Thread: First speeding ticket in 20 years

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default First speeding ticket in 20 years

This was in Upstate NY last week and I pulled out, turning left, from a side road onto a low volume but high speed two lane. There was a car way down the road to my right and after stopping, checking both ways, accelerated briskly onto the highway. The guy behind me was gaining quickly so I got it up past the speed limit before I started my coast down to cruising speed. It was a cop and he bagged me doing 71 in a 55.

Not sure if I should hire an attorney of just pay it. I don't give a shit about the fine only my insurance.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,441 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 265 Times in 242 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    This was in Upstate NY last week and I pulled out, turning left, from a side road onto a low volume but high speed two lane. There was a car way down the road to my right and after stopping, checking both ways, accelerated briskly onto the highway. The guy behind me was gaining quickly so I got it up past the speed limit before I started my coast down to cruising speed. It was a cop and he bagged me doing 71 in a 55.

Not sure if I should hire an attorney of just pay it. I don't give a shit about the fine only my insurance.
    These days, you are probably facing a revenue generation machine. I got pulled over in the finger lakes region for a similar offense about 30 years ago, and was let off with a warning and thanks for my military service.
    The Truth Does Not Need To Be Supported With Censorship.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Going "71 in 55" ain't going help your cause, kinda tough fighting that

4. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Phantasmal (09-23-2019)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evmetro View Post
    These days, you are probably facing a revenue generation machine. I got pulled over in the finger lakes region for a similar offense about 30 years ago, and was let off with a warning and thanks for my military service.

My week-long road trip took us into six states. Out of all, we saw the most "revenuers" in NYS. The only exception was on I40 close to home, here in NC, where they were doing a saturation in the five-mile long construction zone.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My week-long road trip took us into six states. Out of all, we saw the most "revenuers" in NYS. The only exception was on I40 close to home, here in NC, where they were doing a saturation in the five-mile long construction zone.
    And out of curiosity, where were you in Upstate NY? I was born in that area

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

you can't fight city hall

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 429 Times in 408 Posts
    Blog Entries

You were caught speeding.

Don't be a cunt and own it.

9. The Following User Groans At CharacterAssassin For This Awful Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (09-23-2019)

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Punch View Post
    you can't fight city hall
    It's easy to fight a speeding ticket, just hire a lawyer and have them handle it. Last time I had to fake that my speedo had stopped working. Blow the fuse that powers it, get a receipt from a shop showing that you got it fixed. So my infraction got reduced from speeding to improper equipment.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

I would just apply for a deferred adjudiication if you have no other tickets in that state.

You still have to pay the fine, but it is immediately removed from your driving record!

The state of NY may not allow it if you are from out of state! But, I would check it out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Adolf_Twitler For This Post:

MAGA MAN (09-23-2019)

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    And out of curiosity, where were you in Upstate NY? I was born in that area
    I lived there between 1986-1997. Syracuse and surrounding area. It's the eastern-most mid-west city, very laid back attitudes. I loved it up there. Lived on two acres in the country and it was so quiet that you could hear the groundwater in the spring after the snow had melted. Met lots of nice folks up there and are still in contact with many of them.

We used to Nordic ski out my back yard and through my south neighbor's corn field. I had plans to build a rope tow from my barn, down through my west neighbors' back yards, powered by my '56 International tractor to make a 1500' ski run.

I had a '69 F100 winter rat that I loved driving in the snow. I had a granite slab from an old toilet stall in the back for weight; with studded snow tires it was unstoppable.

I also had a 10HP track drive snow thrower that would eat a 24" snowfall in 45 minutes. I needed it because the snow drifted constantly, and many days durint the long wither I had to use it twice. Once to get out to work and a second time to get back in after work and shopping.

Heated the place with wood on a Vermont Castings top-loader. Oil heat was our backup.

Had a 30x40 machinery barn that I heated with an old oil furnace and burned waste oil in it. I had my '66 Mustang, '64 TBird, my tractor and whatever summer car was in there during the winter. Once/ month I'd host a 25-cent poker game there and we had a bucket of snow to keep the beer cold and pissed in the compost pile behind the barn.

Had a one-night-per-week season pass at Toggenberg mountain, 20 minutes down the road. Cost $40 back then. I used to go with a friend and we'd put on layers of clothes and still freeze our asses off on the chairlift, ten below and 30 mile/ hour wind.

Great times.

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I lived there between 1986-1997. Syracuse and surrounding area. It's the eastern-most mid-west city, very laid back attitudes. I loved it up there. Lived on two acres in the country and it was so quiet that you could hear the groundwater in the spring after the snow had melted. Met lots of nice folks up there and are still in contact with many of them.

We used to Nordic ski out my back yard and through my south neighbor's corn field. I had plans to build a rope tow from my barn, down through my west neighbors' back yards, powered by my '56 International tractor to make a 1500' ski run.

I had a '69 F100 winter rat that I loved driving in the snow. I had a granite slab from an old toilet stall in the back for weight; with studded snow tires it was unstoppable.

I also had a 10HP track drive snow thrower that would eat a 24" snowfall in 45 minutes. I needed it because the snow drifted constantly, and many days durint the long wither I had to use it twice. Once to get out to work and a second time to get back in after work and shopping.

Heated the place with wood on a Vermont Castings top-loader. Oil heat was our backup.

Had a 30x40 machinery barn that I heated with an old oil furnace and burned waste oil in it. I had my '66 Mustang, '64 TBird, my tractor and whatever summer car was in there during the winter. Once/ month I'd host a 25-cent poker game there and we had a bucket of snow to keep the beer cold and pissed in the compost pile behind the barn.

Had a one-night-per-week season pass at Toggenberg mountain, 20 minutes down the road. Cost $40 back then. I used to go with a friend and we'd put on layers of clothes and still freeze our asses off on the chairlift, ten below and 30 mile/ hour wind.

Great times.
    Pretty area, actually most of NY State is very scenic, never knew that the biggest park in the United States was in New York, and I was born in Saratoga just south of the Adirondack Park. Been to Syracuse, football, basketball, and State Fair

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Pretty area, actually most of NY State is very scenic, never knew that the biggest park in the United States was in New York, and I was born in Saratoga just south of the Adirondack Park. Been to Syracuse, football, basketball, and State Fair
    I did a lot of work for clients in that region, the Finger Lakes and Adirondacks. Several clients north of the Adirondacks; they were practically Canadians.

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Great times.
    8 months a year in Up State NY is great!

And then there is that White-Out. LOL!

Just kidding! I always enjoy visiting Up State NY! Life can actually be much simpler by living there.

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 2,917 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 325 Times in 306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterAssassin View Post
    You were caught speeding.

Don't be a cunt and own it.
    There's always one MORON in the bunch that posts an idiotic and profane response.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2020.2 For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (09-24-2019), MAGA MAN (09-23-2019)

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 429 Times in 408 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven VanderMolen View Post
    There's always one MORON in the bunch that posts an idiotic and profane response.
    There's always butthurt little bitch in the bunch whining about profanity.

Grow a pair, Tinkerbell.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CharacterAssassin For This Post:

Adolf_Twitler (09-23-2019)