Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 81

Thread: Coolest Thing You Ever Did as an Adult

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    23,141
    Thanks
    40,992
    Thanked 16,436 Times in 10,245 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,282 Times in 1,220 Posts

    Default Coolest Thing You Ever Did as an Adult

    Tell us your stories.... and pics if you have 'em.

    I have extreme fear of heights, but I've flown small planes (Cessna) a few times. When my late husband passed, one of the guys at the local VFW offered to take me up in a rented 152 to scatter his ashes over the rivers and woodlands that he loved. Every time I would open the window to fling some out, and start crying again, he would take his hands off the controls and tell me to fly her. I met that guy many decades ago when we both worked at McDonnell-Douglas. He is a USAF veteran. He knew my late husband because of the local VFW hall we supported. He knew how to comfort a widow in the best way.

    Despite my sorrow, that windy stormy March day in 2005 gave me the love of flying in small craft. It was absolutely terrifying. I'm glad I did it anyways! I took flying lessons at that airport (which is no more) for a year, but never did get my license. Also did parasailing which is even more scary.

    Your stories?

    Me! lol

    “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

    Cypress (09-22-2019), evince (09-22-2019)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    17,540
    Thanks
    8,282
    Thanked 4,951 Times in 3,887 Posts
    Groans
    288
    Groaned 703 Times in 653 Posts

    Default

    Had kids. That was pretty cool.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack For This Post:

    evince (09-22-2019), TOP (09-21-2019)

  5. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    In my house
    Posts
    9,920
    Thanks
    1,054
    Thanked 2,924 Times in 2,295 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 242 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    One thing i guess im proud of was rescuing a couple kids caught in a rip tide on a barrier island off South Carolina.

    I had been watching these two brothers messing around in the surf and getting further and further away from shore.

    I knew it was just a matter of time before they drifted into a rip tide and sure enough i saw the panic hit them that they were no longer in control.

    I had found myself in that position many years earlier and was fortunate that my oldest brother noticed and drug me back to safety.

    I went out since mom and dad were not paying attention. I got to the older one and got him back under control and sent him off to his parents and went for the other. It was worse by that time and I was struggling to keep us both afloat while trying to get away from the rip tide. Daddio finally showed up and I got his kid to him and myself back under control.

    Scary but I was glad to return the favor my brother had lent me.

    Two days later my idiot sister-in-law was headed out to sea in a rather more vigorous tide. I drug her back as well. Prolly a bad idea given my history since but who knew.

    Moral of the story: respect the ocean. She is powerful and you are no match. I was lucky more than once. I wont be so foolish again.
    Just because you don't understand it does not make it bad. Celticguy

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

    evince (09-22-2019), guno (09-21-2019), Mott the Hoople (09-21-2019), ThatOwlWoman (09-21-2019)

  7. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    23,141
    Thanks
    40,992
    Thanked 16,436 Times in 10,245 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,282 Times in 1,220 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    One thing i guess im proud of was rescuing a couple kids caught in a rip tide on a barrier island off South Carolina.

    I had been watching these two brothers messing around in the surf and getting further and further away from shore.

    I knew it was just a matter of time before they drifted into a rip tide and sure enough i saw the panic hit them that they were no longer in control.

    I had found myself in that position many years earlier and was fortunate that my oldest brother noticed and drug me back to safety.

    I went out since mom and dad were not paying attention. I got to the older one and got him back under control and sent him off to his parents and went for the other. It was worse by that time and I was struggling to keep us both afloat while trying to get away from the rip tide. Daddio finally showed up and I got his kid to him and myself back under control.

    Scary but I was glad to return the favor my brother had lent me.

    Two days later my idiot sister-in-law was headed out to sea in a rather more vigorous tide. I drug her back as well. Prolly a bad idea given my history since but who knew.

    Moral of the story: respect the ocean. She is powerful and you are no match. I was lucky more than once. I wont be so foolish again.
    Love your story, Hero Dude!
    “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

    evince (09-22-2019)

  9. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    23,141
    Thanks
    40,992
    Thanked 16,436 Times in 10,245 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,282 Times in 1,220 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Had kids. That was pretty cool.
    Like... gave birth? Damn, impressive!
    “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

    evince (09-22-2019)

  11. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    9,788
    Thanks
    2,894
    Thanked 6,197 Times in 4,127 Posts
    Groans
    422
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Tell us your stories.... and pics if you have 'em.

    I have extreme fear of heights, but I've flown small planes (Cessna) a few times. When my late husband passed, one of the guys at the local VFW offered to take me up in a rented 152 to scatter his ashes over the rivers and woodlands that he loved. Every time I would open the window to fling some out, and start crying again, he would take his hands off the controls and tell me to fly her. I met that guy many decades ago when we both worked at McDonnell-Douglas. He is a USAF veteran. He knew my late husband because of the local VFW hall we supported. He knew how to comfort a widow in the best way.

    Despite my sorrow, that windy stormy March day in 2005 gave me the love of flying in small craft. It was absolutely terrifying. I'm glad I did it anyways! I took flying lessons at that airport (which is no more) for a year, but never did get my license. Also did parasailing which is even more scary.

    Your stories?

    Me! lol

    What else would I say besides travel? Well, I did use to make my own hand-kneaded bread.

  12. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    81,781
    Thanks
    4,301
    Thanked 20,698 Times in 16,870 Posts
    Groans
    1,976
    Groaned 2,098 Times in 1,995 Posts

    Default

    raised two kids.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

    Dark Soul (09-21-2019), Evmetro (09-22-2019)

  14. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    26,055
    Thanks
    15,599
    Thanked 8,165 Times in 6,423 Posts
    Groans
    2,188
    Groaned 1,041 Times in 948 Posts

    Default

    Raised two kids into responsible, conservative voting adults.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Soul For This Post:

    Evmetro (09-22-2019)

  16. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    NC originally from NYC
    Posts
    10,715
    Thanks
    26,112
    Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,221 Posts
    Groans
    50
    Groaned 730 Times in 683 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Raised two educated children who are now professionals , Seven grand-kids, 3 who completed college, 2 of those who finished grad school and one in Med school, the younger ones still in grade school , they will be going to college

    Went sky diving at age 60

  17. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    26,055
    Thanks
    15,599
    Thanked 8,165 Times in 6,423 Posts
    Groans
    2,188
    Groaned 1,041 Times in 948 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Raised two educated children who are now professionals , Seven grand-kids, 3 who completed college, 2 of those who finished grad school and one in Med school, the younger ones still in grade school , they will be going to college

    Went sky diving at age 60
    Old as dirt and still voting Democrat. Pitiful life...

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Soul For This Post:

    Evmetro (09-22-2019)

  19. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    NC originally from NYC
    Posts
    10,715
    Thanks
    26,112
    Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,221 Posts
    Groans
    50
    Groaned 730 Times in 683 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    Old as dirt and still voting Democrat. Pitiful life...
    Education you and yours should try it

  20. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Blue Ridge
    Posts
    26,055
    Thanks
    15,599
    Thanked 8,165 Times in 6,423 Posts
    Groans
    2,188
    Groaned 1,041 Times in 948 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Education you and yours should try it
    Educate yourself and learn to write basic sentences. LOL

  21. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    19,030
    Thanks
    7,095
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    433
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Tell us your stories.... and pics if you have 'em.

    I have extreme fear of heights, but I've flown small planes (Cessna) a few times. When my late husband passed, one of the guys at the local VFW offered to take me up in a rented 152 to scatter his ashes over the rivers and woodlands that he loved. Every time I would open the window to fling some out, and start crying again, he would take his hands off the controls and tell me to fly her. I met that guy many decades ago when we both worked at McDonnell-Douglas. He is a USAF veteran. He knew my late husband because of the local VFW hall we supported. He knew how to comfort a widow in the best way.

    Despite my sorrow, that windy stormy March day in 2005 gave me the love of flying in small craft. It was absolutely terrifying. I'm glad I did it anyways! I took flying lessons at that airport (which is no more) for a year, but never did get my license. Also did parasailing which is even more scary.

    Your stories?

    Me! lol

    AWESOME!!!! I (presently) would like my kinds to spread my ashes down @ the river I have kayaked on over 500 times... They could do it off the bridge but that might be to easy for them...

    I would love to hear more.

    "Corporate America today is the lobbying arm of the Chinese Communist Party and Wall Street is the investor relations department," Steve Bannon.

    "Tell the truth, I think, for a change," Carter told MSNBC when asked what advice he would give Trump.

  22. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    19,030
    Thanks
    7,095
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    433
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Had kids. That was pretty cool.
    First thing I thought of, but it sounded boring, & you made it sound even more so.....

    But it is a great gift, often over looked & under appreciated until it is late or to late.

    "Corporate America today is the lobbying arm of the Chinese Communist Party and Wall Street is the investor relations department," Steve Bannon.

    "Tell the truth, I think, for a change," Carter told MSNBC when asked what advice he would give Trump.

  23. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    19,030
    Thanks
    7,095
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    433
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    One thing i guess im proud of was rescuing a couple kids caught in a rip tide on a barrier island off South Carolina.

    I had been watching these two brothers messing around in the surf and getting further and further away from shore.

    I knew it was just a matter of time before they drifted into a rip tide and sure enough i saw the panic hit them that they were no longer in control.

    I had found myself in that position many years earlier and was fortunate that my oldest brother noticed and drug me back to safety.

    I went out since mom and dad were not paying attention. I got to the older one and got him back under control and sent him off to his parents and went for the other. It was worse by that time and I was struggling to keep us both afloat while trying to get away from the rip tide. Daddio finally showed up and I got his kid to him and myself back under control.

    Scary but I was glad to return the favor my brother had lent me.

    Two days later my idiot sister-in-law was headed out to sea in a rather more vigorous tide. I drug her back as well. Prolly a bad idea given my history since but who knew.

    Moral of the story: respect the ocean. She is powerful and you are no match. I was lucky more than once. I wont be so foolish again.
    great job!!!

    "Corporate America today is the lobbying arm of the Chinese Communist Party and Wall Street is the investor relations department," Steve Bannon.

    "Tell the truth, I think, for a change," Carter told MSNBC when asked what advice he would give Trump.

Similar Threads

  1. The 50 Coolest Inventions From All 50 States!
    By signalmankenneth in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-01-2014, 08:48 PM
  2. Is the coolest or the most worthless invention ever created?
    By Havana Moon in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-21-2012, 09:46 AM
  3. Coolest recycling (and solar) use I have seen to date!
    By Damocles in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-02-2012, 02:29 PM
  4. The coolest thing about Australia's new P.M.
    By Cypress in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-28-2007, 06:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •