Thread: North America Has Lost 3 Billion Birds, Scientists Say

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,422 Times in 53,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Are you people fucking kidding me? Are we really expected to believe that Liberals are concerned about birds, while promoting wind energy which kills birds and bats by the Millions? Seriously, get the fuck out of here.
    Enjoy Post #15. That's about how I see you assholes and how much you care about this planet and our fellow passengers.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

2. The Following User Groans At ThatOwlWoman For This Awful Post:

MAGA MAN (09-19-2019)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-19-2019)

4. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Over the past half-century, North America has lost more than a quarter of its entire bird population, or around 3 billion birds.

That's according to a new estimate published in the journal Science by researchers who brought together a variety of information that has been collected on 529 bird species since 1970.

"We saw this tremendous net loss across the entire bird community," says Ken Rosenberg, an applied conservation scientist at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology in Ithaca, N.Y. "By our estimates, it's a 30% loss in the total number of breeding birds."

Rosenberg and his colleagues already knew that a number of bird populations had been decreasing.

Their results show that more than 90% of the loss can be attributed to just a dozen bird families, including sparrows, warblers, blackbirds and finches.

Common birds with decreasing populations include meadowlarks, dark-eyed juncos, horned larks and red-winged blackbirds, says Rosenberg. Grassland birds have suffered a 53% decrease in their numbers, and more than a third of the shorebird population has been lost.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/19/76209...scientists-say
    Yeah....its not like "extinction" has ever happened before on earth. The question is what liberal cause will now become in vouge and demand tax payer monies be thrown a problem they can do nothing about...like THE WEATHER? Perhaps the left wing wind turbines used to generate GREEN ENERGY are killing more of the little fellows than anyone realizes?

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,710 Times in 27,343 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    In all fairness to our Reichwing friends, I *have* seen them advocate for *some* environmental issues, mostly those pertaining to deer and other wild game. That's so that they have something to shoot besides each other, school kids, and ppl at concerts and in night clubs.

I wish we could tag ppl on here because some kneejerkers need to get a knee.... in the groin.... figuratively speaking, of course.
    Ha,nice work !

Hunting has its small role to play, but the biological integrity of the planet goes way beyond preseving habit for game animals.

There are actually very few dedicated hunters on this board and cons have never shown a genuine interest in preserving the environment or protecting wildlife if you go by the threads they start .

The way cons were leaping for joy when trump nixed Californias plan to increase fuel efficiency standards is the perfect metaphor for how cons feel about environment and conservation

6. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

MAGA MAN (09-19-2019)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-19-2019)

8. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Ha,nice work !

Hunting has its small role to play, but the biological integrity of the planet goes way beyond preseving habit for game animals.

There are actually very few dedicated hunters on this board and cons have never shown a genuine interest in preserving the environment or protecting wildlife if you go by the threads they start .

The way cons were leaping for joy when trump nixed Californias plan to increase fuel efficiency standards is the perfect metaphor for how cons feel about environment and conservation
    ^ Sadly true. They've been conditioned to think of environmental protection laws as infringement on citizens' property rights (which apparently include the right to dump all kinds of waste on one's property w/o regard to where it might eventually end up), stifling industry and business and is thus anti-capitalist, and some kind of loony lib idea ala the 1960s Flower Children thing. The understanding of our intimate interconnection with all of this planet's life, and its connection to us, is beyond their ken and so is thus dismissed as some kind of lefty libtard Disney nonsense.

Here's some "nonsense" for them:

“The frog does not drink up the pond in which he lives.” —Native American Proverb

“One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.” —Crazy Horse

“When the earth is sick, the animals will begin to disappear. When that happens, The Warriors of the Rainbow will come to save them.” —Chief Seattle

“We must protect the forests for our children, grandchildren and children yet to be born. We must protect the forests for those who can’t speak for themselves such as the birds, animals, fish and trees.” —Qwatsinas (Hereditary Chief Edward Moody), Nuxalk Nation

“I love the land of winding waters more than all the rest of the world. A man who would not love his father’s grave is worse than a wild animal.” —Chief Joseph

“I was warmed by the sun, rocked by the winds and sheltered by the trees, as other Indian babes. I can go everywhere with a good feeling.” —Geronimo

“The land is sacred. These words are at the core of your being. The land is our mother, the rivers our blood. Take our land away and we die. That is, the Indian in us dies.” —Mary Brave Bird

The Great Spirit is in all things: he is in the air we breathe. The Great Spirit is our father, but the earth is our mother. She nourishes us; that which we put into the ground she returns to us.” —Big Thunder (Bedagi) Wabanaki Algonquin

“Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents—it was loaned to you by your children.” —Indian proverb

“Man’s heart, away from nature, becomes hard.” —Luther Standing Bear
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (09-19-2019)

10. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

^ Sadly true. They've been conditioned to think of environmental protection laws as infringement on citizens' property rights (which apparently include the right to dump all kinds of waste on one's property w/o regard to where it might eventually end up), stifling industry and business and is thus anti-capitalist, and some kind of loony lib idea ala the 1960s Flower Children thing. The understanding of our intimate interconnection with all of this planet's life, and its connection to us, is beyond their ken and so is thus dismissed as some kind of lefty libtard Disney nonsense.

Here's some "nonsense" for them:

“The frog does not drink up the pond in which he lives.” —Native American Proverb

“One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.” —Crazy Horse

“When the earth is sick, the animals will begin to disappear. When that happens, The Warriors of the Rainbow will come to save them.” —Chief Seattle

“We must protect the forests for our children, grandchildren and children yet to be born. We must protect the forests for those who can’t speak for themselves such as the birds, animals, fish and trees.” —Qwatsinas (Hereditary Chief Edward Moody), Nuxalk Nation

“I love the land of winding waters more than all the rest of the world. A man who would not love his father’s grave is worse than a wild animal.” —Chief Joseph

“I was warmed by the sun, rocked by the winds and sheltered by the trees, as other Indian babes. I can go everywhere with a good feeling.” —Geronimo

“The land is sacred. These words are at the core of your being. The land is our mother, the rivers our blood. Take our land away and we die. That is, the Indian in us dies.” —Mary Brave Bird

The Great Spirit is in all things: he is in the air we breathe. The Great Spirit is our father, but the earth is our mother. She nourishes us; that which we put into the ground she returns to us.” —Big Thunder (Bedagi) Wabanaki Algonquin

“Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents—it was loaned to you by your children.” —Indian proverb

“Man’s heart, away from nature, becomes hard.” —Luther Standing Bear
    Great stuff

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (09-19-2019)

12. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    While libs pretend to care about the environment and wildlife, and promote wind energy which is literally decimating the avian population. Just because libs start a million threads pretending to care, doesn't make it so. You people are complete frauds.
    I have responded to this talking point ad naseum.

The energy sources I prefer , wind ,solar , biofuels, kill way, way, way,way,way ,way, way, way, way, way, way,way less birds than the energy sources you prefer, coal, oil, petroleum , nuclear.

And I gave you peer reviwed scientific research demonstating that to be the case.

13. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (09-20-2019)

14. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is a current event

15. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

That is a great idea actually.
    Amazon should buy them up. A single anchor store could be repurposed for warehousing, distribution and the remainder demolished and returned to natural. Acres of pavement into trees and lakes.

Unlike libs who write poetry and nonsense about conservation, conservatives actually have plans that make sense and can pay for themselves.

16. #24 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,617 Times in 17,056 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

In all fairness to our Reichwing friends, I *have* seen them advocate for *some* environmental issues, mostly those pertaining to deer and other wild game. That's so that they have something to shoot besides each other, school kids, and ppl at concerts and in night clubs.

I wish we could tag ppl on here because some kneejerkers need to get a knee.... in the groin.... figuratively speaking, of course.
    What do you think hunting license and stamp fees go to? Hunters have more respect for game and nature that you leftist loons do.

Some braindead libtards on here need to get a knee to the jaw.........figuratively speaking, of course
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

countryboy (09-20-2019), MAGA MAN (09-19-2019)

18. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    What do you think hunting license and stamp fees go to? Hunters have more respect for game and nature that you leftist loons do.
    Some braindead libtards on here need to get a knee to the jaw.........figuratively speaking, of course
    We'll accept your criticism when we see you guys start supporting state and federal legislation protecting our shared environment. Until then, I'll continue to make my little piece of this planet better for all who sojourn here with me.

19. #26 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,617 Times in 17,056 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

We'll accept your criticism when we see you guys start supporting state and federal legislation protecting our shared environment. Until then, I'll continue to make my little piece of this planet better for all who sojourn here with me.
    We'll accept your criticism when you donate as much as we do in license fees, which go to "protecting our shared environment."
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

20. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I have responded to this talking point ad naseum.

The energy sources I prefer , wind ,solar , biofuels, kill way, way, way,way,way ,way, way, way, way, way, way,way less birds than the energy sources you prefer, coal, oil, petroleum , nuclear.

And I gave you peer reviwed scientific research demonstating that to be the case.
    More bullshit from JPPs answer to Rasputin. More CO2 is regreening the Earth and providing more habitat for birds.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

MAGA MAN (09-20-2019)

22. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You should read this, you might just learn something for once.

https://app.spectator.co.uk/2019/09/...pig_index.html

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

MAGA MAN (09-20-2019), TOP (09-20-2019)

24. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good read.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (09-20-2019)

26. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Holy fuck, there's more than enough legislation in the US. How about you demand that China and India clean up their shit?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

countryboy (09-20-2019)