Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Why is the stars and bars flag considered a racist symbol?

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I'm happily surprised that you see desecration of our flag as a rightful form of protest; most conservatives cannot see that -- even though the USSCt has ruled that it is protected speech.

Of course a protest would be pointless if it did not cause comment, unrest, thought, and even outrage -- which is why flag-desecration is sometimes used by protesters to get attention and make a point. Do you think if the media didn't cover them, and the rest of us ignored them, they'd find some other way to spark comment, unrest, thought, and outrage?
    Obviously you have no problem burning the first amendment right to protest
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

2. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    They didn't have to for it to exist.
    Never existed,it was an internal inssurection and nothing more.
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

3. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterAssassin View Post
    Ah, so you admit you're a moron.

Thanks for that.
    You obviously swallowed to much semen!
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

4. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Margot Frank View Post
    Never existed,it was an internal inssurection and nothing more.
    You really should have studied history when you were in school.

5. #110 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,519 Times in 11,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Not telling racists that they are idiots does not make them go away or "better" in some way, nor does it make me "better". Telling racists that I think they should hide their stupid in a closet can...

I choose to act in the hopes of a better future where idiots, at the very least, hide their stupid in the closet.
    Sadly Damo there will always be racists and I would rather they be in the open than hiding their racism. An unknown racist in a position of authority can and often does create troubles. Take the racist cop that hid from view shot a black kid and got away with it till his racism was known.

6. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,519 Times in 11,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

How do you feel about the follow-up news reports that show the victims' photos and names and a bit about them?

Personally, I think the media should show the uncensored carnage. Showing photos of the victims in happy smiling shots isn't nearly as emotionally-wrenching as showing them in pools of blood and chunks of flesh and brain.
    Showing the victims is a way to pay tribute to them. Showing the carnage I feel would be a burden on the family members. Just think how you would feel seeing your child or spouse with their brains blown out and blood everywhere? No I don't think that is a good idea. It could contribute to PTSD among viewers. Seeing your friends killed is a reason GI's suffer from PTSD so often.

7. #112 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,614 Times in 21,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Not telling racists that they are idiots does not make them go away or "better" in some way, nor does it make me "better". Telling racists that I think they should hide their stupid in a closet can...

I choose to act in the hopes of a better future where idiots, at the very least, hide their stupid in the closet.
    I would much rather them not hide it. During the Bush administration I was often told there was no racism left in America, I think the trumpet ministration gave them mission to open up about it. Now we know the truth.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

8. #113 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 429 Times in 408 Posts
    Blog Entries

You obviously swallowed to much semen!
    Thanks again for admitting you're a moron. Please stop projecting your gay fantasies across the forum.

9. #114 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

You defeated your own argument. Yes, the meaning of symbols can change over time. That is what has happened with the Confederate flag. Now it is seen as a symbol of racism.
    Remember what I said in the beginning? It's seen as a racist symbol because the media decided to make it one. So yes, now because most people think it's racist, it's become a racist symbol

The desire to maintain whites’ dominant position in the racial hierarchy of the United States was at the root of the rediscovery of Confederate symbols."
    No, the revival of Confederate symbols was about states' rights and segregation. It wasn't about Whites wanting to remain at the top of some racial hierarchy. It was about Whites wanting to be left alone by the federal government so that they could have their own spaces.

10. #115 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Remember what I said in the beginning? It's seen as a racist symbol because the media decided to make it one. So yes, now because most people think it's racist, it's become a racist symbol
    Wrong. It was largely ignored until racist groups in the 1940s revived it.

No, the revival of Confederate symbols was about states' rights and segregation. It wasn't about Whites wanting to remain at the top of some racial hierarchy. It was about Whites wanting to be left alone by the federal government so that they could have their own spaces.
    The only "right" they were concerned about was the desire to remain segregated.

"Southern historian Gordon Rhea further wrote in 2011 that:

"It is no accident that Confederate symbols have been the mainstay of white supremacist organizations, from the Ku Klux Klan to the skinheads. They did not appropriate the Confederate battle flag simply because it was pretty. They picked it because it was the flag of a nation dedicated to their ideals: 'that the negro is not equal to the white man'. The Confederate flag, we are told, represents heritage, not hate. But why should we celebrate a heritage grounded in hate, a heritage whose self-avowed reason for existence was the exploitation and debasement of a sizeable segment of its population?"

https://web.archive.org/web/20110321...veholding.html
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

11. #116 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Obviously you have no problem burning the first amendment right to protest
    Say what?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

12. #117 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Wrong. It was largely ignored until racist groups in the 1940s revived it.
    They weren't seen as racist at the time. And either way, it's besides the point. As time went on, the stars and bars just became a symbol of the South. It was until rather recently that the media decided to make it about racism or slavery or whatever.

The only "right" they were concerned about was the desire to remain segregated.
    Even if that was the only right they cared about, it would still not be racist.

"Southern historian Gordon Rhea further wrote in 2011 that:

"It is no accident that Confederate symbols have been the mainstay of white supremacist organizations, from the Ku Klux Klan to the skinheads. They did not appropriate the Confederate battle flag simply because it was pretty. They picked it because it was the flag of a nation dedicated to their ideals: 'that the negro is not equal to the white man'. The Confederate flag, we are told, represents heritage, not hate. But why should we celebrate a heritage grounded in hate, a heritage whose self-avowed reason for existence was the exploitation and debasement of a sizeable segment of its population?"
    First of all, there are no "White Supremacist" organizations in the Western world. There are White Separatists, which the media calls "supremacist," because the media is anti-white.
    Secondly, the reason these groups like the Confederate flag is because, to them, it represents states' rights and racial separation. Not White Supremacy.
    And finally, these people are a tiny minority. To most people who use the flag, it's to represent the South. But as I said, that's changing now, because (((the media))) has decided to make it racist.

13. #118 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    They weren't seen as racist at the time. And either way, it's besides the point. As time went on, the stars and bars just became a symbol of the South. It was until rather recently that the media decided to make it about racism or slavery or whatever.
    Bullshit.

Even if that was the only right they cared about, it would still not be racist.
    Bullshit.

First of all, there are no "White Supremacist" organizations in the Western world. There are White Separatists, which the media calls "supremacist," because the media is anti-white.
    Bullshit.

Secondly, the reason these groups like the Confederate flag is because, to them, it represents states' rights and racial separation. Not White Supremacy.
    Bullshit. There is no difference between white supremacy and "racial separation." The latter is the result of the first.

And finally, these people are a tiny minority. To most people who use the flag, it's to represent the South. But as I said, that's changing now, because (((the media))) has decided to make it racist.
    Bullshit.

Welp, I'm done with your insanity and virulent racism. Although you are unfailingly civil, you're now on my ignore list which includes the worst racists of JPP. Enjoy their company, and good-bye.

14. #119 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Bullshit. There is no difference between white supremacy and "racial separation." The latter is the result of the first.

Bullshit.

Welp, I'm done with your insanity and virulent racism. Although you are unfailingly civil, you're now on my ignore list which includes the worst racists of JPP. Enjoy their company, and good-bye.
    I'm honestly disappointed that you can't let yourself be challenged.

15. #120 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    You really should have studied history when you were in school.
    Was a vice President of a CWRT,we didn't care for treasonist rebels
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate