Thread: North America Has Lost 3 Billion Birds, Scientists Say

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,539 Times in 14,028 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default North America Has Lost 3 Billion Birds, Scientists Say

Over the past half-century, North America has lost more than a quarter of its entire bird population, or around 3 billion birds.

That's according to a new estimate published in the journal Science by researchers who brought together a variety of information that has been collected on 529 bird species since 1970.

"We saw this tremendous net loss across the entire bird community," says Ken Rosenberg, an applied conservation scientist at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology in Ithaca, N.Y. "By our estimates, it's a 30% loss in the total number of breeding birds."

Rosenberg and his colleagues already knew that a number of bird populations had been decreasing.

Their results show that more than 90% of the loss can be attributed to just a dozen bird families, including sparrows, warblers, blackbirds and finches.

Common birds with decreasing populations include meadowlarks, dark-eyed juncos, horned larks and red-winged blackbirds, says Rosenberg. Grassland birds have suffered a 53% decrease in their numbers, and more than a third of the shorebird population has been lost.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/19/76209...scientists-say
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

Cypress (09-19-2019)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just got done reading that on the NYT site. OMG. Our world is dying.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/19/s...ca-canada.html

"The skies are emptying out.

"The number of birds in the United States and Canada has fallen by 29 percent since 1970, scientists reported on Thursday. There are 2.9 billion fewer birds taking wing now than there were 50 years ago.

"The analysis, published in the journal Science, is the most exhaustive and ambitious attempt yet to learn what is happening to avian populations. The results have shocked researchers and conservation organizations.

"In a statement on Thursday, David Yarnold, president and chief executive of the National Audubon Society, called the findings “a full-blown crisis.”

"Experts have long known that some bird species have become vulnerable to extinction. But the new study, based on a broad survey of more than 500 species, reveals steep losses even among such traditionally abundant birds as robins and sparrows."
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (09-19-2019), Guno צְבִי (09-19-2019)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Just got done reading that on the NYT site. OMG. Our world is dying.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/19/s...ca-canada.html

"The skies are emptying out.

"The number of birds in the United States and Canada has fallen by 29 percent since 1970, scientists reported on Thursday. There are 2.9 billion fewer birds taking wing now than there were 50 years ago.

"The analysis, published in the journal Science, is the most exhaustive and ambitious attempt yet to learn what is happening to avian populations. The results have shocked researchers and conservation organizations.

"In a statement on Thursday, David Yarnold, president and chief executive of the National Audubon Society, called the findings “a full-blown crisis.”

"Experts have long known that some bird species have become vulnerable to extinction. But the new study, based on a broad survey of more than 500 species, reveals steep losses even among such traditionally abundant birds as robins and sparrows."
    scary
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Damn geese are taking over my 'hood.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    scary
    It's beyond scary; it is terrifying.

Looks like a vicious cycle going on.... fewer birds because of habitat loss and use of pesticides. Birds are our allies in controlling insects. Fewer birds = more pests, thus the need for increased use of pesticides, which in turn causes fewer birds.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-19-2019)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

All these malls that are dying or dead- level the buildings, plant hundreds of trees, build ponds and turn them into bird habitats.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Worth noting >>

In my entire message board career, I literally cannot remember a single thread started by a conservative stating any genuine concern for the environment, for wildlife, for the biological integrity of our planet.

I literally can never think of a time in the last three decades that Republican presidents and legislators mounted any genuine, sustained, and purposeful effort to promote and adopt tangible policy for environmental improvement and protection. They certainly have not made it a priority in any way, shape, or form.

I am pretty sure it is going to be up to young people, millennials, and those who are going to inherit this earth from Old White Conservatives, to ensure that the planets biological integrity is preserved.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-19-2019), ThatOwlWoman (09-19-2019)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Worth noting >>

In my entire message board career, I literally cannot remember a single thread started by a conservative stating any genuine concern for the environment, for wildlife, for the biological integrity of our planet.

I literally can never think of a time in the last three decades that Republican presidents and legislators mounted any genuine, sustained, and purposeful effort to promote and adopt tangible policy for environmental improvement and protection. They certainly have not made it a priority in any way, shape, or form.

I am pretty sure it is going to be up to young people, millennials, and those who are going to inherit this earth from Old White Conservatives, to ensure that the planets biological integrity is preserved.
    do you think we should pass laws protecting the eggs of sparrows, blackbirds and robins?.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 114 Posts

There shall be a new heavens and a new Earth
    It is very soon and it is good. Life would suck without faith in Christ and His words. It is the everfail of antichrists to try to replace The Lord and sell the phony failed one world order of their father Lucifer.
    Even so, Come, Lord Jesus
    I do not participate in delusion count me out

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Worth noting >>

I spent several years of my long career, over a decade, working as an environmental engineer. I designed and operated one of the largest recycling operations in the country. Permitting was encouraged by the Republican administration (over the objections of a minority of Democrats in the legislature) for that large urban county because it saved the taxpayers a ton of money. The plant operated for over 25 years before a Democrat administration took over the county and stopped it. You?

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    It's beyond scary; it is terrifying.

Looks like a vicious cycle going on.... fewer birds because of habitat loss and use of pesticides. Birds are our allies in controlling insects. Fewer birds = more pests, thus the need for increased use of pesticides, which in turn causes fewer birds.
    Are you people fucking kidding me? Are we really expected to believe that Liberals are concerned about birds, while promoting wind energy which kills birds and bats by the Millions? Seriously, get the fuck out of here.
    Every life matters

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

MAGA MAN (09-19-2019), TOP (09-20-2019)

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iewitness View Post
    There shall be a new heavens and a new Earth
    It is very soon and it is good. Life would suck without faith in Christ and His words. It is the everfail of antichrists to try to replace The Lord and sell the phony failed one world order of their father Lucifer.
    You see, God actually wants us to use up all the resources, because when everything is gone, it will signal the return of sweet Jesus to come kill all the Muslims, Catholics, Mormons, Hindus and Tree-Hugger-know-it-alls. If we don't end the world, God will just end it Himself. We've got to do our duty to speed up the process. The Bible says that God has given the world and everything in it for man to use. God wants us to do with it whatever we please! From Genesis, Chapter 1:26 we learn that God has given us dominion over "every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth!" So much for endangered species! That's why we have an Endangered Species Dinner each year here at Landover! To celebrate God's love for wild game hunters! And show that God has given us any species or plant we want to eat, even if it happens to be the last of its kind! Amen? In Genesis Chapter 1:29, the Lord continues letting us know that he has given us "every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of the earth." And we just learned recently that plants create the air we breathe. God is telling us then, that we can use up the air in any way we see fit! Once the air is gone, it just means that Jesus will come back, so the more pollution, the better! Glory!

— Golda Meir

ברוך השם

18. The Following User Groans At Guno צְבִי For This Awful Post:

MAGA MAN (09-19-2019)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (09-19-2019)

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Worth noting >>

While libs pretend to care about the environment and wildlife, and promote wind energy which is literally decimating the avian population. Just because libs start a million threads pretending to care, doesn't make it so. You people are complete frauds.
    Every life matters

21. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

MAGA MAN (09-19-2019)

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    All these malls that are dying or dead- level the buildings, plant hundreds of trees, build ponds and turn them into bird habitats.
    That is a great idea actually.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

MAGA MAN (09-19-2019)

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Worth noting >>

In all fairness to our Reichwing friends, I *have* seen them advocate for *some* environmental issues, mostly those pertaining to deer and other wild game. That's so that they have something to shoot besides each other, school kids, and ppl at concerts and in night clubs.

I wish we could tag ppl on here because some kneejerkers need to get a knee.... in the groin.... figuratively speaking, of course.

25. The Following User Groans At ThatOwlWoman For This Awful Post:

MAGA MAN (09-19-2019)

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (09-19-2019), Guno צְבִי (09-19-2019)