Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: how many on the right here back background checks?

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 239 Times in 227 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Why is a delay of any legal purchase okay? How many crimes are stopped as a result of background checks? Can anyone define that? Most guns used in crimes are stolen; the one's used in almost all mass shootings were legally obtained. What is accomplished by them?
    That is impossible to tell. I do not disagree with the fact that most weapons used in mass shootings are (1) obtained illegally (2) stolen or (3) committed by a person that passed the background check.

Criminals will find a way to get the guns. The background check is supposed to make it harder for them to do so. It also is designed in part to help stop crimes of passion.

I would ask in return: What harm does it do to a legal gun purchaser who plans to use it for legal activities?

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,762 Times in 7,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

I agree that the Constitution of the United States, Bill of Rights amendments, guarantees the right of every American to bear arms.

I don't disagree with that; background checks don't seem to be complying with the 2nd Amendment. Registration is a tough call, too, although we do require registration for other things without encountering Constitutional problems.

Also, we're Americans and capping each other's asses is what we've done since the birth of our nation.

There is, however, no Constitutional stipulation guaranteeing the right to privately own grenade launchers, nuclear weapons, or even assault rifles.

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I agree that the Constitution of the United States, Bill of Rights amendments, guarantees the right of every American to bear arms.

I don't disagree with that; background checks don't seem to be complying with the 2nd Amendment. Registration is a tough call, too, although we do require registration for other things without encountering Constitutional problems.

Also, we're Americans and capping each other's asses is what we've done since the birth of our nation.

There is, however, no Constitutional stipulation guaranteeing the right to privately own grenade launchers, nuclear weapons, or even assault rifles.
    'assault rifles' are already banned, unless they are pre 1985.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Superfreak For This Post:

Truth Detector (09-18-2019)

5. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 948 Times in 862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    They already occur. They do not stop criminals.
    Or those who are not criminals until they start shooting.

6. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    The background check is supposed to make it harder for them to do so.
    Background checks do nothing to make it harder for criminals. Criminals don't walk into gun stores and fill out questionnaire, pay retail price for their guns and come back in two weeks to pick them up.

I would like to see even a single shrewd of evidence that this is how criminals obtain weapons. Got some?

It also is designed in part to help stop crimes of passion.
    That is another lame claim; that someone who is pissed off in a fit of passion is going to run to the gun store and buy a gun, then come back an shoot someone.

I would ask in return: What harm does it do to a legal gun purchaser who plans to use it for legal activities?
    The question isn't about "what harm"; but rather, why bother? If, in fact, it does nothing what the champions of it claim it does, why force hunters, hobbyists and target shooters to go through that pain and the added costs they are paying for this farce?
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

7. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

'assault rifles' are already banned, unless they are pre 1985.
    That ban, part of the "Brady Bill," was lifted during the Bush II administration.
    Dubya declared that the law was invalid because Brady hadn't been accused of deflating footballs yet.
    Either that or the Republicans were just being dicks again...even though Reagan signed the Brady Bill.

8. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I am guessing you are creating a straw man because you are scared to acknowledge that what I stated is accurate.

Do you dispute our per student spending vs. Europe or other first world countries?
    That could be true, I honestly don't know, but whatever we're spending, it clearly isn't enough. Teachers are underpaid. State school tuitions are higher than private school tuitions were just a short while ago. Student debt is a huge problem. Schools in underpriviliged communities lack resources and have high drop out rates.

More than any of that, however, is that being stupid is killing us as a nation. Have you noticed who's occupying the Oval Office these days?

9. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

background checks should be required............before people are allowed to post here.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Truth Detector (09-18-2019), USFREEDOM911 (09-22-2019)

11. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That ban, part of the "Brady Bill," was lifted during the Bush II administration.
    Dubya declared that the law was invalid because Brady hadn't been accused of deflating footballs yet.
    Either that or the Republicans were just being dicks again...even though Reagan signed the Brady Bill.
    Nope. That ban is still in effect. The brady bill had to do with the guns the media tried to pretend were assault rifles.

An assault rifle must have select fire capability.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Superfreak For This Post:

13. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That could be true, I honestly don't know, but whatever we're spending, it clearly isn't enough. Teachers are underpaid. State school tuitions are higher than private school tuitions were just a short while ago. Student debt is a huge problem. Schools in underpriviliged communities lack resources and have high drop out rates.

More than any of that, however, is that being stupid is killing us as a nation. Have you noticed who's occupying the Oval Office these days?
    I agree teachers are underpaid... but that is simply a question of where the funding is going, not the lack of funding.

Student debt is also a huge problem as you state... but that is a COST issue, not a funding one.

I agree that our educational system is failing us. Who controls that?

I agree Trump is a buffoon. But when you have two incredibly unethical people representing the two main parties, you are going to end up with one of the morons in the White House.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Superfreak For This Post:

15. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We have more than two unethical people representing both major parties, but in a democracy, the fault always lies with the general electorate.

It goes back to all of those under-educated dolts we see being interviewed by field reporters on cable news. Too many Americans look and sound like extras in the
    Star Wars cantina scene. I can't believe the drivel we hear from the mouths of the "general public."

It really makes the argument for coastal elitism prevailing until the problem is successfully addressed.
    Last edited by NiftyNiblick; 09-18-2019 at 02:29 PM.

16. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If you insist on making things up, Superfreak, this discussion is merely wasting bandwidth.
    What is it you think I made up?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Superfreak For This Post:

18. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Clueless doesn't know what an assault rifle is. In dumbfuck land, it means a gun that looks scary.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Callinectes (09-18-2019)

20. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    are there any here?
    Sure. Background checks are fine. Registration is the problem.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirthinksalot For This Post:

Callinectes (09-18-2019)

22. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Typical leftist; they think that EVERYTHING is about not spending enough. As if a Federal budget of $4 trillion isn't enough.

Educational spending is the single largest budget in every state. Yet it is never enough. Then we agree to spend more; and get fewer educated adults and more indoctrinated dumbasses like you.