Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Majority of voters support free college, eliminating student debt

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I think you just don't like her so that is tainting your opinion..... I checked the things I believe are true....... You can do the same if you like.. I don't agree w/ her a lot, maybe as much as you, but IMHO when she is right, she is right & I am not gonna ignore it.

Racist white people never wanted Blacks educated. check

That still has an effect on today society. check

Until slavery and racism is addressed in this country we will never move forward. check

We remember the holocust check
    We remember Pearl Harbor check
    We remember 9/11 check
    We should forget slavery
    My response wasn’t about her. It’s not a personal thing.

I’m saying we don’t forget slavery. It is taught just like all the other subjects are taught and discussed. Depending on what sources one likes we can read about slavery on a daily basis. It’s remains still affect us to this day. But we don’t not talk about it or not teach our kids about it

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post

I’m saying we don’t forget slavery. It is taught just like all the other subjects are taught and discussed. Depending on what sources one likes we can read about slavery on a daily basis. It’s remains still affect us to this day. But we don’t not talk about it or not teach our kids about it
    Seems obvious but why don't you ask her, it is her thoughts/post....
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    How many of that 58% will change their minds when told it will increase taxes? That is why they are pushing these plans as being paid for by the wealthy only (including a "wealth" tax). It makes it more politically acceptable.

Democrats get a lot of their support by pushing anti-wealthy rhetoric.
    Most of the 58% don't pay taxes. That's why they vote 'rat.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

Earl (09-14-2019), Flash (09-14-2019)

5. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

I don't support free college for all.
    Ah, OK. Thanks for the clarification. Because it sure sounded like you were ready to support taxpayer funded college for at least some when you said this:

I did not suggest or recommend that at all. I'm saying tax payers don't need to pay for someone to get a degree in those subjects if your goal is a more competitive workforce. People can still pay for themselves or take out loans to study those topics if they so desire.
    If you don't support free college for any then why should you have much say in who might qualify for a program that helps some?

It's like you don't want this but if you're getting overridden then you want to control it anyway? How does that work? If you end up getting voted down you lost your say. If that's to be the case then we are proceeding despite your view. If you want to have some say in the matter you need to support a sensible way for America to produce a smarter workforce, not an exclusive one.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (09-14-2019)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cinnabar (09-14-2019)

8. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,

Ah, OK. Thanks for the clarification. Because it sure sounded like you were ready to support taxpayer funded college for at least some when you said this:

If you don't support free college for any then why should you have much say in who might qualify for a program that helps some?

It's like you don't want this but if you're getting overridden then you want to control it anyway? How does that work? If you end up getting voted down you lost your say. If that's to be the case then we are proceeding despite your view. If you want to have some say in the matter you need to support a sensible way for America to produce a smarter workforce, not an exclusive one.
    Two different topics here.

1) I don't support free college

2) I responded to a post about the purpose of college in preparing people for the work force. If that is the goal then certain majors do a far better job than others. IF you want to make college free for that reason we at least ought to focus on the best job producing majors.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

PoliTalker (09-14-2019)

10. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Good morning Flash,

I can't find current data, but at one time the largest number of students getting federal loans and grants were going for cosmetology.
    Then that must have turned out to be a huge success story. One of the most common small businesses in America is hair and nails. And so far, the big corporate power junkies have not figured out any way to take that business away from them as it has so many others.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

11. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (09-14-2019)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

evince (09-14-2019)

13. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    Source: theHill

A majority of voters said they support the idea of free state college and canceling student debt, according to a Hill-HarrisX poll released on Thursday.

The survey found that 58 percent of registered voters said they would support a proposal that would make public colleges, universities and trade schools tuition-free. The same group also said they would back a plan eliminating all existing student debt.

Forty-two percent of respondents said they would oppose such a proposal.
    "throwing money at the problem"

the line I have heard all my life when republicans speak of improving American education

The party has planned for decades to destroy American education by starvation

14. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

We would probably still have art without art history majors.
    I'm sure we would but I'm glad we have the fantastic variety of art that we do. And much of our art comes from people who got 'useless degrees.' Art is such an intangible contribution to society that a lot of people can't connect the dots between art and it's relevance to our culture and nation. And I would hazard a wild guess that among those who don't appreciate art, would be found a lot of conservative Trump fans.

Beginning Sunday, Sept 15th, on PBS, a new film by Ken Burns will document a uniquely American art form called Country Music. Ken Burns' films and documentaries are widely acclaimed and cherished.

If you're not familiar with the work of Ken Burns discovering him will be like an awakening. What an artist:

" 1982 nomination, Academy Award for Documentary Feature: Brooklyn Bridge (1981);
    1986 nomination, Academy Award for Documentary Feature: The Statue of Liberty (1985);
    1995 Emmy Award for Outstanding Informational Series: Baseball (1994);
    2010 Emmy Award for Outstanding Non-fiction Series: The National Parks: America's Best Idea (2009).

The Civil War received more than 40 major film and television awards, including two Emmy Awards, two Grammy Awards (one for Best Traditional Folk Album), the Producer of the Year Award from the Producers Guild of America, a People's Choice Award, a Peabody Award, a duPont-Columbia Award, a D. W. Griffith Award, and the $50,000 Lincoln Prize.[33][34][35]

In 2004, Burns received the S. Roger Horchow Award for Greatest Public Service by a Private Citizen, an award given out annually by Jefferson Awards.[36]

In 2010, the National Parks Conservation Association honored him and Dayton Duncan with the Robin W. Winks Award for Enhancing Public Understanding of National Parks. The award recognizes an individual or organization that has effectively communicated the values of the National Park System to the American public.[37] As of 2010, there is a Ken Burns Wing at the Jerome Liebling Center for Film, Photography and Video at Hampshire College.[38]

In 2012, Burns received the Washington University International Humanities Medal.[39] The medal, awarded biennially and accompanied by a cash prize of $25,000, is given to honor a person whose humanistic endeavors in scholarship, journalism, literature, or the arts have made a difference in the world. Past winners include Turkish novelist Orhan Pamuk in 2006, journalist Michael Pollan in 2008, and novelist and nonfiction writer Francine Prose in 2010.[40]

In 2013, Burns received the John Steinbeck Award, an award presented annually by Steinbeck's eldest son, Thomas, in collaboration with the John Steinbeck Family Foundation, San Jose State University, and The National Steinbeck Center.[41]

Burns was the Grand Marshal for the 2016 Pasadena Tournament of Roses' Rose Parade on New Year's Day in Pasadena, California.[42] The National Endowment for the Humanities selected Burns to deliver the 2016 Jefferson Lecture, the U.S. federal government's highest honor for achievement in the humanities, on the topic of race in America.[43] He was the 2017 recipient of The Nichols-Chancellor's Medal at Vanderbilt University.[44]

Burns worked as a cinematographer for the BBC, Italian television, and others, and in 1977, having completed some documentary short films, he began work on adapting David McCullough's book The Great Bridge, about the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge.[12] Developing a signature style of documentary filmmaking in which he "adopted the technique of cutting rapidly from one still picture to another in a fluid, linear fashion [and] then pepped up the visuals with 'first hand' narration gleaned from contemporary writings and recited by top stage and screen actors",[17] he made the feature documentary Brooklyn Bridge (1981), which earned an Academy Award nomination for Best Documentary and ran on PBS in the United States.

Following another documentary, The Shakers: Hands to Work, Hearts to God (1984), Burns was Oscar-nominated again for The Statue of Liberty (1985). Burns frequently collaborates with author and historian Geoffrey C. Ward, notably on documentaries such as The Civil War, Jazz, Baseball, and the 10 part TV series The Vietnam War (aired September 2017).

Burns has gone on to a long, successful career directing and producing well-received television documentaries and documentary miniseries on subjects as diverse as arts and letters (Thomas Hart Benton, 1988); mass media (Empire of the Air: The Men Who Made Radio, 1991); sports (Baseball, 1994, updated with 10th Inning, 2010); politicians (Thomas Jefferson, 1997); music (Jazz, 2001); literature (Mark Twain, 2001); war (the 15-hour World War II documentary The War, 2007); environmentalism (The National Parks, 2009); and the Civil War (the 11-hour The Civil War, 1990, which All Media Guide says "many consider his 'chef d'oeuvre'").[17]

Burns was born on July 29, 1953, in Brooklyn, New York, the son of Lyla Smith (née Tupper) Burns,[6] a biotechnician,[7] and Robert Kyle Burns, at the time a graduate student in cultural anthropology at Columbia University in Manhattan.[6] The documentary filmmaker Ric Burns is his younger brother.[8][9]

Burns' academic family moved frequently. Among places they called home were Saint-Véran, France; Newark, Delaware; and Ann Arbor where his father taught at the University of Michigan.[7] Burns' mother was found to have breast cancer when he was three and she died when he was 11,[7] a circumstance that he said helped shape his career; he credited his father-in-law, a psychologist, with a significant insight: "He told me that my whole work was an attempt to make people long gone come back alive."[7] Well-read as a child, he absorbed the family encyclopedia, preferring history to fiction.

Upon receiving an 8 mm film movie camera for his 17th birthday, he shot a documentary about an Ann Arbor factory. He graduated from Pioneer High School in Ann Arbor in 1971.[10] Turning down reduced tuition at the University of Michigan, he attended Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts, where students are graded through narrative evaluations rather than letter grades and where students create self-directed academic concentrations instead of choosing a traditional major.[7] He worked in a record store to pay his tuition. Living on as little as $2,500 for two years in Walpole, New Hampshire[11] he would study under photographers Jerome Liebling, Elaine Mayes, and others. Burns earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in film studies and design[12] in 1975.[7]

To produce work for the network well into the next decade, Burns made an agreement with PBS in 2007.[18] According to a 2017 piece in the New Yorker, Burns and his company, Florentine Films, have selected topics for documentaries slated for release by 2030. These topics include country music, the Mayo Clinic, Muhammad Ali, Ernest Hemingway, the American Revolution, Lyndon B. Johnson, Barack Obama, Winston Churchill, the American criminal justice system, and African-American history from the Civil War to the Great Migration.[19] "

wiki

If you don't like Country Music yet, this would be a fantastic time to discover it through this film. Of course, I have not even seen it yet, (nobody has) but I am familiar with his work and greatly looking forward to it. Nobody tells a story like Ken Burns. I am sure that watching this film will be like a peek into the heartbeat and soul of America.

15. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Two different topics here.

1) I don't support free college

2) I responded to a post about the purpose of college in preparing people for the work force. If that is the goal then certain majors do a far better job than others. IF you want to make college free for that reason we at least ought to focus on the best job producing majors.
    "Throwing money at the problem"

what you have told me since I have known you on the internets

16. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

I'm sure we would but I'm glad we have the fantastic variety of art that we do. And much of our art comes from people who got 'useless degrees.' Art is such an intangible contribution to society that a lot of people can't connect the dots between art and it's relevance to our culture and nation. And I would hazard a wild guess that among those who don't appreciate art, would be found a lot of conservative Trump fans.

Beginning Sunday, Sept 15th, on PBS, a new film by Ken Burns will document a uniquely American art form called Country Music. Ken Burns' films and documentaries are widely acclaimed and cherished.

If you're not familiar with the work of Ken Burns discovering him will be like an awakening. What an artist:

" 1982 nomination, Academy Award for Documentary Feature: Brooklyn Bridge (1981);
    1986 nomination, Academy Award for Documentary Feature: The Statue of Liberty (1985);
    1995 Emmy Award for Outstanding Informational Series: Baseball (1994);
    2010 Emmy Award for Outstanding Non-fiction Series: The National Parks: America's Best Idea (2009).

The Civil War received more than 40 major film and television awards, including two Emmy Awards, two Grammy Awards (one for Best Traditional Folk Album), the Producer of the Year Award from the Producers Guild of America, a People's Choice Award, a Peabody Award, a duPont-Columbia Award, a D. W. Griffith Award, and the $50,000 Lincoln Prize.[33][34][35]

In 2004, Burns received the S. Roger Horchow Award for Greatest Public Service by a Private Citizen, an award given out annually by Jefferson Awards.[36]

In 2010, the National Parks Conservation Association honored him and Dayton Duncan with the Robin W. Winks Award for Enhancing Public Understanding of National Parks. The award recognizes an individual or organization that has effectively communicated the values of the National Park System to the American public.[37] As of 2010, there is a Ken Burns Wing at the Jerome Liebling Center for Film, Photography and Video at Hampshire College.[38]

In 2012, Burns received the Washington University International Humanities Medal.[39] The medal, awarded biennially and accompanied by a cash prize of $25,000, is given to honor a person whose humanistic endeavors in scholarship, journalism, literature, or the arts have made a difference in the world. Past winners include Turkish novelist Orhan Pamuk in 2006, journalist Michael Pollan in 2008, and novelist and nonfiction writer Francine Prose in 2010.[40]

In 2013, Burns received the John Steinbeck Award, an award presented annually by Steinbeck's eldest son, Thomas, in collaboration with the John Steinbeck Family Foundation, San Jose State University, and The National Steinbeck Center.[41]

Burns was the Grand Marshal for the 2016 Pasadena Tournament of Roses' Rose Parade on New Year's Day in Pasadena, California.[42] The National Endowment for the Humanities selected Burns to deliver the 2016 Jefferson Lecture, the U.S. federal government's highest honor for achievement in the humanities, on the topic of race in America.[43] He was the 2017 recipient of The Nichols-Chancellor's Medal at Vanderbilt University.[44]

Burns worked as a cinematographer for the BBC, Italian television, and others, and in 1977, having completed some documentary short films, he began work on adapting David McCullough's book The Great Bridge, about the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge.[12] Developing a signature style of documentary filmmaking in which he "adopted the technique of cutting rapidly from one still picture to another in a fluid, linear fashion [and] then pepped up the visuals with 'first hand' narration gleaned from contemporary writings and recited by top stage and screen actors",[17] he made the feature documentary Brooklyn Bridge (1981), which earned an Academy Award nomination for Best Documentary and ran on PBS in the United States.

Following another documentary, The Shakers: Hands to Work, Hearts to God (1984), Burns was Oscar-nominated again for The Statue of Liberty (1985). Burns frequently collaborates with author and historian Geoffrey C. Ward, notably on documentaries such as The Civil War, Jazz, Baseball, and the 10 part TV series The Vietnam War (aired September 2017).

Burns has gone on to a long, successful career directing and producing well-received television documentaries and documentary miniseries on subjects as diverse as arts and letters (Thomas Hart Benton, 1988); mass media (Empire of the Air: The Men Who Made Radio, 1991); sports (Baseball, 1994, updated with 10th Inning, 2010); politicians (Thomas Jefferson, 1997); music (Jazz, 2001); literature (Mark Twain, 2001); war (the 15-hour World War II documentary The War, 2007); environmentalism (The National Parks, 2009); and the Civil War (the 11-hour The Civil War, 1990, which All Media Guide says "many consider his 'chef d'oeuvre'").[17]

Burns was born on July 29, 1953, in Brooklyn, New York, the son of Lyla Smith (née Tupper) Burns,[6] a biotechnician,[7] and Robert Kyle Burns, at the time a graduate student in cultural anthropology at Columbia University in Manhattan.[6] The documentary filmmaker Ric Burns is his younger brother.[8][9]

Burns' academic family moved frequently. Among places they called home were Saint-Véran, France; Newark, Delaware; and Ann Arbor where his father taught at the University of Michigan.[7] Burns' mother was found to have breast cancer when he was three and she died when he was 11,[7] a circumstance that he said helped shape his career; he credited his father-in-law, a psychologist, with a significant insight: "He told me that my whole work was an attempt to make people long gone come back alive."[7] Well-read as a child, he absorbed the family encyclopedia, preferring history to fiction.

