas and nuclear, not wind and solar. Convincing the radicals on the Left is possible. I showed this guy nuclear was the answer and he bought in.

The guy on the right is Jonathan Paul an ALF terrorist. Yep, met him and showed him the light. Also told him how to fix the roof leaks on his house...
    Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 09-06-2020 at 11:57 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (09-22-2020)

8. #2497 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,400 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,397 Times in 6,144 Posts
    Blog Entries

With the collapse of the excesses of the aircraft industry a shift from aircraft manufacture to wind turbines would, significantly, reduce their production costs- and provide employment for the assholes that have been polluting our atmosphere for so long. Nobody can have failed to notice the dramatic improvements in jet-free air quality and wind turbines do not cause significant atmospheric damage. That's one excellent reason for increasing their usage- which , no doubt, will get up the noses of corporate polluters.

Haw, haw..................haw.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

9. The Following User Groans At moon For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (09-07-2020)

10. #2498 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Greta Thunberg

'This is me at the age of 2. The picture was taken 2005 in France.
    Since then about one third of ALL the world’s fossil fuel CO2 emissions have occurred. Over half of our CO2 emissions have taken place since 1990.

That sort of gives you an idea of how fast we’re racing in the wrong direction. Our annual emissions are now so high that every single year of Business As Usual will impact future living conditions for countless generations. Join us this Friday, September 25th for the global climate strike.' #FridaysForFuture
    #facetheclimateemergency

Troll trap. Here they come ;

Maria Ressa.

11. The Following User Groans At moon For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (09-21-2020)

12. #2499 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Wind turbines need regular maintenance and lots of it. Texas billionaire T. Boone Pickens got into wind generation for a bit thinking it was the next big thing. He found it was a total bust and bailed.

https://www.foxnews.com/story/texas-...-for-wind-farm
    https://www.fastcompany.com/1514275/...xas-wind-power
    https://www.pjstar.com/article/20090709/News/307099829

Solar has other issues. Water consumption is high due to the cleaning requirements and this is a problem in desert regions. Clearing land and the solar arrays create urban heat island effects (in the worst cases, the "bird cookers") that disrupt local weather patterns. PV solar has a service life of 15 to 30 years depending on the panels used.

It's all stupidity. To match one nuclear plant 24/7 you need roughly a solar array 75 to 100 miles on a side. Can you imagine every bit of desert between LA and Phoenix paved over in solar panels to provide power? That's what we're looking at here. It's insane.

You see, if you want CO2 reduced, fine by me. But I want it done in a responsible and efficient way. That way is natural gas and nuclear, not wind and solar. Convincing the radicals on the Left is possible. I showed this guy nuclear was the answer and he bought in.

The guy on the right is Jonathan Paul an ALF terrorist. Yep, met him and showed him the light. Also told him how to fix the roof leaks on his house...
    Of course the problem with nuclear is the incredibly dangerous waste. Nuclear isn't practical until we can figure out fusion.

13. #2500 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitherin' View Post
    I was listening to an interesting programme on Aids (BBC 4) last night, and it was similar under Reagan. His regime ignored it until some very strong and well-publicised demos brought him to heel.
    Is that so?

14. #2501 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Of course the problem with nuclear is the incredibly dangerous waste. Nuclear isn't practical until we can figure out fusion.
    Actually that isn't that much of a problem. The waste is almost entirely long lived alpha and beta emitters that decay at a very slow rate. Stored in a repository like Yucca Mountain, this waste poses no hazard. The casks for storage are nearly indestructible. On top of that, if we really wanted to, we could reprocess the waste into usable materials like the French already do.

15. #2502 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post
    Jesus wept, how many times has some idiot said the wind is free? What is the working life of those huge offshore turbines, the environment is incredibly hostile. I can't see them lasting more than 20 years at most, wind turbines are found to lose 1.6 ± 0.2% of their output per year, with average load factors declining from 28.5% when new to 21% at age 19. Then there is the question of decommissioning and disposal of huge glass fibre blades.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...60148113005727
    I wasn't educated as an engineer but it seems to me that if we're going the non-fossil fuel offshore route maybe tidal generators are something to look at and develop.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightbringer For This Post:

17. #2503 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Actually that isn't that much of a problem. The waste is almost entirely long lived alpha and beta emitters that decay at a very slow rate. Stored in a repository like Yucca Mountain, this waste poses no hazard. The casks for storage are nearly indestructible. On top of that, if we really wanted to, we could reprocess the waste into usable materials like the French already do.
    Fourth gen nuclear will be able to use nuclear waste aka partially spent fuel. It's amazing the number of idiots that just spout the same old bollocks over and over!
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 09-22-2020 at 02:08 AM.

18. #2504 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    Greta Thunberg

'This is me at the age of 2. The picture was taken 2005 in France.
    Since then about one third of ALL the world’s fossil fuel CO2 emissions have occurred. Over half of our CO2 emissions have taken place since 1990.

Troll trap. Here they come ;
    What a lying cunt!! How the fuck did you think you could get away with such massive lies? Did you think you could sand blast them away?

co2_global_mauna_loa.jpg
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 09-22-2020 at 02:51 AM.

19. #2505 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's never been practical. Its costs are astronomical and waste disposal costs even more than that- if you can discover the safe places to put it that don't exist.

Maria Ressa.

20. The Following User Groans At moon For This Awful Post: