Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the stars and bars flag considered a racist symbol?

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 429 Times in 408 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loving91390 View Post
    If we erase our past .... it will repeat itself .
    Not honoring symbols of treason, traitors and slavery isn't 'erasing' anything, tool factory.

Please be less stupid and stop crying.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CharacterAssassin For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-15-2019)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 158 Times in 148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterAssassin View Post
    Not honoring symbols of treason, traitors and slavery isn't 'erasing' anything, tool factory.

Please be less stupid and stop crying.
    Try asking our youth about our history .....

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,835 Times in 14,177 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding anus View Post
    Tell me shit for brains how can an inanimate object be racist?

“If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding heart View Post
    I am sure of it. But the point is if people don't react then there would be no need to defend anything and the supremacist would drop it and look for something else. It's like when people call me names I just ignore them and don't give them the satisfaction. If more people did that there would be less conflict in this country.
    Duh!The Confederate States was founded to keep it's black citizens in bondage!Racism 101
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason Melchizedek For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-15-2019)

7. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    It was adopted by the KKK as well as other white supremacist groups. There were a few KKK groups active in and around the St. Louis area when we lived there. Occasionally they would hand out recruitment flyers (mostly in rural that were predominantly white, of course -- wouldn't dare try that in a more diverse area! lol). Ppl who received them would sometimes contact the news stations about it, and they would show them on the air. They almost always had the stars and bars along with a cross and other symbols.
    It was racist long before that!
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,622 Times in 11,616 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    symbols are used to intimidate
    And if you react you are doing exactly what the group wants you to do.

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,627 Times in 9,295 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

And if you react you are doing exactly what the group wants you to do.
    Were you in the US or Confederate Army?
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I understand to some people any reminder of the south and the civil war is racist. While the reasons for the war may have been racist not all symbols had racial undertones. The confederate battle flag is one.

The Stars and bars flag had one purpose "Confederate battle flag distinct from the flag of the Confederacy, the "Stars and Bars," was created following the first major battle of the Civil War, at Bull Run near Manassas, Virginia, in July 1861, because in the heat of battle soldiers and commanders confused the Stars and Bars with the Union army's "Stars and Stripes."

https://teachinghistory.org/history-...istorian/19424
    Context is everything .

I would totally wear confederate flag boxer briefs or blow my nose on confederate flag hankerchiefs, and not feel like I was being remotely racist .

A gathering of buck toothed rednecks waving one at a trump rally while chanting "send her back!" obviously has racist overtones.

A state government flying one on public property is transmiting an insulting message to many of its black citizens by paying homage to a rebel army fighting to defend a Slave economy. Most seem to forget that flag is the confederate battle standard .

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (09-18-2019), ThatOwlWoman (09-17-2019)

12. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,608 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I understand to some people any reminder of the south and the civil war is racist. While the reasons for the war may have been racist not all symbols had racial undertones. The confederate battle flag is one.

The Stars and bars flag had one purpose "Confederate battle flag distinct from the flag of the Confederacy, the "Stars and Bars," was created following the first major battle of the Civil War, at Bull Run near Manassas, Virginia, in July 1861, because in the heat of battle soldiers and commanders confused the Stars and Bars with the Union army's "Stars and Stripes."

It is considered a racist symbol because the American Nazi Party uses the flag to symbolize their racism. There is no reason to go into it any further than that.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (09-17-2019)

14. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

The (((media))) made it a racist symbol because it's associated with a white culture. Simple as that.

15. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

The real answer? Its an attempt to remove the historical evidence that it was the democrats who propagated, slavery, Jim Crow, the KKK....etc., These symbols and monuments are just a reminder. Its nothing less than an act like Fascist Book Burning in order to rewrite history.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph For This Post:

Eagle_Eye (09-18-2019)

17. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    It is considered a racist symbol because the American Nazi Party uses the flag to symbolize their racism. There is no reason to go into it any further than that.
    Then using your standard the American flag is a racist symbol also because the American Nazi party also carries it at rallies. Both flags are just pieces of cloth that mean different things to different people.

When I see the American flag I see the symbol of the greatest nation on God's green earth. But when I see the confederate flag I see a reminder of a dark period in this nations history that should never be forgotten.

18. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    The (((media))) made it a racist symbol because it's associated with a white culture. Simple as that.
    I can agree with that.

19. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle-Eye View Post
    I agree and like I said before why did they pick that symbol? It's clear that using the battle flag the most recognized flag of the confederacy that would cause fear and anger in black people. I maintain that if people had ignored that symbol the supremacist would have dropped it and tried something else.
    Pretty hard to ignore a symbol when it's next to a burning cross in your front yard.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

20. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle-Eye View Post
    You fucking lefties love to throw that word around. It doesn't mean anything to me as I just consider the souse.
    Hey it's not my fault you're an inanimate object.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!