Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is 11,000 a psyhchological barrier in the market ?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Is 11,000 a psyhchological barrier in the market ?

Will despair prevail once the market drops below that 11,000 mark ?

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Bump ?

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't think so.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What was Chap talking about in his other subsequent thread then ? Capitulation ?
    I am not sure what that means in relation to the market.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It appears that Chap and others seem to think 11k is a psychological barrier for the mkt. Or at least they are hoping it is.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    It appears that Chap and others seem to think 11k is a psychological barrier for the mkt. Or at least they are hoping it is.
    Chap and others are hoping for despair?

Link, please.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I did not say that. See the Capitulation thread.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

its an investor term to indicate a absolute bottom:

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/189.asp

And based on yesterdays market action I may be right. Lots on the street seem to think so.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Absolute bottom ? Hanging on to desperate fantasies there ?

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I did not say that. See the Capitulation thread.
    Capitulation does not mean psychological barrier. And your definition of it was the prevalence of despair. So. When you said Chap and others were hoping for your psychological barrier, I assumed you were consistent in your definition.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Absolute bottom ? Hanging on to desperate fantasies there ?
    Think of it as a point in time where people start buying again because of bargain prices.

Only time will tell but there is always a bottom. Did I call it right? we will not know for a little longer.

Read my linked artical about the next bubble in the Capitulation threat. Kind of gives a nice 10,000 foot prediction.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

12. #12 | Top
    TRGLDTE Guest

I think a break under 10,000 (i.e. 9999) on the Dow would have a larger effect than breaking below 11,000. When the first digit rolls down, we have a problem.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 623 Times in 562 Posts

I think there's plenty of dispare in the market already but don't think it's due to technical indicators. I hear zip lately about the phschology of the 1,000 but on the way up CNBC was obsessed with it.
    I don't doubt a lot of traders will sell when it's breached driving it down more.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
    I think there's plenty of dispare in the market already but don't think it's due to technical indicators. I hear zip lately about the phschology of the 1,000 but on the way up CNBC was obsessed with it.
    I don't doubt a lot of traders will sell when it's breached driving it down more.
    Thus making them discounted and, if you are smart, a good time to buy.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

15. #15 | Top
    TRGLDTE Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Thus making them discounted and, if you are smart, a good time to buy.
    Do you like to bottom feed? Do play the dead cat bounce?