Upon receiving an 8 mm film movie camera for his 17th birthday, he shot a documentary about an Ann Arbor factory. He graduated from Pioneer High School in Ann Arbor in 1971.[10] Turning down reduced tuition at the University of Michigan, he attended Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts, where students are graded through narrative evaluations rather than letter grades and where students create self-directed academic concentrations instead of choosing a traditional major.[7] He worked in a record store to pay his tuition. Living on as little as $2,500 for two years in Walpole, New Hampshire[11] he would study under photographers Jerome Liebling, Elaine Mayes, and others. Burns earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in film studies and design[12] in 1975.[7]

To produce work for the network well into the next decade, Burns made an agreement with PBS in 2007.[18] According to a 2017 piece in the New Yorker, Burns and his company, Florentine Films, have selected topics for documentaries slated for release by 2030. These topics include country music, the Mayo Clinic, Muhammad Ali, Ernest Hemingway, the American Revolution, Lyndon B. Johnson, Barack Obama, Winston Churchill, the American criminal justice system, and African-American history from the Civil War to the Great Migration.[19] "

wiki

If you don't like Country Music yet, this would be a fantastic time to discover it through this film. Of course, I have not even seen it yet, (nobody has) but I am familiar with his work and greatly looking forward to it. Nobody tells a story like Ken Burns. I am sure that watching this film will be like a peek into the heartbeat and soul of America.
    I LOVE KEN BURNS

he is a national treasure

17. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

WACK is a dishonest "person"

he waxes reasonable right up until the rubber meets the road

I have "internets" known him since early 2000s

18. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It is not taught in schools

the repercussions of it throughout our history is buried by the right in this nation in every way they can think of

19. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Who will pay for the debt from the phony bankrupt schools??
    Everyone. These pie in the sky policy proposals by leftist lunatics are simply untenable. Taxing the rich isn't going to cover it. In fact if we confiscated every penny from the top 1%, then everyone else's taxes would have to be increased by 300% to 900%. And that's only assuming the top 1% would continue to work and produce while having 100% of their money confiscated. Are libs incapable of simple math?
    Every life matters

20. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

Earl (09-14-2019)

21. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello evince,

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    WACK is a dishonest "person"
    I don't believe that.

he waxes reasonable right up until the rubber meets the road
    Cawacko is a very intelligent poster, extremely tolerant and well mannered, and quite sincere. I wish everyone would post with such elan.

I have "internets" known him since early 2000s
    Thanks for your view, but I have been here quite long enough to get to know cawacko well enough myself. And in all that time you haven't learned to appreciate him for his valuable contribution to the discussions that I was able to see within weeks of joining?

Nobody should join an online discussion with the intent to shut out voices different from their own. It's the diversity of America that is represented here. Diversity is a beautiful thing. It's the spirit of America. Without that diversity of views this place would be so boring nobody would come. It would be like a ghost town. Maybe a post or two a day. JPP is freedom of speech with little constraint. And that means no matter what your view, you can post it here. That takes all types of views to create. We need to remember that and value the input of others for it's worth.

22. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello evince,

I don't believe that.

Cawacko is a very intelligent poster, extremely tolerant and well mannered, and quite sincere. I wish everyone would post with such elan.

Thanks for your view, but I have been here quite long enough to get to know cawacko well enough myself. And in all that time you haven't learned to appreciate him for his valuable contribution to the discussions that I was able to see within weeks of joining?

Nobody should join an online discussion with the intent to shut out voices different from their own. It's the diversity of America that is represented here. Diversity is a beautiful thing. It's the spirit of America. Without that diversity of views this place would be so boring nobody would come. It would be like a ghost town. Maybe a post or two a day. JPP is freedom of speech with little constraint. And that means no matter what your view, you can post it here. That takes all types of views to create. We need to remember that and value the input of others for it's worth.
    waste your time on him

he is playing you like a fiddle

he has defended all the evil the republican party has done in all the years I have posted around him

He defended the Iraq war

until it was obvious I was correct about it

he has defended the Bush economic ideas

until it was obvious I was correct about it

he is that typical republican

he defends all the evil they do

he denies all the facts that prove its evil

until its too obvious

then he backs away

then a few years later he defends all the evil and lies again

they hope you forget

I don't forget