Thread: Trump 'Stole' Mar-A-Lago With Dirty Trick, Raised Rates As President, Cost Taxpayers

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Trump 'Stole' Mar-A-Lago With Dirty Trick, Raised Rates As President, Cost Taxpayers

Got it for ten cents on the dollar:

"Marjorie Merriweather Post, heiress to the Post Cereals business, paid for the house to be built with her husband Edward F. Hutton. She hired Marion Sims Wyeth to design it, and Joseph Urban to create interior design and exterior decorations.[11][12] Post spent $7 million ($90 million today) and it was finished in 1927.[13] The house has 58 bedrooms, 33 bathrooms, a 29-foot-long (8.8 m) pietra dura marble top dining table, 12 fireplaces, and three bomb shelters. Mar-a-Lago was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1980.[3][14][15] On April 18, 2012, the American Institute of Architects' Florida Chapter ranked Mar-a-Lago fifth on its list of Florida Architecture: 100 Years. 100 Places.[16]

At the time of her death in 1973, Post bequeathed the property to the National Park Service, hoping it could be used for state visits or as a Winter White House, but because the costs of maintaining the property exceeded the funds provided by Post, and it was difficult to secure the facility (as it is located in the flight path of Palm Beach Airport), [high taxpayer cost] the property was returned to the Post Foundation by an Act of Congress in 1981.[5]

Post, who died in 1973, willed the 17-acre (6.9 ha) estate to the United States government as a Winter White House for presidents and visiting foreign dignitaries.[17] Richard Nixon preferred the Florida White House in Key Biscayne, however, and Jimmy Carter was not interested. [HE was a thrifty man!] The federal government soon realized the immense cost of maintenance, and the difficulty maintaining security for diplomats,[18] and returned it to the Post Foundation in 1981. It was then listed for sale for $20 million. Dina Merrill and Post's two other daughters did not maintain the property in the meanwhile, expecting to sell it.[19] But there was so little interest, the city approved its demolition to build smaller homes.[20]"

Dirty Trick:

"Donald Trump learned about the estate after unsuccessfully trying to purchase and combine two apartments in Palm Beach for his family. According to Trump, he offered the Post family $15 million for it, but they rejected it. Trump purchased the land between Mar-a-Lago and the ocean from Jack C. Massey, the former owner of KFC, for $2 million,[21] stating he intended to build a home that would block Mar-a-Lago's beach view. The threat caused interest in the property to decline, and Trump ended up getting the property for $7 million in 1985.[22][19] Trump then renovated the estate, adding a 20,000-square-foot (1,900 m2) ballroom.[20] The club also has five clay tennis courts and a waterfront pool.

In the early 1990s, Trump faced financial difficulties. While negotiating with his bankers, he promised to divide Mar-a-Lago into smaller properties, alarming Palm Beach residents; so the city council rejected his plan to do so. Trump instead turned the estate into a private club that—unlike other Palm Beach old money resorts like the Bath and Tennis Club and Everglades Club—accepted Jewish people and African-Americans as members.[23]

The new club hosted concerts by Céline Dion and Billy Joel, had beauty-pageant contestants as guests, and Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley spent their honeymoon at Mar-a-Lago.[20][19][24] Mar-a-Lago has frequently hosted the International Red Cross Ball, an annual "white tie, tails, and tiara" ball. Founded by Post, it has a history of attracting wealthy socialites and ambassadors from across the world in support of the mission of the American Red Cross.

In May 2019, it was reported revenue had dropped at Mar-a-Lago, while Trump's Washington, D.C., hotel, which opened months before the 2016 election, had a slight uptick in revenue from 2017.[25]"

Taxpayers footed hefty new bills for the President's extravagance:

"Trump's first visit to Mar-a-Lago as president of the United States [during his very first month] took place on the weekend of February 3–6, 2017. On Saturday, he hosted the Diamond Red Cross Ball at Mar-a-Lago Club,[31] while on Sunday, he watched Super Bowl LI at Trump International Golf Club (West Palm Beach). The estimated cost (over US$3 million) of the weekend garnered some scrutiny as Trump, before being elected, had regularly criticized President Barack Obama for taking allegedly expensive taxpayer-funded vacations.[32]"

How Trump Used Dirty Tricks To 'Steal' Mar-A-Lago (wiki)

"Mar-a-Lago, the Palm Beach resort owned by the Trump Organization, doubled its initiation fee to $200,000 following the election of Donald Trump as president. ...

A spokesperson for the Trump Organization did not respond to CNBC’s request for comment. But the timing is likely to add to criticism that the Trump Organization is trying to benefit from the president’s election.

Indeed, shortly after the fee hike was revealed, Barack Obama’s former top ethics lawyer told MSNBC that the increase is a “not very subtle exploitation of the fact that the club’s figurehead is now president of the U.S.”

“This type of naked profiteering off of a government office is what I would expect from King Louis XVI or his modern kleptocratic equivalents, not an American president,” Norm Eisen said."

Mar-A-Lago doubles fees once Trump was elected

Naked greed surrounds the place:

"There’s no way of knowing whether demand for memberships has grown. The initiation fee for Mar-a-Lago had been $100,000 since 2012, when it was cut from $200,000. People close to the resort said the fee was reduced following a decline in memberships after the Bernie Madoff scandal, which claimed many wealthy Palm Beach victims."

Impacts Include Ruining Local Business:

"When the president is in residence the Palm Beach region becomes a zone of temporary flight restrictions[57] affecting flights and air operations severely within a 30 nautical mile (55.56 km) radius.[58] Coast Guard and Secret Service secure the two waterway approaches, ocean and lake, and Secret Service cordons off streets to Mar-a-Lago during the president's visits. Coast Guard also attaches an elite Maritime Safety and Security Team to specialize with maritime security.[59] By the third weekend in February 2017, nearby Palm Beach County Park Airport (Lantana Airport) had been shut down for three consecutive weekends, accumulating significant financial losses for multiple businesses.[60]"
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-20-2019), Phantasmal (09-20-2019), ThatOwlWoman (09-25-2019), Trumpet (09-30-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Default US Federal Deficit Now Tops One Trillion Dollars:

US Federal Deficit Now Tops One Trillion Dollars:

Debt Clock

$1,013,012,000,000

That's the amount OVER what we pull as tax revenue the government is spending each year with Trump as president.

The Federal Debt is now closing in on 23 Trillion:

$22,557,000,000,000
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Typical Trump deal making.

a) Get an edge.

b) Exploit it.

c) Care not who gets shafted. Other people's concerns are unimportant.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 948 Times in 862 Posts

Trump has no trouble personally profiting from the presidency. It was all about himself. He thinks he owns the US now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gonzomin For This Post:

Trumpet (09-30-2019)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Gonzomin,

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    Trump has no trouble personally profiting from the presidency. It was all about himself. He thinks he owns the US now.
    Trump is a rip-off artist, a total conman.

He lacks the self-confidence to believe in himself and his ability to make it in this world without exploiting some kind of angle or edge.

He doesn't think he can measure up to the common man, is afraid to try, always wants to dominate from a position of power.

He wouldn't know which end of a hammer or paintbrush to hold. I bet he owns no tools, isn't handy.

I doubt there is anything he has which was not gotten through some dirty trick.

And that includes the millions he inherited from his father, another conman.

As a matter of fact he comes from a long line of conmen.

It is in his history to rip people off under the guise of a legitimate business.

All fanfare and no backbone.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (09-25-2019), Trumpet (09-30-2019)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,821 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 610 Times in 560 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post

Debt Clock

$1,013,012,000,000

That's the amount OVER what we pull as tax revenue the government is spending each year with Trump as president.

$22,557,000,000,000
    Nancy Pelosi & your democrat friends & heroes control the House of Congress where every dime of spending is determined, approved & allotted, but the deficit of course in fucking lefty land belongs to Donald Trump. Hypocrisy & radical partisanism is your strongest talent & most obvious mental defect.
    "Government is force by definition and corruption by nature. The bigger the government, the greater the force and the greater the corruption."

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Debt Clock

$1,013,012,000,000

$22,557,000,000,000
    Yeah but Obama.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

PoliTalker (09-30-2019), Trumpet (09-30-2019)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 69 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump 'Stole' Mar-A-Lago With Dirty Trick, Raised Rates As President, Cost Taxpayers
    So, you were crying in another thread about people carping at each other, then you post a stupid ignorant thread title like this? Fucking hypocrite moron.

Got it for ten cents on the dollar
    Ahhh, so HE is smart and YOU are jealous. We get it.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Yeah but Obama.
    Obama had a smaller government with Trump, who has expanded the number of federal employees beyond the size of Obama's government. Also, Trump has spent like crazy but reduced revenue with the tax cut for the rich act. The federal deficit is now 1.1 TRILLION. That's not the debt. That's the amount that gets added ONTO THE DEBT of currently 22.6 TRILLION every year. That means by next year this time we are looking at 23.7 Trillion in debt, thanks to Trump, the same guy who said he would completely eliminate the debt within 8 years.

The economy may have improved but not enough to offset the cost of the tax cut for the rich act.

That means the rich now get richer at all of our expense. The richer they get, the more in debt we are.

A great deal for the rich.

Make being rich great again!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (09-30-2019)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

Obama had a smaller government with Trump, who has expanded the number of federal employees beyond the size of Obama's government. Also, Trump has spent like crazy but reduced revenue with the tax cut for the rich act. The federal deficit is now 1.1 TRILLION. That's not the debt. That's the amount that gets added ONTO THE DEBT of currently 22.6 TRILLION every year. That means by next year this time we are looking at 23.7 Trillion in debt, thanks to Trump, the same guy who said he would completely eliminate the debt within 8 years.

The economy may have improved but not enough to offset the cost of the tax cut for the rich act.

That means the rich now get richer at all of our expense. The richer they get, the more in debt we are.

A great deal for the rich.

Make being rich great again!
    National debt in one graph:

"Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 158 Times in 148 Posts

What .... you mean the tax we have to pay on Obama’s $10 TRILLION ? !!!!!!!

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,786 Times in 32,152 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump instead turned the estate into a private club that—unlike other Palm Beach old money resorts like the Bath and Tennis Club and Everglades Club—accepted Jewish people and African-Americans as members. "
    wait, I thought he was racist........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,786 Times in 32,152 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's the amount that gets added ONTO THE DEBT of currently 22.6 TRILLION every year. That means by next year this time we are looking at 23.7 Trillion in debt,
    interesting.....so what you are saying is that while Obama took the national debt from $10T to $20T in eight years, Trump will take it from $20T to $23.7T in four years?........excellent job of cutting spending, Trump......and he did it after cutting taxes......do it again in your second term.......(if we take back the House in 2020 and keep the senate he can probably do even better).......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”